Beiträge von mjdano

OK I upgraded my system via the dashboard to 1.7 the other day and today started to have some issues. So i checked and update 1.8 was out. I did the 1.8 update and the system got no better web page kept timing out and giving issues loading. So I then attempted to reboot the system that seems to be a bad mistake. Now the system freezes every time it tries to boot after getting the DHCP lease. If I unplug the network and reboot the system will try to get a lease then fail and give a message stating "No working leases in persistent database - sleeping" this does not seem to mater If I try and go in to recovery mode gets to the same place and freezes. Any ideas where to start trouble shooting this would be great.

Just as an FYI I did verify that the DHCP server is running correctly and everything is ok with it.

EDIT:

Ok I seem to have the system booting now I had to trick the system to boot to get it past the DHCP issue. Seems there was a problem because the only thing I changed was I removed the DNS servers that I had added to the web gui instead of letting the DHCP give the system the servers.

EDIT:2

OK so I thought everything was fine then started to get same issues in GUI Error pops up "An error has occured" if I click show details I get "Communication failed". So i went to the CLI of the box and did a omv-firstaid, reset network, IPv4 DHCP no IPv6 WOL yes. get the message "Configuring network interface. Please wait...". Then the next thing the console displays is

{"response':null,"error":{"code":7003,"message":"Failed to read from socket: Resource temporarily unavailable","trace":"exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to read from socket: Resource temporarily unavailable' in \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc.inc:168\nStack trace:\n#0 \/usr\/sbin\/omv-rpc(107): OMVRpc::exec('Network', 'setIface', Array, Array, 2)\n#1 {main}"}}
    Failed to execute RPC (service=Network, method=setIface)

I have not done any configuration changes outside of the GUI for the system and have only done updates through the GUI (i'm not very good with linux/unix systems, more of a network systems guy) help would be great.

Ok so this morning I did some updates from the update manager and one of them seems to have broken my webui. After reading other threads about issues I was trying some of the ideas from the other threads to see if I could figure out what is going on. here is where I got to and am now stuck at not having much more of a clue. Here is the output of the service nginx restart that I get back.

root@openmediavault:~# service nginx restart
    Restarting nginx: nginx: [emerg] invalid number of arguments in "server_names_hash_bucket_size" directive in /etc/nginx/conf.d/o penmediavault-nginx.conf:1
    nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

If I look at the /etc/nginx/conf.d/openmediavault-nginx.conf file this is the only output in the file.

server_names_hash_bucket_size ;

If I remember correctly there was a nginx update in the update manager that I did. There was also an update for openmediavault-extplorer that failed. Not sure if that was what lead to the problem or not but any help or ideas would be great.

Ok So I'm really new to OMV and don't have a lot of Linux experience. The issue I'm having is I have got the bit-torrent plugin to install and configure but all of my downloads just sit at a stopped state. I can't seem to start any of them. I tried to do a couple of quick searches and can't seem to come up with anything. Everything looks right but I don't know what I'm looking for to see if anything is wrong. All I know is I don't have any errors and I haven't seen any errors.

I decided to install a fresh system with OMV 1.0 after playing with the previous versions for a couple of weeks. The installation seemed to go just fine but now I want to add the 1 TB HDD's that I have in the system as a RAID 5 setup. since I have only a little experience with OMV I though I would see if anybody could help figure out if I missed a step or if I really do have a problem with my system.

The steps I followed for this setup so far are: 1st I installed the system with the 5 x 1TB drives disconnected from the system. 2nd shutdown the system after a successful install and attached the drives. 3rd powered on the system and made sure the drives showed up. 4th selected each of the drives and did a quick wipe on each drive. 5th after each drive was wiped I selected the RAID Management and clicked create. 6th named the raid array left it as RAID 5 and selected each of the HDD's. Next I select save and answer yes to the confirmation question then I get the following error. At this point I'm lost as to what I need to try to fix the issue. Anny help would be great.

Failed to execute command 'omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l raid5 -n 5 -N DataStore /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sdf 2>&1': mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric mdadm: super1.x cannot open /dev/sdb: Device or resource busy mdadm: chunk size defaults to 512K mdadm: size set to 4398032281088K mdadm: largest drive (/dev/sdb) exceeds size (4398032281088K) by more than 1% mdadm: creation continuing despite oddities due to --run mdadm: Defaulting to version ddf metadata mdadm: failed to open /dev/sdb after earlier success - aborting

Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l raid5 -n 5 -N DataStore /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sdf 2>&1': mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric
    mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric
    mdadm: super1.x cannot open /dev/sdb: Device or resource busy
    mdadm: chunk size defaults to 512K
    mdadm: size set to 4398032281088K
    mdadm: largest drive (/dev/sdb) exceeds size (4398032281088K) by more than 1%
    mdadm: creation continuing despite oddities due to --run
    mdadm: Defaulting to version ddf metadata
    mdadm: failed to open /dev/sdb after earlier success - aborting' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/raidmgmt.inc:222
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceRaidMgmt->create(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('create', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(501): OMVRpc::exec('RaidMgmt', 'create', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

ryecoaaron,

Thank you for the reply I did get the software Raid 5 working after reading your post. It made me go back and look closer at the BIOS settings on the mobo and expansion card. the mobo was set for IDE not raid. once I switched that in the bios and rebooted I was able to set the raid with all 5 drives in OMV.

My main reason for wanting the raid was redundancy my home NAS houses all my Music, Movies and recorded TV shows that are accessible from multiple PCs, xbox, PS3 and anything else that might be able to play the files. I also backup my wifes PC with the pictures on to it.

How soon are we talking before 1.0 will be out weeks or months?

Ok so a quick intro, I’m completely new to the OpenMediaVault OS/NAS setup. I’m currently replacing an Amahi 7 server. My main reasoning is while Amahi was easy to use in the last update from 6 to 7 they decided to start to charge for every little add-on to the system and broke a lot of the add-on that were working before. So I decided to look for a new home NAS setup. I looked at freeNAS, openNAS and some others and decided on OMV. I’ve installed it twice on different systems to see how it ran and play around and now have installed it on my main NAS system, a HP DC4400 Core 2 6600 CPU, 4GB ram, 74G WD 10K Raptor OS drive and 5 750G SATA drives. The OS & 3 750s are on the onboard sata controllers the other 2 750s are on a sata expansion card.

So here are my questions that I need a little help with. I can’t do a raid 5 with all 5 drives since the system will not let me mix the drives from the 2 controllers. On Amahi I had the drives setup as a Greypool array which was ok. I see with OMV I have the option of SnapRAID. What performance/advantages would SnapRAID give me over Greypool? As I understand it buy looking over the setup both of them use Volumes on the drives not the entire drive like a RAID 5 setup would. I know that with Greypool only the directories I choose are duplicated on multiple drives, I’m not sure how SnapRAID works. I haven’t found any real good explanations of how to setup SnapRAID from a completely fresh install. I looked around the forums & wiki but most stuff assumes you either know the system or have a system running and your adding it.

Which leads to my second question., Is there an updated location for Guides & Tutorials? I looked on the new forum and didn’t see it. Only the old forum link is all I can find.

So far I really like the system and think you guys are doing a top notch job getting a system working that’s easy to use. Thanks for the hard work and keep rocking it.