Beiträge von tom_tav

I like OpenHAB because of the broad hardware support, completely open source and a better/more modern design then some others. But i didnt dig into it too much, maybe there are better solutions. If you know any pls post.
    Theres openenergymonitor.org for the hardware side, at the moment im thinking about intalling a combination of OpenHAB, openenergymonitor and some honeywell/homematic/knx components.

yeah this very nice comparsion (interesting to read all the pages, not only the summary) made me try xfs again, till zfs arrives on omv ;)

i use it on my backupserver, which means large and lot of small files. i will see

LVM aka Volume Group as subzero said. For filesystem i personally use xfs on big volumes, no 16tb limit if you go big. The other pro and cons are minor for most of the users - imho ;)

ext4 is used by the majority of users, so maybe its more easy if you dont wanna dive into it too deep. But as said before, there is (was?) a 16tb limit on ext4 implementations.

Zitat

SMB services are included by default in the omv core. Netatalk is a plugin but as it gets installed it also gets into the avahi config.

Sure, i know, im using these services ;)

And true, they have the extra option fields which helps. On Avahi i miss it.

Ah, now i understand your comment regarding service discovery.

I need to play around with the main config file avahi-daemon.conf. Thats why i asked for the plugin, if there is a place to mod this file. Would be nice in general to have this advanced edit options for services (like netatalk, samba,...) but i also understand the confusion and problems this possibility adds.

Guys now you confuse me ;)

I did read some posts regarding avahi error msgs.David says no, aaron says service discovery. Gentlemen, can you enlighten me please! ;)

EDIT: well, avahi seems to run

root@x:~# ps ax | grep avah
    2084 pts/1 S+ 0:00 grep avah
    2598 ? S 0:11 avahi-daemon: running [x.local]
    2600 ? S 0:00 avahi-daemon: chroot helper

any problem to edit the config file or will it be overwritten by omv?

Didnt look into netatalk (honestly) so maybe my question is silly ;)

When adding or changing afp shares in omv it seems omv restarts the netatalkd. Pity if you have a timemachine or filecopy running, it drops all connections for all users. Maybe there is a more elegant way

4gb is enough as long as you dont use zfs (which is no option at the moment). you install amd 64. A friend with similar config says it can transcode 2 streams to ipads at the same time. On my config i use 1:1 streaming to my clients in the local network (1080p).
    Configure the hdd with volume groups, so its easier to expand it later.
    bios and tobi mod versions are ok.

Is there anybody here who is fit with strongswan/ipsec? Tunnels are up but i have small problems understanding the routing part and need input regarding iptables/firewalld ;)

Thanks!

David
    For me the main argument for LXC is this: https://wiki.debian.org/LXC. Well docker is also official supported so thats too.

Adding panamax means adding another project which can be good or not so good. In endeffect we dont want to get bogged down like F...nas cause of a unflexible structure and endless dependencies, arent we?

I dont know if its worth to hunt for a huge can do everything frontend for lxc/docker, we shouldnt forget its still a nas and not a bare metal vm server.

With jails, containers and so on its a difficult story. For the amateurs ;) its too complicated, whatever frontend you run. For the pros its never fulfill all wishes. And to add manual stuff ... more easy if not everything is influenced by the master of all config guis.
    I will play around with lxc the next days, then i know more. Afaik there are only some basic settings (network, mounts,...) which everybody needs and which should be not too complicated to implement in a gui. Starting and stopping as service too. But the rest ... we will see

P.S. Arm is for me not important, dont have arm machines except my iPhone/Pads ;)

EDIT: what i did read LXC runs on ARM!

Easy example: Transmission.
    If you want to manage the bt traffic, the easiest way is by ip based firewall rules.
    You can bind Transmission to another port/ip address, but this works only for incoming traffic, outgoing would be over the default interface.
    If you use a container you create a virtual network interface with its own network settings and voila, transmission works like on its own host. Same for shares/mount, here you can specify what the container can access. You cant do the easy way with chroot environments.
    This beside the usual sandbox stuff. Virtualization for stuff like this is overkill, especially on small machines. Containers lower the administration overhead significant (no need to update the os in every machine,...)

Same true for public services (web server, private cloud,...), if you like to create extra shares (another instance of samba/netatalk/...) on your lan backup box for your dmz, without compromising security,...

My first approach to jails on bsd was "why do i need this", after little bit of using it i really started to like the possibilities.

Imho for most services its not necessary and therefore i like OMV more then F...nas where all plugins run inside jails. But the option to put stuff in containers would be the swiss army knife of NAS ... for me ;)