Beiträge von neoxCRO

Install Debian 11 via this ISO: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-incluring-firmware/archive/11.8.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-11.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso. Then install OMV 6 via the installation script. The ISO contains non-free firmware, including from Realtek. The Proxmox kernel already includes these drivers. Second possibility... as Soma said, install Debian 12 and OMV7 beta right away. That's where the non-free drivers come in.

Thanks! Will test for now what will happened. I got it working - if it fails I will give a try or wait for omv7 stable version.

Because it's a

Lots of posts here about issues with Realtek and Linux.

What you can try is to use the debian 11 net-inst non-free firmware ISO to see if it recognizes the NIC. It might have drivers for it.

Or, just go with Debian 12 ISO and OMV7 since they merged the non-free firmware on it.

Ok, I get it. But why does Proxmox work without problems? I know it is based on Debian too.

I haven't looked into kernel differences etc. do you know maybe?

I understand what you're saying, but I think you misunderstood or I didn't explain well.

Ethernet on the motherboard does not work during installation, even if I select it as desired.

That's why I used an ethernet to usb adapter for the installation.

I installed omv6 five times, trying different combinations. Always ethernet on the motherboard does not give signs of life during installation. After installation it works fine.

Greeting,

I have a problem with ethernet when installing OMV6. There is no way to assign DHCP during installation, and when I enter a manual IP, the Internet does not connect either (believe me, I typed correct static IP address) . When continuing the installation, the error 'Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org' occurs. Of course, because the Internet is not connected.

I have an ethernet to USB adapter that I use for my laptop, so I plugged it in and installed OMV6 that way.

After installation, the ethernet to usb device is not assigned an IP! I disconnected the cable and plugged it directly into the ethernet port of the motherboard. I rebooted and now the connection works properly. I don't know why the problem is with the installation.

I'm afraid that now there will be a problem with the connection during server operation, and I don't want that at all.

I used to run Proxmox on this machine and ethernet worked fine. The problem occurs only with OMV6 installation.

With DHCP and the router, I never had any problems. I have another server where I run Proxmox and VM, there was never a problem with ethernet.

Also, I tried installing OMV6 inside Proxmox on this machine to make sure I wasn't crazy. When I use Proxmox everything works fine.

Weird!? ;(

ethernet to usb model: tp-link UE300
    Ethernet on motherboard: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet

Hi, are any of you using QNAP TR-004 on OMV6? Are there any problems?

I have tried various cases for HDD, but there are always problems with UASP or something else.

I have the option of going to SATA ports because I have a motherboard with 6 SATA ports, but I prefer a mini PC because of the power consumption ;(

ok, so the problem was not solved by limiting the container to 2GB of RAM.

I switched to another docker aymoulin/jdownloader docker image and now everything works fine.

Anyone using jlesage/jdownloader-2, there is a possibility of the same problem. I don't know for what reason.

I'm running jDownloader 2 inside docker. I realized that jDownloader crashes my entire system and restarts the server. I didn't know where the problem was for a long time, so I turned off all the additional things one by one (plex, qbittorrent, jackett, radarr and so on.)

I could not reach that 24h online status until I turned off jDownloader2.

Here jDownloader2 docker is down and OMV has been running for 2 days straight!!

The sys log shows absolutely nothing, there is no record what happened (or I don't see?)

Docker Compose File:

Code
    version: '3'
    services:
      jdownloader-2:
        image: jlesage/jdownloader-2

ports:
          - "5800:5800"
        volumes:
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-b1eebd2a-03f5-4af8-bf49-1833d447c527/Docker/jdownloader-2/config:/config:rw
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-b1eebd2a-03f5-4af8-bf49-1833d447c527/sharePC/jDownloader_Downloads:/output:rw

System crashes occur regardless of whether jDownloader is downloading something or not.

This is very strange to me and I don't see the reason for what is happening. I can't find anyone having similar problems anywhere.

By the way, I'm running OMV6 inside proxmox. Only the OMV6 virtual machine is restarted, the other virtual machines continue to run quite normally. So I wouldn't say it's a hardware problem.

Am I doing something wrong? :/

I personally run OMV6 on proxmox. I gave it 2 cores and 4gb of ram and I have no problems at all.

I use Docker/Portainer within OMV6 because I think it's easier to "maintain" services like Plex, radarr, jDownloader2, qBittorrent, jacket, etc. which are directly related to disk storage and SMB share.

As for webhosting services, Home Assistant, Mqtt, etc., I would definitely run them outside of OMV6 on a separate virtual machine.

I would never trust a disk with a bad sector. Change the disk as soon as possible while you can still save data from it.

Code
    [69968.727478] I/O error, dev sdb, sector 6587100624 
    op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 2 prio class 2
    Code
    [70204.067625] INFO: task usb-storage:183 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

I think it is directly related to external storage. Disk or enclosure is failing or it has bad chipset/driver software for linux (you can test it on windows and it would work).

Run SMART test to see if disk fails or have bad sectors.

I'm having big problems with usb external HDD too.. Now I'm in search for ASM chipset enclosure to try.

But saw somewhere that external enclosures can randomly fail.

Can't help. All I can say is that usb 3.0 external storage on Linux is trash.

You can hear people saying that Debian an Linux are most robust systems..well yes but same time no.

Hi,

I have problems with the USB HDD case, see more here.

I connected the case and the drive to win10 purely to try to read the software version on the SATA chipset.

After connecting the case back to the OMV I get this message when booting.

After some time, the disk is successfully mounted and all the files on the disk are available.

Can this problem be solved without formatting the drive?

Hm, there are four SATA disks - they seem to be ok, but maybe they are running too hot?

Screenshot-20230406-132050.jpg

Aren't the prescribed maximum temperatures for spinning disks some 60°C according to the WD datasheet?

Does the system crash at random times or with heavy load?

My guess is that the disk shuts down due to the temperature, goes into some kind of safe mode. If reading/writing is currently being done on that disk, and the disk disappears/shuts down, the system waits for its return to life, which does not happen and remains in a loop - everything is blocked.

Speculations, correct me if I'm wrong.

I would start by installing a fan that would cool the discs and check the temperatures. If the crash happens again, proceed with the investigation.

Cooling the discs below 60°C is definitely necessary due to the lifespan of the disc.

It looks like the disk is disconnected from what I see and how much experience I have (not too much, but I'm willing to help because I've been struggling with similar problems for more than a month).

Is the disk on the USB port or on SATA?

If your found or fixed something, write it up. Otherwise, this thread could be confusing for future readers.

After I make sure that the problem is solved, I will make a new post about the problem and the solution. So you can put that post maybe as a sticky on the forum so that everyone can find it.

I'm doing the 4th test SMB transfer of 10gb files right now! For now, everything is stable!

This looks promising so far! I will write everything when I gather more information!

I moved about 800GB of data back and forth via SMB. The data was in chunks of 50GB to 100GB.

Everything is stable for now, works great! I manage to completely saturate 1Gbps ethernet. Transfer speeds are 100-115MB/s and it is stable!