Posts by mischka

What I had forgotten about the first method. The data HD for OMV created in Proxmox via hardware must not be included in the installation of OMV. So first create a VM with an HD for the OMV system in Proxmox, install OMV and only then create one (or more) data drives via the hardware settings of the OMV VM in Proxmox.

I know of two ways to set up a disk for data in the Proxmox OMV VM. The first... Create drives via the hardware settings on a hard disk mounted in Proxmox (see picture). The second and better way to pass a physical HD to the OMV VM. However, this must not be integrated or mounted in Proxmox. It is best to install them only after installing Proxmox. There are plenty of instructions on the Internet. A visit to the Proxmox forum would also be helpful. This is not an OMV problem. I have instructions on how to do this. Firstly, it's in german and secondly, I only put it together by searching the net. But it works.

Virtualizers like Virtualbox or VMWare are the better solution for me. Another advantage is that it is easy to back up a VM. If you are a gamer, I would install Windows and use Linux under Virtualbox as a VM. I do it the other way around. But I also only need a few applications under Windows, which unfortunately do not exist for Linux or which are insufficient for my purposes. Even under an old i5-6500, a VM with Windows 10 runs satisfactorily fast.

Running an os on a sd card is gambling, it will sooner or later break. I have home assistant running on rpi4, and it took one month before sd card broke. After i switched to ssd drive, it's been stable over a year. Guess that is what happened, corrupt sd.

A good SD card lasts longer if you always install and use folder2ram, and not just for OMV. This minimizes the write operations considerably.

After I had the same problem with my TV via MiniDLNA and the media player installed there (eternally long reading of the music library) I installed the file manager+ on the Android TV. It can play many media formats. Select and configure the Remote SMB and enter the data from the NAS (IP address without additions). After connecting to the NAS, you can access your media via folders without having to read media libraries.

The whole thing now with translator. Very meager information. What errors does the boot process stop with? Did you do anything in Proxmox before OMV stopped working (e.g. updated from Proxmox7 to Proxmo 8)? Proxmox has very good and easy backup options and it goes without saying that you make backups of your LXCs and VMs from time to time. Have you ever restored the backup from the OMV VM? Otherwise, I would ask in the Proxmox forum with not so meager information.

The whole thing now with a translation program!! On my Raspi4 backup NAS there is a 2.5 inch 4TB Toshiba USB3 drive that goes into standby after 5 minutes of idle at the latest. Sometimes the drive does not wake up again or can no longer be addressed by OMV. This is controlled by the firmware of the controller of the drive and cannot be influenced or controlled by the operating system of the Raspi. To prevent this, I created a cron job via crontab –e. Every three minutes an empty file is copied to the Toshiba drive (e.g. :*/3 * * * * sudo cp /home/pi/egal /export/Public/Zwischen/). This can also be set up more conveniently via Schedullig Task on the OMV web interface. The disadvantage is that the drive always runs and you can't save energy. But as I said, it's just my backup NAS, which rarely runs. At least you can use the method to test who the culprit is. If the HD has "disappeared" after a longer period of time despite the copying, the USB3/SATA converter of the drive does not compatible with the Raspi. If it is still there, the problem lies in the standby behavior of the drive. In the German Raspi forum there is a list of compatible and non-compatible USB/SATA controllers and how to avoid some incompatibilities. Asmedia chips have actually always been classified as compatible. But as I said, the firmware of the external drive also plays a major role.

Ach noch was und das schreibe ich jetzt in deutsch... ich werde die Liste der kompatiblen und nichtkompatiblen USB3/Sata-Controller hier nicht reinstellen. Ich hatte schon mal in diesen Forum einen Link zum dementsprechenden Threat im deutschen Raspi-Forum veröffentlicht.

my lxc pihole uses about 167MB of RAM, even though I have it configured for 2 CPU's and 1GB maximum.

Pihole together with Unbound consume about 500MB of RAM here. I also installed Folder2Ram. The logs are written to RAM.

I'm glad that the pihole LXC container created via Proxmox works well and can be reached via ssh. I will deal with it again in the next few days, create a new container and test it. Thanks first of all.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the poor English. I use a translation program. I'm having trouble with a Debian Bullseye AMD64 LXC container in the KVM plugin. When I use the Debian Bullseyse AMD64 template, I can't get to a terminal after installing and starting the LXC container created from it. The buttons for Terminal (Monitor), Spice, and any other visual access are unavailable and grayed out. The LXC-Debian container is running, network works but I can't do anything. Errors are not displayed. Finally, I created an LXC container for Pihole in Proxmox and created a template from it with ssh access (removed network interface before). I imported that into OMV (via ssh), assigned network (Macvtap Bridge) and made a few settings. The LXC container works fine. It would be better if I could visually access a container created in OMV/KVM from an offered template. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

mischka, can you copy and paste the list of compatible Sata-USB adapters or USB3 hard drive housings from that German forum?

Thanks.

Magische USB-SATA Adapter und wo sie zu finden sind - Deutsches Raspberry Pi Forum
    Letzte Änderung: 15.04.2023 (Orange u. Fett markiert) Zurück zu den Forumsperlen. [URL:https://forum-raspberrypi.de/forum/thread/46949-forumsperlen/] Seite im…
    forum-raspberrypi.de

Ich traue dir zu eine Suchmaschine und den Google-Übersetzer zu bedienen!

Es wäre einfacher und du würdest mehr Antworten bekommen wenn du deinen Beitrag in englisch verfassen würdest. Dank Google Übersetzer dürfte das kein Problem sein.

So einfach die Platte raus ziehen und eine Neue einsetzen geht nicht da das Filesystem der alten Platte im System und die darauf befindlichen Netzwerkordner bei allen verwendeten Diensten registriert bleibt. Das Filesystem mitsamt Netzwerkordnern ist dann mit Fehlermeldung (missing) immer noch im System. Plex würde nichts mehr finden. Die auf der alten Platte in OMV eingebundenen Netzwerkordner muss man aus jeden Dienst (nfs, smb/cifs usw.), in dem sie verwendet werden, entfernen. Das Filesystem der Platte muss danach in OMV abgemeldet bzw. gelöscht werden und erst dann kann man die Platte fehlerfrei entfernen.

Wesentlich einfacher ist es die alte Platte auszubauen, mit Clonezilla zu klonen oder unter Linux dd zu verwenden. Dabei werden alle Daten einschließlich UUID auf die neue Platte übertragen. Bei Verwendung von dd muss hinterher (in gparted) die Partition der neuen Platte noch vergrößert werden. Clonezilla habe ich noch nicht verwendet. Hinterher kann man die neue Platte einfach in den OMV-Rechner einbauen und muss nur noch unter OMV/Storage S.M.A.R.T. für die neue Platte aktivieren und einstellen. Dann würde Plex die Daten auch finden.

mit Übersetzungsprogramm:

With its own power supply (it is essential to use the original power supply unit), the Raspi can supply a 2.5 inch hard drive and an SD card or a USB stick with power to some extent. If you hang more on the USB ports of the Raspi, undervoltage or inexplicable phenomena can occur. It is better to use a 3.5 inch hard drive in a Sata-USB3 housing with its own power supply. Not every Sata-USB3 adapter or not every USB3 hard drive housing (or the built-in converter chip) is compatible with the Raspi. In the German Raspi forum there is a list of compatible Sata-USB adapters (I would install the operating system (RasperryPi OS Light plus OMV on a good SD card and make backups of it from time to time with dd.

Raspi im Aragon One Case mit externer 2,5 Zoll 4TB Festplatte und 32 GB USB3 Stick (Betriebssystem/OMV)

I assume that it is a G3220 processor (2 cores, year of publication 2013, TDP 53 watts). It is weaker than a J4105 (4 cores, year of release 2017, TDP 10Watt). The performance of the CPU will still be sufficient for a pure backup server with RAID 10. Other components such as RAM are also important. The energy costs for RAID 10 with at least 4 disks and the old PC would be too high for me.