Beiträge von rocklander

nm.. managed to ferret out an answer... in case others need it
    I used:
    wget http://omv-extras.org/debian/pool/main/o/openmediavault-dnsmasq/openmediavault-dnsmasq_1.0.3_all.deb
    (bearing in mind, the package is a point in time so the name may/will change)
    dpkg -i openmediavault-dnsmasq_1.0.3_all.deb

then refresh the browser on OMV to see the plugin for configuation.
    if I run into more obvious guff I'll update here (unless I'm not supposed to? in which case - sorry bout that)

bit of a dredge but this thread consistently comes up when I search google for deets on how to set up dhcp/dns on OMV.

can anyone point me to a howto guide on installing this? I've managed to download the zip from github but am unsure what the process is to install this.
    feeling confident I'll be able to iron out config etc but just not sure how I'd install the daemon (or whatever it is OMV refers to these services as)...

thank in advance

so now I followed the instructions here: Guide for just a simple NAS with SMB?
    and still no joy using the host name, but I can map if I use IP address (\\freenas fails \\ip.add works)

weird. if I ping 'freenas' it resolves to the correct IP address, but it's like the samba shares wont appear under that hostname

[edit] further to that.. it seems I need an fqdn.. doesn't respond to windows style hosts.. but if I browser to the fqdn (freenas.homenet) I can view the share.. interesting

complete n00b here so apologies in advance.
    problem is when I try to access shares I've created I get "windows cannot access" error to \\freenas (that's the name of the box cos I'm replacing my freenas unit and haven't messed with the DNS stuff at home yet - figured I'd sort that later on, if at all.. a rose by any other name, etc.)

the setup is:
    version 2.2.1
    AMD E-350 (idling at 9%)
    2Gb ram (idling at 15% in use)
    320Gb 2.5" drive for OS
    3X 3Tb western dig blue

I set up a raid 5 on the 3X3tb successfully
    enabled SMB/CIFS
    created a share ("shared") ->allow guest only (this is for home and I want any of the clients on my home network to be able to r/w)
    created a user and allowed that user (under ARM->shared folders) r/w privs, and checked ACL that user has r/w

still I get no access from windows client (win 10, 64 bit).
    I know I've goofed somewhere along the way, and I did look for instructions on the wiki re cifs shares, but that only says "The concept of Shared Folders is still being discussed. It will be documented as soon as the discussion is completed."

ssh is enabled and working, so this thing is accessible via ssh and http.. IP seems happy

file rights are:
    root@freenas:~# ls -alF /media/a89daae2-379d-4b56-9242-e26a6f69b152/shared/ total 12
    drwxr-sr-x+ 2 root root 4096 Oct 16 10:05 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Oct 16 10:05 ../
    root@freenas:~#

SMB conf is below:

root@freenas:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
    #======================= Global Settings =======================
    [global]
    workgroup = homenet
    server string = %h server
    dns proxy = no
    log level = 0
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog only = yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = no
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    guest account = nobody
    load printers = no
    disable spoolss = yes
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /dev/null
    unix extensions = yes
    wide links = no
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    map to guest = Bad User
    use sendfile = yes

what'd I do wrong please, and how can I get this going?
    thanks in advance