Beiträge von changsaw

Question on hardware choices:

Motherboard - I'm looking at Asus Mobos and was targeting their boards with business chipsets (Q87, B85) versus the consumer boards. Any considerations between the two categories - business/consumer? I am also targeting an Intel onboard NIC versus Realtek. Any recommendations on that as well?

Harddrives - Are NAS specific drives recommended, for example, WD Reds versus Greens?

for the OS, is a USB stick sufficient or is it recommended that I shell out for a smaller SSD?

thanks

Software RAID it is. Do you have a recommendation for regular backups? I thought of a cloud backup service, but I think I can get buy with cycling through a couple of external Harddrives...rotate then put one in a fireproof safe.

Ok, thanks a lot for the clarification and advice. Quick question on software RAID versus hw RAID. I've read consistently that HW RAID is more reliable and better than SW RAID. That said, any concerns I need to take into account before just using SW RAID in OMV? I would prefer to avoid having to purchase a separate RAID controller. The main purpose for the NAS is to host our family photos and videos and to be able to access/stream to multiple locations. I want to have redundancy and I'm looking for a separate backup solution.

I'm looking to build my first NAS and have been researching OMV and FreeNas. I see that the forum posts on FreeNas recommend server grade hardware which can drive the cost of a rig higher than I was expecting. How come it appears that the specs for a machine to run OMV are not as high?

Can someone help with the minimum requirements and help explain the pros/cons and tradeoffs of using what is recommended for minimum specs for FreeNas versus lower spec'd components of a workstation or Consumer PC? I'm going with OMV, but want to know why such a disparity in spec levels.

When I've looked at the specs of the top vendors for NAS appliances, like Synology and Qnap, they are pretty low spec'd when it comes to RAM and CPU. Can someone help provide clarity here?

thanks!