Beiträge von ik3umt

I switched my Zoneminder NFS storage from QNAP nfs to OMV nfs (both having 192.168.192.100 ip adress, of course one per time)

I left zoneminder fstab untouched:

192.168.192.100:/Zoneminder /home/Zoneminder nfs defaults 0 0 (that works on QNAP nfs)

zoneminder "mount" with OMV:

192.168.192.100:/Zoneminder on /home/Zoneminder type nfs4 (rw,relatime,vers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tc

trying to access /home/Zoneminder i get "permission denied"

/home/Zoneminder has drwxrws--- permissions

OMV /etc/exports :

# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported

# to NFS clients. See exports(5).

/export/Zoneminder 192.168.192.0/24(fsid=c54c1204-d0e6-4cbb-a574-39694ab433d6,rw,subtree_check,insecure)

/export 192.168.192.0/24(ro,fsid=0,root_squash,no_subtree_check)

and OMV mount:

nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw,relatime)

/dev/md0 on /export/Zoneminder type ext4 (rw,relatime,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group)

Why I'm getting permission denied, and what to check ?

Thank you

Well....

For now, having swap partition NO UUID, I have assigned one this way :

Part-UUID - Debian Wiki

Then modified fstab using UUID instead of /dev/sda5

At least this way boot doesn't freeze looking for non-existent swap partition

I created new mirror (Raid1) array, I don't remember it takes 300+ minutes to sync 4TB size like in other installations.....

But this is another story....

I installed OMV on a single SSD (labeled /dev/sda)

After installing two HDD for a raid1 array, these last ones are labeled sda and sdb, while SSD has been relabeled as sdc

Ok, system mounts them per UUID so it doesn't matter but /etc/fstab still points to /dev/sda5 as swap

Any issue on this ?

Should I modify fstab for swap into sdc5 ?

Thanks

P.S. at boot , system is looking for /dev/sda5 that, being on a wrong disk, isn't found, this delays boot for 20-30 seconds ...

disk names /dev/sdx change every boot in random (?) order, sometimes installation disk get its right (sda) name so no wait time for lost /dev/sda5 swap partition

swapon --show shows the partition only when SSD installation disk gets its right name sda otherwise nothing

Isn't at this point fstab entries unreliable in a multiple disk environment ?

Or at least, is there a way to keep permanent "per disk" name (despite it seems deprecsted) ?

No, it's not the actual case =O but...

OMV is installed on single SSD

Raid1 storage on a pair of Hdd, Ext4 filesystem

If unfortunately SSD crashes, can I simply reinstall the system and easily recover the good filesystem on the array ?

Thanks for suggestions

Yes OMV is built over Debian, so I think all the network stack (not managed by GUI) has to be managed at machine level , however having a little skill in this I don't need it as the network is a very simple home one, or at least it will be added to an unaware untagged vlan port.

And of course, I can throw away OMV for a basic SMB environment over Proxmox (or any container) ...

For now I'm rsync-ing OMV into old QNAP just to try new OMV over bare metal, let's see how it goes....

Yes I've already tweaked zfs arc to free some memory.

Proxmox ZFS is on Raid1 mirror (managed by proxmox itself, not HW raid).

So the problem seems to be the low writing speed the system (ZFS) is capable to write into disks ?

Really, I don't know what performances to expect, but as said, writing a single file (the test I done are about 8GB single .mkv file) extimated speed stays within 155-118 MBps for thirty seconds then collapse down to 500KBps to 10MBps oscillating : just a false estimation by windows ??

Because this DOESN'T HAPPEN when transferring the same file into a Synology NAS : flat 119MBps transfer all the time (Synology and OMV use the same WD red Disks).

The 8300MByte file takes 340 seconds to be copied into OMV

It takes 72 seconds into Synology DS224+ !!!

Clearly something's going wrong....

Again, it's not a problem for me to install OMV alone on bare metal, assuming I can achieve the same Synology performances....

I owned a QNAP 419p+ that was doing its dirty work with just 500MB ram and a pair of 100Mbps ethernet interfaces , but it started to get old...

I moved to a OMV system as virtual machine in a Proxmox environment hosted by a 8th Gen HP microserver with 16GB ram.

Well, ZFS system eats by default half of RAM, so actually remaining 8GB are half splitted between OMV and another VM running a basic IP pbx

Yesterday I was transferring about 150 GB of data from my PC to OMV, experiencing 2 to 20 MBps transfer rate out of 120MBps (120*8=960Mbps) I get toward a Synology NAS on same 1Gbps lan (Proxmox/HP host is connected via a 10Gbps adapter to switch SFP+).

Top shows a little cpu utilization where, instead, Proxmox monitor shows almost all of 4GB ram is continuously used by OMV

Proxmox ZFS storage is over a pair (Raid1) of 4TB WD-red (NAS) HDD

Is the limited amount of RAM to be blamed ?

Or should I check against a bad configuration or a equipment misconception/setup ?

Or better, should I install OMVdirectly on bare metal, forgetting Proxmox environment ?

Thank you

Filebrowser plugin works fine but has the limitation of a single share browsing.

Is there a different solution to manage files and folders inside the whole machine , thus a global view-management of all shared folders ?

Something like the so called file station on qnap devices.

Hi, new to the forum and quite new to OMV

I just installed latest distro available.

I noted there are a lot of updates available (57) , should one install all of them ??

It seems many are HW drivers updates (one can't have that HW installed)

How should I maintain the system regularly updated ? some schedule ?

Thanks