Beiträge von d2a

So i've had my trusty goflex net install, running OMV 0.4.38 Fedaykin on 3.3.2 Kirkwood, for a year or so now with minor issues but basically pretty reliable. I use netatalk to share some drives and rsysnc to back stuff up, and occasionally FTP. Certainly not a bleeding edge user, but it's a pretty stable configuration, as long as I don't lose power (see below). But recently I've been thinking it would be worth testing an upgrade. I briefly explored the latest Erasmus build, on Jessie - it seemed to be ok, but the webUI stuttered and i think it may be an upgrade too far for the limited hardware in my box. Has anyone had better luck? Is there a strong motivation for the upgrade, is there a half-way house (stone burner?) that would be a good compromise or should I stick to what works? Thanks

p.s. as above, when I lose power, the NAS often fails to boot fully - kernel loads etc, but can never SSH in. believe it's FSCK being invoked on the drives, and then failing due to lack of memory. I can set up a temp SWAP file, run fsck and confirm drives are clean, then reboot and all is well again. But is there a better approach to this problem? Should I be running a permanent swap? Thanks for any help

rainer - sorry not to have responded before - completely missed your question. Thanks for the comment. If you follow the link and read the walkthrough, you'll see I initially had the OMV installed and working on a USB for testing. Once it was running and stable, I cloned that over to a small partition on one of the main SATA drives, and changed the udev rules to suit. It works well, but occasionally (if there's a power cut, or I accidentally switch something off) i have to reboot with the USB to rescue the system. It seems to hang after boot when running fsck so i have to intervene and get it back manually.

Just a quick post about my newly built homebrew NAS based on a Seagate GoFlex Net and an old rackmount server case:

All very rough and ready but it works for me - two 3.5" sata drives in the drive caddies, another 3.5" IDE which I'm aiming to connect to USB via a USB hub. Low profile and quiet as a mouse. I'm currently running OMV 0.4.38 but will try to upgrade at some point. Many thanks for a great system and a really helpful forum.