Beiträge von Minawee

Hey All,

Posted this as a reply to another similar thread in the Networking Forum, but didn't get any replies, so I'm trying here.

First, I am about as newb a Linux user as you can get...but I am not technically uninclined; I can follow instruction as needed, but they must be explicit...please don't take for granted I understand what any of you are talking about!

My issue is simply described: I have made NO configuration or hardware changes...all I did was upgrade from OMV v1.19 to v2.1 and my file transfer speeds went from 100-110MB/s consistently on v1.19 down to a max speed of 36MB/s on v2.1 (now at 2.1.6, but no change in speeds). Using SnapRaid and Greyhole serving SMB and have thus far been extremely happy with the whole OMV experience!

I have already switched to Backports Kernel 3.16 to no avail...

I suppose I got lucky with my initial setup of OMV 1.x "just working" as it should!

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated...need any info, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks to all in advance!

-Paul

Hey All,

If you'd rather I started my own thread, not a problem, but as I am experiencing similar problems to the OP and my Google searches brought me here, I thought it would be nice to add.

First, I am about as newb a Linux user as you can get...but I am not technically uninclined; I can follow instruction as needed, but they must be explicit...please don't take for granted I understand what any of you are talking about! ;)

My issue is a little simpler: No configuration or hardware changes...all I did was upgrade from OMV v1.19 to v2.1 and my file transfer speeds went from 100-110MB/s consistently on v1.19 down to a max speed of 36MB/s on v2.1 (now at 2.1.5.1, but no change in speeds).

I have already switched to Backports Kernel 3.16 to no avail...

I suppose I got lucky with my initial setup of OMV 1.x "just working" as it should!

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated...need any info, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks to all in advance!

-Paul

Thank you, gboudreau and davidh2k.

After creating an aufs share and testing the speeds, they are identical to the speeds I am getting with Greyhole.

After a bit more reading, I am inclined to agree with davidh2k the 100mbit ethernet connection is the bottleneck. I intend to switch to a gigabit connection and will then try both aufs and Greyhole as they are both already setup on my system.

I may not get to this immediately, but I will update this thread when I have done so.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards,
    -Paul

Hello,

New to the forum and OMV.

I have successfully repurposed an old PC as an OMV NAS utilizing SnapRAID and Greyhole, but my read and write speeds (currently averaging about 10MB/S both ways) are rather poor compared to what I'm reading should be easily attainable with the hardware I have.

OMV machine is:

Core 2 Duo (1.86ghz)
    Asus Commando mobo
    2GB RAM
    WD Red 3GB HDD's (x4)

Router is an Asus RT-N66U

I've scoured these forums and Google for hours trying to find either an answer to my question or for someone else experiencing similar SMB performance with Greyhole. The closet instance resulted in the user not finding any resolution to "fix" Greyhole, and switched to aufs with good results.

I would like to try resolving with Greyhole and keeping my current setup because everything is actually working quite smoothly...just slow.

If switching to aufs is actually the end conclusion we reach, my concern then turns to my data...I have transferred quite a bit of media files (movies mostly) and would hate to either lose them or redo everything...can a pool setup with Greyhole be somehow "transferred" to an aufs pool?

I'll apologize ahead of time for my lack of Linux knowledge, but I can follow instruction well. It is not my intent to come across daft or incapable, so please bear with me if I ask for clarification...treat me with the proverbial "kid gloves".

If there is any further info I have not provided, please ask and I will provide as much detail as I can.

I thank everyone in advance for their contributions.

-Paul