Beiträge von Nem

my OpenVPN server I presume you mean the installation on my OMV box? Because I havent made any changes to the server and all of my windows and mac vpn connections to the OMV openvpn server work correctly - this change youre suggesting is specifically to get linux to work? :s

I have openvpn server running correctly on my OMV box and can connect to it on my windows laptop.

I downloaded the config files from OMV to my linux laptop and cant figure out what to do with them. I installed openvpn on the laptop and placed the config files in /etc/openvpn but whenever I try to go to a site it just sites I have no internet connection

I have also tried using the network manager to add a vpn connection but I have the same problem

I'm looking for a way to graphically control the vpn connection to my OMV box, whats the best way to do this in ubuntu/mint?

I just updated to the latest omvextras and now every time I go into the omvextras tab I get a bunch of errors:

Error #2001:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'The method 'getRepos' does not exist for RPC service 'OmvExtrasOrg'' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc:84
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('OmvExtrasOrg', 'getRepos', Array, Array, 1)
    #1 {main}

Error #2001:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'The method 'getBootKernel' does not exist for RPC service 'OmvExtrasOrg'' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc:84
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('OmvExtrasOrg', 'getBootKernel', NULL, Array, 1)
    #1 {main}

The method 'getKernels' does not exist for RPC service 'OmvExtrasOrg'

I assume this is a bug in the latest update? Or is there something I should to fix this?

By the way, I know why you connect through your frootvpn IP to your nas. Thats because your client enforces a route so it cant answer via normal connection anymore. If you like i can give you a how to later on how to fix that route.

Its ok, I think the way I have it set up through noip is better now anyway because even my IP at home changes from time to time due to my ISP

But why do you use external VPN services to connect to your home? There are ways to do that directly. I have been using OpenVPN for years now, server and client. Ok, the server has a fixed IP, but all you need to make sure is that the server propagates it's IP somewhere, this can be a file on a private webspace which contains the actual IP address and is readable for the clients. Or use a service like dyndns.

I do use a service like dyndns (noip to be exact), but the problem still persists for the reason davidh2k mentioned

And I dont know if someone can tell what is going on if you have a "permanent" connection to froot.

what do you mean by a permanent connect to froot?

I just wanted to confirm if any of the following scenarios would consume my monthly bandwidth. I added a bunch of things to OMV and I'm way over my monthly bandwidth limit and didn't know if the two were related or not, so just wanted to clarification...

I have OMV on a NAS on my local network. On the network there are 2 windows desktops, and 2 laptops. I use the following plugins:
    Deluge
    Plex
    Couchpotato
    Sickbeard

I also have OpenVPN server set up on the NAS. This way, the laptops can access the NAS when away from home.

However, the NAS also runs an OpenVPN *client* and I use that to connect to a VPN service (FrootVPN). So the machine runs both a client to connect to FrootVPN, and a server so my laptops have remote access.

Due to the fact that FrootVPN changes the NAS's IP, I had to set up a ddns updater (ddclient) on the NAS, and have that update a host on noip.com. The only way for my laptops to connect to the NAS remotely is by connecting to "domainname.com" in the openVPN config. "domainname.com" is always tied to whatever IP FrootVPN assigns my NAS because of the ddns updater I mentioned.

Recap: the laptops connect remotely through "domainname.com" in the oVPN config file, but my local desktops still go through 192.168.1.xxx:port whenever I want to access OMV or any of my plugins. The NAS itself is hidden behind FrootVPNs service

I feel like my monthly bandwidth usage has been going up ever since I set up openVPN, and hid it behind FrootVPN and I'm wondering if thats possible?

Specific questions (I know these are pretty simple but I want to be sure of the answers):

1. If I use my laptops remotely and connect to the VPN server on the NAS (using "domainname.com"), will my home bandwidth be used up if I DONT open any files? Of course bandwidth would get used up if on my laptop I opened a video file for example, but what about if the VPN connection is up, but I don't directly access any files?
    2. On my laptop, if I go to domainname.com:32400/web to access plex remotely and I play a video, am I correct in thinking that home bandwidth will be used to send the video?
    3. What about, as in #2, I access plex remotely through the VPN but go to 192.168.1.xxx:32400/web instead? Does bandwidth still get used at home? So accessing through the local network and not through the domain...
    4. On my desktops at HOME, will bandwidth get used up if I play a video through plex by going to 192.168.1.xxx:32400/web? (unsure about this one but I dont think so)
    5. Likewise, on my desktops at HOME, will bandwidth get used up if I play a video through plex by going to domainname.com:32400/web?

I think I understand 1-3, but would like some clarification as to what happens to my home bandwidth in cases 4 and 5.

Most of these questions are fairly simple, but I think I made the situation more complicated by introducing FrootVPN, a ddns upater as well as running my own VPN server on the NAS on top of that. I'm unsure how bandwidth is getting distributed now

thanks!

OK will give that a go

I still dont fully understand though because I have a domain name attached to the IP of the NAS (domain -> IP mapping updates automatically). And for my laptop clients, I have them connecting through the domain name. Given that both domain names are the same, and the IP associated with both domains is the same, shouldn't the client laptops be seen as on the same network? They are all connecting through the same IP/domain afterall

what is it doing thats causing this issue?

because even though the vpn service gives me a random IP all the time, I have a ddns updater set up on the NAS to push whatever IP im being assigned to a set domain name. Even if I try to access plex through that domain name I get the login page...

the vpn clients connecting to the NAS (ie laptops)? or the vpn client running on the NAS connecting to the vpn service hosted elsewhere?

my NAS runs the openvpn server, but it also runs a vpn client connecting to another vpn service that changes my IP if that makes a difference

I have a dns updater through noip so I can always access the NAS even if the IP changes. But using that domain also gives me the login page and not my actual library

the plex interface works fine over my local network, but I also have openvpn server set up on the NAS, and whenever my clients connect to the vpn I get a login problem

on the clients, whenever I go to http://192.168.1.109:32400/web/index.html I am taken to the login page

Normally, I dont need to create any accounts or log in anywhere to see my media library

Is there a default login that I can use to get in as admin? What is causing plex to show me the login page only over a vpn connection?

The last time I tried to sign up on plex it screwed everything up and wouldnt give me any admin or server options, and didnt give me access to the library I had set up so Id rather not have to do that again...

sorry Im very new to networking so I want to make sure I understand...

So I found something like ddclient:
    http://www.andreagrandi.it/201…-dynamic-dns-at-noip-com/

The idea is that I install that onto my OMV box. Change the config file to link to my noip account

Then the script will automatically check my NAS public IP, and if theres a change, update by noip account with the newest IP whenever that happens

This way I can always access the NAS (despite the public IP changing) through a domain name?

thanks for your help

I have figured out that the problem is what I described in my previous post. the VPN service Im using changes the IP of my OMV box, so you have to constantly changes the openVPN settings file on my laptop in order to get it to connect. This is problematic because I don't always know the new IP when it changes

This is now related to my other thread here: Email Public IP

Use a free dynamic DNS updater. Routers usually come with a couple of services for free dynamic dns, also some tld domains are like 6 dollars a year.

so my router does not offer a free ddns option. It only has 2 options and both of them are not free

I took a look at noip.com and they said they have a ddns service, but the problem is the same. they let you set up a free domain on their site, but you have to map that to a public IP address. which public IP is this?

If I use the public IP of my router, then it doesnt get me to my OMV box because that is running a vpn client to a service that changes the IP. I also cant use the IP that the vpn service gives me because that constantly changes...