Beiträge von qu4ntumrush

No RAID, just an external 4TB WD drive.

If it's just a mount issue, I don't know how to kill the busy PID to unmount it as it appears to be related to the /srv/[dev-disk]/NAS/pi subfolder and it closes my SSH connection.

Code
    sudo fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/sda: 3.64 TiB, 4000752599040 bytes, 7813969920 sectors
    Disk model: My Passport 2626
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

Even with a bidaily reboot task schedule, my configuration still hates any reasonable uptime. If I don't "use" it, i.e. use the NAS drive or stream from Plex, after more than a day, the dashboard becomes inaccessible (even though my router shows it is connected) and any NAS link says "local device name already in use". Usually the most reliable solution is a hard reboot and check for updates - there seems to be a correlation with updates breaking it but I haven't proven it. Hard reboots are not a steadfast solution as I often work remotely and the whole point of setting up OMV is to use it through a remote proxy. I found no old threads about the local device name issue or if it's correlated with any other access or runtime problems - asking if other have had this problem or if there's a logical solution.

I have the same problem except I can't even use SSH ("Remote side unexpectedly closed network connection" in Putty). OMV is version 6.9.13-1 (Shaitan). Under Disks are the Pi itself /dev/mmcblk0 and the external drive /dev/sda. The File Systems page seems to be stuck loading. Power supply is an Argon Type-C Power Supply 18 Watts 5 Volts.

qu4ntumrush Assuming your OMV host hardware is RPi 4 [referring to your second post] I presume you still have at least one USB3 port available(?) You could also locally connect your NTFS disks, one at a time, and use an "rsync" command to one-and-done move the files to the destination EXT4 drive. That would likely be faster if you continue to experience undiagnosed LAN latency issues.

I unplugged the NAS drive when it was powered off, and now with it plugged in the same slot along with the NTFS drive, only the latter shows up in the Disks and File Systems menus. Even after unmounting the NAS it won't show up in Disks.

I have a Hyper V VM with Ubuntu on my desktop and can now access the files I want to copy, but a test jump drive in EXT4 mounted with a drive letter in Windows only says in ubuntu "the location could not be displayed", even though ext2fsd has it in write mode (but I have never been able to access the drive in Windows without reformatting).

Permissions are fixed now. I was able now to remove some old shares for my previous file system and unmount it, and creating a shared folder with a default relative path seemed to do the trick. [Edit] But now the write speed is too slow. At first it averaged 5MB/s for a single file after adding the SMB extra options mentioned in the official troubleshooting page for RaPi4. Then I tried the settings used by user damjanev and now they average 11MB/s using SMB (WinSCP peaks at 15MB/s but not for long). I have a WiFi 6 Eero 6+ router with fiber. The Pi is connected to it with a short Cat5e cable (no improvement with a longer Cat6). There's only one ethernet plug on the router, I can't connect to the Pi with my laptop connected to the modem, and I don't have an ethernet switch to try a direct client-server connection (worth it?).

I've followed the new user guide to wipe, format to EXT4, and mount a drive and set up sharing. ls shows the only folder is "lost+found" with RWX permissions only for the root owner (users have --S permission and groups have none) and two files aquota.user and aquota.group, both only have RW owner permissions. mkdir to make new folders for sharing says permission denied. After setting lost+found as a shared folder and SMB, clicking it in Windows networks says "Windows cannot access...you do not have permission...".

I haven't been able to have write access for my shared folders in the sense that I am trying to add files from an NTFS drive (my Windows PCs) to an external hard drive connected to a RasPi with OMV formatted to exFAT via SMB. The specific error code in Windows is 0x80070032. I thought the problem had to do with root permissions but ls confirms every file and folder on the exFAT drive has read, write, and executable access. Indeed, I can modify files and folders within the shared folder, I can move files from RasPi to Windows, but I can't move vice versa. Why is exFAT discouraged if this is the only downside for a NAS (practical reasons, not technical reasons)? If I format the drive to EXT4, how problematic is seamless file transfers between Windows and Linux machines? Would installing Ext2Fsd really make it effortless?

The external drive has 3TB of data with millions of files. I have all the data on my PC in different file structures. I don't have an external drive similar in size. Would it be recommended to wipe and format the drive and add with Ext2Fsd all my files to an EXT4 drive? Should I do this with the external drive connected to the RasPi or PC? The whole point of all of this is to use some sort of clients to access my music, pictures, and videos on all my devices (including phone and streaming dongle) and remotely with a reverse proxy.