Beiträge von Nibb31

You're misunderstanding. When your NAS reads or writes data, that data goes through RAM. The point of ECC is that your data doesn't get corrupted by faulty RAM.

ECC RAM uses parity, but that extra parity bit is already included on the memory module, which means that 8GB of ECC RAM has the same capacity as non-ECC RAM, only more secure.

When you say I need to test locally if the player requires transcoding, how exactly do you do that? Does plex tell you if it's transcoding? I never saw such a message so far.. Is there some kind of log I should be checking to see if my movies are being transcoded before playing?

Yes, when a player is playing, there is an icon in the top right corner of the server web page. Click it, and you'll get info on the stream.

Regarding Plex, you need to first determine what your requirements are:
    - How many clients do you realistically need to serve simultaneously over the local network or with remote access.
    - What type of media files.
    - What kind of upload bandwidth do you have.
    - Which clients will you be using.

You need to test the clients that you want to use with Plex installed on your current PC to determine if they require transcoding or not. Once you have determined how much simultaneous transcoding you need, then you can determine what kind of CPU you need.

Rasplex can play pretty much anything in 1080p without transcoding except X265/HEVC. However, there haven't been any updates in a year, so it seems to have been abandoned by its developers. Also, transcoding also depends on the client's download bandwidth and the server's upload bandwidth.

1) sda1 is your system drive. You are not supposed to use it to store data, which is why it is not available in OMV.
    2) Yes, that's normal. Your data goes on the data drives. Only the system should be on the system drive.
    3) No there is no plugin. A NAS is typically used over Samba, NFS, FTP, or WebDAV. If you want something like Dropbox, then you need to install Nextcloud.
    4) No, because that is not what a NAS is for. If you want a multimedia machine, you could connect a Raspberry Pi to your TV with Kodi or Plex to read the files that are served by the NAS.

It's a bit of a weird idea, since both OSs have different purposes and are aimed at different sorts of machines. Windows typically goes on a desktop machine with a keyboard, a mouse, and a monitor that you put to sleep when you're not using it. OMV is designed for a headless machine dedicated to storage that can go under the desk or in a closet, without keyboard or monitor, that runs 24/7. You wouldn't want or need Windows on a machine like that.

Maybe you need to consider getting two machines. You don't need a full blown PC as a NAS, so it can be relatively cheap.

As you say, RAID5 will allow you to tolerate 1 total disk failure. But is that the only thing that could go wrong ?

The most common cause of data loss, in my experience, is user error: accidental deletion or corruption. There is also bit rot, malware, multiple disk failures (which are very common when rebuilding an array after your single disk failure), other hardware failure, and all the "mechanical" issues (flood, fire, theft...).

RAID does not protect your data at all against any of these. So basically, you are wasting 25% of your drive capacity to protect against a single type of failure, while ignoring the other types, when you could have full protection if you wasted 50%.

It's like paying a cheap insurance that only protects your car if it gets hit from one side. You might as well not pay an insurance at all.

What makes you think that Plex can only have videos on a single HDD ? You can have multiple libraries, and each library can source multiple folders anywhere on the system. Even if it was true (it isn't), you could still pool together your drives with mergerfs to make them appear as a single drive.

You don't need RAID to do pooling.

I would go with some of the Atom or embedded Celeron mini-ITX boards. This gives you a variety of cases, PSU, and RAM options, and you could probably build something clean and pretty robust for around 150 euros/dollars (minus the drives).

I don't think there are any ARM boards with 4 x SATA, and if there were, you would be limited to their own linux/armbian distro, which may or may not be well-supported.

Why do you want to use different filesystems and partitions ?

Typically, you would have the entire drive (or multiple drives) as a single large storage space, and shared folders dedicated to each particular usage. This allows more flexibility.

OMV doesn't do partitioning. You would have to create your partitions in gparted and then mount them in OMV.

I don't think it's a power issue. First of all, RAID on an RPi is a very very bad idea, mainly because multiple drives on an RPi is a very bad idea.

The problem with the RPi hardware is that a single slow 100Mb/s bus is shared by all four USB ports AND the Ethernet ports. It doesn't have 4 independent USB ports, but a hub plugged into a single bus, that is also shared by the network traffic. Plugging 3 drives into an RPi, while using the network, is a recipe for slowness.

This is why the RPi is an extremely poor choice for a NAS.

The VPN plugin in OMV is to create a VPN server. This is not what you want.
    You want your OMV to connect as a client to an external VPN server. This can be done from the command line through OpenVPN. You VPN provider should provide instructions for setting up the VPN on Linux with OpenVPN.

Setting up a VPN on OMV means that all OMV communication will go through the VPN. If you access any other services on the OMV server from the outside (nextcloud, plex, etc...), they will not work any more.

RAID is not for backup. It only allows you to keep on working when a drive fails, which is not a priority for most home users.
    RAID is a real-time mirror, so if something happens to your files (accidental deletion, corruption, malware, etc...) then it is instantly replicated to both drives.

What you want is backup. This can be achieved with two disks, by replicating the content on a regular basis.

Anyway, you can set up your storage any way you like in OMV.