Beiträge von bouby

Very interesting, ty for your advices.

I really like those micro computers. On the other hands, I like to use refurbished things.

I'll first try with a free configuration then, I'll follow a new path !

For example, my actual home assistant stand alone box is installed on an old laptop, in my 19" bay. Everything is from second hands or garbages.

ty, I will.

Your builds are insanely power efficient.

I will try with this configuration at first :

AMD ryzen 5 2600

Asus prime x370-A

8go ddr4 2400mhz

(Gtx 1060 6go)

i can have it for free.

I also have a spare 128go SSD and many 1To Sata disks.

I'm maybe aiming 1kWh/day.
    Not a big deal since I have a 10kWc DIY solar power system on top of one of my barns in France, in the South West. So I can reduce my consumption during the day. (I don't have batteries, I sell my over-production by choice).

I may have found out, I may don't use the good terms.

As it's not easy to achieve sufficient data redundancy in the case of a drive failure, you don't advice people to use any laptop as a NAS.

My needs looks more like a little home server acting as a cloud storage and a media server than a NAS. In those conditions, I understand that I will not be able to secure my pictures like I would.

Am I heading in the right direction ?

I understand your point of view, but I don't know if we aim the same thing.

You probably are an expert in the NAS world and I'm a complete noob.

I don't understand why it's a stupid thing to do, I don't want to debate about it ; just understand why.

Ram isn't ECC, I got it.
    USB is not reliable for critical data, I got it.
    Power management isn't optimal, overheating could happen while the lid is closed, I got it.

But what do I miss ?

I got those parts in a closet, doing nothing, I should search after an old motherboard + proc + ram instead of it ?
    I don't understant why a raspberry could be a good option while a laptop couldn't.

Please explain it to me.

Maybe I can test a setup with my irrelevant junks and, if I like what I'm able to do with it, build a proper one ?

Hi everyone,

I know, I have read every topic about laptop based NAS on OMV. But I still have questions.

I would like to use my potential NAS as a "google photos" style synchronised platform and as a plex local server. (+torrent downloading)

I was thinking (because I have understand that USB storage is irrelevant to secure data) to use 2x2to 2.5" in the HDD bay and in the DVD bay with a caddy. This way, my critical data could be safe... maybe?

So to resume, I got this laptop : https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/document/c05493437
    Specs : AND E2-9000 - 4Gb Ram - 2xUSB3.1 ports - gigabit Lan.

I own 2x4to USB 3 2.5" HDD for the media storage.

I would use internal SATA ports and those kind of HDD : https://www.reichelt.com/fr/fr…ium=idealo.fr&PROVID=2842

OMV should boot from a SDHC and run in ram.

The laptop have the WOL option in the BIOS.

I understand that I will do nothing with the wifi card, keyboard, screen etc... but this is the spare I have and I would like to test OMV.

My real questions are :
    -Would I be able to secure my pictures if the first HDD backup itself on the second every week ?
    -Would I be able to use my plex server with USB disks ?

Thanks for your advices !