Beiträge von jbv

Thanks a mil, this is the process I followed if it helps anyone and it seems to have worked:

I'd highly recommend reading up on each command and the options I selected to make sure they'll work as intended in your scenario.

Before:
    root@openmediavault:~# pvscan
    PV /dev/sda VG volumeGroup lvm2 [1.82 TiB / 0 free]
    PV /dev/sdb VG volumeGroup lvm2 [1.82 TiB / 0 free]
    PV /dev/sdc VG volumeGroup lvm2 [1.82 TiB / 0 free]
    Total: 3 [5.46 TiB] / in use: 3 [5.46 TiB] / in no VG: 0 [0 ]
    root@openmediavault:~#

I needed to remove /dev/sdc so I copied off as much as possible and was left with 2.2TB of data on my VG. These commands were run:

/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop
    umount /dev/mapper/volumeGroup-MyDisk
    resize2fs /dev/mapper/volumeGroup-MyDisk 2900G && e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/volumeGroup-MyDisk
    lvreduce -L 3000G /dev/mapper/volumeGroup-MyDisk && e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/volumeGroup-MyDisk
    resize2fs /dev/mapper/volumeGroup-MyDisk && e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/volumeGroup-MyDisk
    pvmove /dev/sdc
    vgreduce volumeGroup /dev/sdc

After:
    root@openmediavault:~# pvscan
    PV /dev/sda VG volumeGroup lvm2 [1.82 TiB / 0 free]
    PV /dev/sdb VG volumeGroup lvm2 [1.82 TiB / 726.03 GiB free]
    PV /dev/sdc lvm2 [1.82 TiB]
    Total: 3 [5.46 TiB] / in use: 2 [3.64 TiB] / in no VG: 1 [1.82 TiB]
    root@openmediavault:~#

Hi,

I have a little HP micro server. I was running freenas with 3x2TB drives in a RaidZ1 config until I began running low on space and got another 2TB drive and realized I couldn't grow my volume. I'm now on omv and so far it looks great, but I would like to add some redundancy so here's my story. I initially planned on using snapraid to try and replicate the above setup (I'm okay with a bit of data loss if snapraid isn't completely up to date) so my plans were to have my 3 2TB drives containing media and the 4th drive as the parity drive. I didn't want to manage each drive independently so I created a lvm so I could just copy files over and let the lvm deal with the rest. That worked great whilst I performed the risky move of degrading my old freenas setup to 2 drives and copying data across to my new 2 drive lvm. I have since wiped formatted to ext4 and added the 3rd drive to the lvm and the 4th drive (will be parity) as a separately mounted drive.

I'm now:
    LVMVolume 3 2TB drives
    Parity drive 1 2TB drive

I then installed snapraid and as I have only one mounted volume (the lvm) I can't use my parity drive as it's too small. I would need to somehow mount all the partitions in the lvm separately to get this to work as intended. Is there a simpler way to do this or am I looking at the wrong solution here? Also what would happen in lvm if one of my drives failed would I lose everything or just that disk? Perhaps dealing with each drive on it's own would have it's benefits then? I did try searching for some results here but struggled finding something that seemed to be the same as my issue. ?(

Thanks in advance.