Beiträge von tomko

I'm not sure how to help. but here are the commands I went though before I got it to work.

151 apt-get purge openmediavault-virtualbox
    152 apt-get purge virtualbox
    153 apt-get purge virtualbox-source
    154 rm -rf /etc/default/openmediavault-virtualbox
    155 rm -rf /etc/default/virtualbox
    156 userdel vbox
    157 rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
    158 apt-get install --reinstall virtualbox-dkms
    159 apt-get purge openmediavault-virtualbox
    160 omv-update
    161 apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox
    162 history

Also note that it works perfectly when starting with a fresh OMV install

Newer kernel versions (not updates) can cause problems with programs that compile their modules (zfs, virtualbox, iscsi, etc). I normally install all updates though. I don't think the kernel version will be changed though. If you are worried about an update, make a backup (clonezilla is good) before doing the update.

When does the kernel get updated through the GUI, if not through the updates? Might be worth turning kernel updates off somehow

I used to clone the entire drive to another physical drive using dd from a livedisc, but that's very time consuming. I will explore clonezilla since I'm sure that will be more convenient.

Cheers!

Plugins reports openmediavault-virtualbox 3.0.6 every time now which i'm not sure if I should be concerned. But important is that VirtualBox is now working! :)

Thank you so much for your support! I will mark this thread as resolved.

In phpVirtualBox i get this message which i presume one can safely ignore:
    This version of phpVirtualBox (5.0-5) is incompatible with VirtualBox 5.1.14_Debian. You probably need to download the latest phpVirtualBox 5.1-x.

For future reference. Do I need to be worried with how I use OMV's updates? Do I need to be careful of not do any specific updates going forward, or anything I should be cautious of?

The first time around I did this I saw that the Plugins finally showed a newer version of virtualbox was installed, but the VirtualBox service did not appear.
    Looking at the console I saw this afer a apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox (see attached image).

Unfortunately I decided to uninstall everything over again to try to reinstall... this time around I got same error but with 3.0.6 version showing up in Plugins.

Should I be manually installing the other packages as well as implied?

Could you be so kind to show me how? I'm still relatively noob when it comes to fixing packages.

I did the following:

But I still see openmediavault-virtualbox 3.0.6 showing under Plugins. I would have expected to see a newer version

That's one of the threads I linked.

So if I understood correctly - virtualbox plugin doesn't work on 4.9 kernel. Is the only way to get this to work to downgrade to 4.8?
    Will this plugin ever work for 4.9, or is it 'abandoned' and we are on our own?

Thanks again

I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to an rsync mount. I even deleted the entire rsync directory (normally rsync does an copy from one mdadm raid partition to another).

However, I don't see anything stand out. I'm puzzled at this point with what to do next to resolve this...

Hi.

Can someone please help. I'm not sure where to turn...

After having had a raid drive fail, I have replaced the culprit drive and rebooted. Now I can no longer access the GUI due to space issue. Doing a df I see that the OS drive rootfs is completely full.
    I am thinking it might be some bad mounting issue with how i setup the partitions but I am not experienced enough to see where that would be the case (I already modified /etc/fstab to ignore one filesystem)

Here is my partition layout..

Thanks!!

Unfortunately I rushed into the solution before realizing that I didn't actually replace 'stable' value (didn't get what you meant the first time) :( So now I'm on Jessie, and I've become another victim that stickie was to try and avoid... Fools be parted with their time!

Any tips for saving as much of the settings before a reinstall to recover as much as seamlessly possible? I know I had a ton of services (owncloud, omv-extras, etc as examples). Not sure if there is a better way than backing up each config file individually...

Or better yet, would be awesome if there was something to at least have SAMBA share still running until I do go through the reinstall.

Thanks for all your help! Always respected the guys that stick around to help!

Note, I also edited the earlier post with response for reinstall of openmediavault as well...

Below is /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code
    # Debian packages for stable
    deb http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ stable main contrib
    # Uncomment the deb-src line if you want 'apt-get source'
    # to work with most packages.
    # deb-src http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ stable main contrib

# Security updates for stable
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

After noticing I don't have omv-firstaid, I also seem to have the packages set for removal.

Any idea how simple updates via OMV interface can wreak havoc like this? The updates never seemed to finish, and could possibly have been stuck in a weird state or something causing some of this.

Running

Code
    # apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

:

Hi Subzero,

I have read other posts but I am actually still on wheezy version 7.8
    This system did used to be a Debian only system on Squeeze, before updating and overlaying OMV on top of it many years ago.

It would be really nice to not have to start from scratch. I've also managed to get both my clones to have this issue now (which was supposed to be my fallback solution)

Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

I've had this issue pop up on multiple occasions (I've replicated similar results on my older backup/clone OS drive as well)...

There are two issues really:
    1) Can't access Samba share from Windows 7
    2) Can't access OMV web interface (403 Forbidden nginx error) - this was after attempting an update from OMV's Update Manager

Details:
    (1) happened when I physically moved the fully working server to another home network (I took the server to my home, planning to do backups and to replace the RAID drives). I presume it is Windows/network related since it was working in the previous network, though this perplexes me.
    This was when I tried OMV's Update Manager that I ran into more problems.
    (2) happened after doing a simple update on a few samba related packages (see screenshot). I've experience the same problem when attempting to update all the packages on my other cloned drive, so I'm pretty sure problems arise after updates. The list of updates is large, presumably because I avoided updating in the past for this reason. I can't avoid updates forever. Basically what happens is after pressing upgrade the screen would get stuck. Eventually after doing nothing for a long time, I would attempt to refresh browser, and then i get the nginx error.

Your help is much appreciated!! I had the bright idea of 'working' on the server before leaving the county for a few weeks.... ;(

I am in the process of wanting to replace my RAID6 MDADM setup with something more flexible. I will have to buy new hard drives anyways, so might as well do it right.

My concern with the current setup is that I have old 2TB drives x 6, and I know I have to start replacing them (since SMART will likely not pick up errors early enough), but MDADM is not very flexible. I replaced a few drives with 4TB onces, and will likely replace the next ones with bigger drives... but the issue is that MDADM is terrible at swapping drives, and doesn't make use of different sizes, and having to rebuild every time, etc... which is limiting

What is the best solution for pooling drives that is painlessly easy to add and remove from the pool as they degrade, has 2 drive redundancy, and some performance gain over a single mechanical hard drive speed???

Will look into Snapraid, but not sure if this will be best solution. Wanting to hear if there are better ones out there.

TLDR; Any tips for easiest/painless hard drive pooling solution with 2 drive redundancy?? Much appreciated!

You bring a valid point. I really am just looking for something that gives me more redundancy (2 drive failures) and pools all the data into one partition.

I have an Atom server, with the most intensive scenario being running all the services (such as downloads) while potentially streaming HD content to two people in the house. RAID6 solved this problem, but if there are better solutions for ease of use as mentioned - why not.
    I am not too familiar with snapraid, and not entirely sure how it deals with having 2 parity disks...

Thanks guys! Sounds like the more realistic way to go is to simply backup the content and start a new raid array fresh for either scenario (since I don't plan to replace all 7 drives immediately).
    I plan to slowly replace my 2Tb drives as they fail with 4Tb ones... and once I get four 4Tb ones I might just deal with making a new array consisting of just 4Tb drives.

I know there are a ton of RAID solutions out there, and SnapRAID was mentioned, but are there any other really good solutions out there?
    I chose mdadm RAID6 originally because I wanted the ability for up to 2 drives to fail, and otherwise I wanted the ability to stripe my data so that it can be read quickly over the gigabit network.
    Of course the limitation being that all drives have to be of same size, and any changes in system are really intensive with rebuilds etc (not very dynamic to make changes). Ideally there'd be a solution out there that expands on these features, such as allowing migration to larger drives while maintaining redundancy.

Back to topic #2: Going from 2TB drives each to 4TB drives...

As I understand it, each drive will only be as big as the lowest common denominator. So as long as there is a mix of 2TB and 4TB drives, each drive will use 2TB effectively. Once the last drive is replaced to 4Tb, only then will the size expand.

Here is my question:
    Since I plan to go from seven 2TB drives to five 4TB drives... once I have five drives replaced with 4Tb, will I be able to simply remove the remaining 2 drives and have the size automatically expand? I am not sure if RAID will like removing 2 drives at once and then effectively expanding the available size of the 4Tb drives? I am trying to work out the logistics if there is a way to do this without losing the data.