Beiträge von jobelz

Hey people!

I've been running OMV for a long time at home and I'm very happy with the platform. I was gifted an old Dell PowerEdge R210 II (Xeon E3-1230, 16GB RAM, no disks). From what I gather it's pretty power-efficient and the specs are good.

I would like to set it up for my own company. What it should do:

- run VM's to mess around with
    - run some docker stuff (mainly an internal webserver: dokuwiki, Unifi controller, ...)

All things that OMV handles perfectly. Now, the server doesn't have much room for disks, so I'd need a second device. I'm thinking the following:

- 2 SSD's for the Dell (RAID 1), install OMV on an extra small SSD/HDD
    - second, lower spec OMV device with a large RAID-6 array for data storage used as a fileserver and back-up target of the Dell server
    - off-site back-up (to my home NAS) or to a cloud provider for all critical data from the storage NAS

I can probably build the storage NAS with the parts I have lying around, save disks.

Too complicated? Would you handle it differently? Or would you build one box to handle everything and ditch the Dell?

Cheers,
    J.

Update:

- updated bios
    - stress tested cpu

Those went fine. Then I did what I should have done a lot earlier: Memtest86. It found a huge amount of errors; I'm actually amazed it still ran.

Thanks for the support!

My problem is back. I'm running 3.0.40 and it has been working perfectly.

Yesterday night however I came back to a completely unresponsive NAS. No webgui, no screen output.

Attached my logs. Hang occured as the last event on friday (the saturday log entries are after a hard reboot), but I see no obvious errors. I'm thinking this has to be a hardware problem but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Edit: After the reboot Plex was unresponsive. Tried to disable it in the webgui, but after clicking save it came back with an error after a long wait. After this the systems seems to have crashed again.

Hey people!

After I managed to get my OMV 2.x installation to grind to a stop I upgraded to OMV 3. Things have been quite smooth since, the only problem I have is I can't install virtualbox.
    Below, the error. I thought dependencies were automatically installed?

Thanks for any advice.

J.

One error was returned:

PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'openmediavault/object.inc' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/omvextrasorg.inc on line 22

I can't SSH into the machine using Putty (access denied, probably something that's not on by default?), but I can work fine directly on the machine.

Not sure if I should make a new thread about this. The installation went fine but after installing OMV-extras the webgui shows the following error when trying to log in (it never lets you log in). I found

Code
    Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\Rpc\Exception' with message 'Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:138
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(56): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #6 {main}

If found this thread with a similar problem but it seems I'm locked out of root access for some reason. I'll try reinstalling again.

Great news! I'm using the following, but wouldn't be too bothered if not all are working 100% yet.

- Plex
    - Minidlna
    - extplorer
    - sabnzbd
    - transmissionbt
    - nut
    - virtualbox

I'll install OMV 3 tomorrow then! Awesome!

Hmm, the Curse of the Black Sun (or my inability to stop messing with the wrong things) continues.

The last few days my system ran fine. Today I installed the new OMV 2.2.7 release and the Plex update. After the installation Plex refused to run. Uninstalled/reinstalled Plex using the web interface to no avail.

Went to check the logs and saw alot lot of collectd errors again. Used omv-firstaid to fix the db. Erros showed up saying future dates were in the logs. Agreed to delete them.

After this the webgui stopped working saying config.xml couldn't be found. I found another thread about the error message with a solution: reinstalling OMV using these commands:

Code
    cp /usr/share/openmediavault/templates/config.xml /etc/openmediavault/
    apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

Webgui came back online but now I receive errors for every plugin I have installed:

Code
    Failed to get configuration (xpath=//services/pluginname)

Tried reinstalling them but it doesn't help. It might be time to do a complete reinstallation maybe? I feel like I'm a kid with adhd in quicksand. ;)

Last night I had another hard crash. While watchin a movie the system suddenly stopped and became completely unresponsive. No webgui, no shell access. I left it like that but it never recovered. After a reboot all is well again and this time there are no errors in syslog.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do before/during/after such a crash to troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you for the reply!

I ran omv-firstaid and selected the RRD database fix, below the output.

Code
    root@belzultra:~# omv-firstaid
    Checking all RRD files. Please wait ...
    All RRD database files are valid.

Hey people!

My OMV installation has been buzzing along nicely for nearly two years now, but in the recent days it has completely frozen on me 4 times. The system is completely unresponsive (webgui en local) and requires a hard reboot.
    After a reboot I find lots of errors in the syslog, see below for a small selection (it's usually several pages).

How would I start to troubleshoot this? My fear is a piece of hardware is starting to fail but I see no indication as to what it could be. Searching online gives me mixed results. The NAS is used as file storage en Plex station.

Thanks for any advice!

J.

Managed to fix the issue. Not sure what it was though, but things are working again.

- uninstalled Plex
    - renamed the /media/UUID/plexmediaserver folder to plexmediaserver_backup
    - reinstalled Plex, select correct database volume. Enabled Plex. It created a new plexmediaserver folder.
    - disable Plex
    - copied all content from "plexmediaserver_backup/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server" to the new "plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server"
    - enable Plex

Dancing ensued.

Ended up poking. Slightly. I *thin* this is were things are wrong:

File /etc/default/plexmediaserver

Am I wrong to think I should uncomment PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR line and make sure the path is pointing to my original folder?

Hey guys!

Today I decided to upgrade my plexserver installation (was running a pre 1.x build) to the latest package. I removed the existing version by running this:

apt-get purge openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    apt-get purge plexmediaserver
    usrdel plex

Because I figured it might be better to do a clean installation, but it might be here things went wrong.

After that I installed the most recent package in the repo (1.0.3.2461). I enabled it in the OMV web interface and saw that the "Database Folder" there was pointing to the correct location (/media/UUID/plexmediaserver), however once I navigated to the plex web page it wanted to configure itself as a fresh installation with a new library.

I'm a little scared to poke around on my own and have things overwritten by accident, so I thought I'd ask some advice on what to check here first.

Thanks in advance!
    J.

I too came from FreeNAS to OMV, can't say I regret it. I can't evaluate the inner workings much since I'm not tech savvy enough, but I do feel more at home in Linux and I find the WebUI and general feel of OMV pretty awesome.

I had 4 (!) brand new 3Tb WD Reds fail in a matter of weeks. It could have been bad shipping too though and not necessarily a manufacturer issue. I've returned them and while I was at it upgraded to 4Tb models. Prices per Gb are the same for the 3Tb and 4Tb models around here.

The Fractal Design case is pretty awesome, I have the same model. Good build quality and decent air flow. I would make sure you get a PSU with removable cables though. You should be fine right now with two drives, but once you get more it gets pretty cramped in there. I have 5 data drives and one OS drive (all 6 bays full) and a PSU that doesn't have removable cables and it took me some time to get things organised. Having the Hyper212 cooler doesn't help either (I had to mount the fan differently so I could hook everything up).

I based my statement on the many newegg complaints about this model. I did some further reading and it seems it's could be just a bad shipping issue (that would be very possible in my case).

For example: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1246067

I just called the store I bought them from and they told me I could bring them back. They'll test them and if they can confirm they're failing they'll swap them out and do the RMA themselves, which saves me some time. I'll probably upgrade to 4Tb models and get a 5th one while I'm at it. Silver linings and all.

Is there any chance this isn't disk related? Like controller problems for example?