Beiträge von Halvhjearne

Hard to say. I haven't tried OMV 3.x with a desktop environment. There were definitely issues with OMV 2.x and desktop environments.

what kind of issues?

becourse i see potetials here, one is that i can acces the webui from the local machine so i wont have to power up a second machine (and regardles of my networks status) not to mention other advantages of a desktop, like beeing able to drag and drop for copying/moving files or like editing partitions from gparted instead of using the webui.

i also installed kodi for testing and it also seems to work well at the same time ... obviusly i have no idea if this will continue to run fine, but so far i only noticed an ssl error from iceweasel every once in a while, but i havent had time to look at it further.

There is no way to do that with the OMV install ISO. Why not use the Debian installer then? There is not much difference. Create your partition/lv layout, pick minimal install, and installing OMV after that is very simple:

Bash
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

i tried installing omv 3 on a debian 8 installation with a desktop environment on a test machine and it seems to work fine for now, but should i expect there be any problems you know of that would be associated with having a desktop environment installed?

What type of internet connection do you have?
    In case of ADSL you should limit upload transfer to at least half of your max bandwidth.

afaik you cant get 90Mbit adsl, for the record i have fibre net 90/90 and as you can see in my settings im not using anything near that.

There is a utility called nethogs. It can narrow bw usage by process in Linux. You can log in ssh and check if transmission is sucking all bw when is working.

ill try nethogs, but what will it tell me i dont already know?

just one torrent in queue will do the trick, not sure how or why this happend, it just happend one night while i was doing something else and it suddenly blocked everything for me.
    at first i assumed it was an internet outage, untill i contacted my isp and they said "try stick the cable directly into a computer" ... i feelt rather stupid when i got connection right away.

..then i was wondering a bit about what could be wrong untill i tried removing the cable from the omv machine and voila, perfect connection again, connected it again and instant intenet block.

then i tried disable one service after another untill it stopped and as soon as i stopped transmission everything was fine and i could enable everything else again ...
    as far as i can see nothing should be wrong, only thing im really sure about is this happend after latest update and/or changing settings with turtle mode (not sure how any of that could have this effect tho).

it worked perfectly fine untill this ... now its messed up even with a fresh install.
    really dont get it ... ill try install deluge from command prompt as you said tho and see if that works, if it does ill be quite baffled but happy ...

edit:
    aparently i must have broke some dependencies when i installed glibc 2.19 ... ill have to revert back to a earlier backup to test that. :(
    unfortunatly that has nothing to do with my current problem, as i know for sure that it didnt work before i installed that either ...

Ok. As soon as you start the torrents are they actually downloading? can you access the webUI in omv or transmission to see how much overall bandwidth is consuming?

ill just test that to figure how much it is actually using, but i reduced the up-/download to 1500kbps (i have 90Mbit internet connection), i even tried 256kbps and yes i can wierdly enough connect to omv and transmission web gui just fine (not my router tho), while it blocks everything outside my local network

for some reson deluge halts here:

Code
    Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...

or i would have tried to switch that too ..

Can you post here cat /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json this is the only way we know if the plugin is passing weird configuration into the daemon

I remember a similar issue around two month ago as soon as the omv was plugged the whole lan went down. No transmission there. The cause of the issue at the end was a faulty nic IIRC.

Transmission update if I remember was and update on the plugin not the actual binary.

Can't find the thread now. But you can replicate omv in the network with virtualbox and bridged adapter to see if it has the same behaviour as the physical one with transmission.

if its not transmission, then im quite surprised as everything works perfect when i stop transmission, as soon as i start transmission and it starts connecting, network chokes ...

hello

i have a problem with the transmission plugin, it seems that whenever i start transmission it blocks my entire network to the outside world and my router, however omv web gui can be reached without problems, if i pull the plug on the machine the rest of my computers on the network can use the internet again.

it all started very wierd and i belive it was around when i downloaded an update for transmission in omv web gui, i tried reducing allowed bandwith and connections and i even tried to reinstall the machine with fresh omv with no avail ... as soon as transmission starts, it will just block internet connection for the rest of the network.

im not sure why this is happending as it has been running just fine untill now with the default settings, it just sort of started suddenly after latest update, i remeber also changing some settings for turtle mode lately, but my guess is thats unrelated?

i attempted to install deluge to test if that works, but aparently it wont install on my system (not sure why, but could be related to some packages i installed after, that is unralated to my problem tho as these packages was not installed when i was testing).

afaik i dont get any errors anywhere it just seems it suddenly starts chokeing the network, has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know a fix for this?

i tried installing this, and im pretty sure halevt works cause it says in the log that it runs the script, but nothing happends before it trys to search devices, then it keeps spamming an error something simmular to this:

Code
    end_request i/o error dev sr0

i tried diffrent drives and discs but its all the same and nothing works so far, and funny thing is i tried the same drives in ubuntu and it works fine ...
    what could i be doing wrong and why does it keep spamming this error from any drive or disc i try?
    do i need to install a driver or something becourse its a dvd drive?

thanks in advance for any help.

regards
    Halvhjearne

So i was interested in installing steam on my openmediavault machine in order to host an arma 3 server, however when i serached this forum, theres no information about how to install steam or steamCMD, so i was just wondering if anyone has tried this before and possibly could help me set this up correctly?

anyway i googled a bit and tried to figure out how to install steam and arma 3 server on linux and found this:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#Linux

and more specific installation for arma 3:

https://community.bistudio.com…uctions_.28Linux_o.2Fs.29

has anyone done this before or am i the only one that thinks it would be cool to run gameservers on my openmediavault pc?

ps. if this is the wrong place to put this, can i mod pls move it then?

hi

i installed a dvb-t card (like this) along with this plugin and after a while of fiddleing i realized i also had to install the firmware as described on the page i linked.

after doing that i managed to log into VDRAdmin-am and i can now record show, however when i press show on the omv gui for live i get an "Error header too large" when i press show for i get to an "this website is unavailible" page and i cannot watch live tv on VDRAdmin either.

does anyone know a fix for this?

i already read stuff like that, including the link in your signature, but i dont think you read what i write.
    what you linked combined with what you are saying is just making it more cryptic and confusing for me, since every page i read has a diffrent explanation on this.

cant you just tell me what to write in the box of omv web gui for it to work for me?

when you say set it to 2 or 0, does that mean actually set it to 2 or 0 in omv webgui?
    im having kindof the same problem, but when i read on the transmission page you linked it says:

umask: Number (default = 18) Sets transmission's file mode creation mask. See the umask(2) manpage for more information. Users who want their saved torrents to be world-writable may want to set this value to 0. Bear in mind that the json markup language only accepts numbers in base 10, so the standard umask(2) octal notation "022" is written in settings.json as 18.

so i wonder what number im supposed to enter in omv webgui?

im pretty sure it is.
    when i browse folders i see an extra something thats not supposed to be there, but when i was removing the drive there was no way to unmount it and it said it was still in use, even tho i had deleted all shares and everything on the disk to be sure.