Beiträge von Lord Wektabyte

I think I replied to a thread some time ago explaining how to use it.
    First you have to install the Backup plugin and then, from the plugin you have to install Clonezilla and then, after installation, choose Clonezilla to boot into it.
    After that, you have to log into the Clonezilla system (via SSH or directly with a monitor and keyboard) and going through the process of doing an image of your system drive which will be saved on a data drive of your choice.

After that, you can swap OMV 's HDD with the new SSD and then you have two options:
    1. boot Clonezilla Live from a DVD or USB drive
    2. install OMV from scratch, install backup plugin, install Clonezilla and boot Clonezilla using the plugin

And then restoring the image from the data drive to the SSD, either via SSH or locally on the computer.

EDIT: Here is the thread i was talking about on how to use Clonezilla. (Not a guide, not a manual, only explaining to another user how I backup my system drive)

Hope it helps!
    Guillem

Nice machine! Looks good!
    Just one advice, I tried with RAID1 and I failed and almost lost loads of data. Since RAID is not a Backup solution, and having in mind that you have not built any "enterprise-ñevel" NAS, I would go with RSnapshot if you need redundancy. Call me paranoid but I don't trust any RAID with less than 3 or 4 disks.

Maybe you are planning to use RAID to speed up reads or you don't have very valuable data in those disks. I just wanted to give my opinion on RAID.

Greetings
    Guillem

Hey Stylish!
    The best way to do it is using Clonezilla. You can install it using the backup plugin or download a live DVD or USB from its webpage.

What I did when I upgraded to an SSD (or because I'm paranoid and I do an image everytime I change some configs) is doing an image to a Data drive and then restoring.

Quite simple. If you need more details, you're welcome.

Guillem

Hello everyone,
    I'm running a personal Wordpress site on my NAS using MySQL plugin to store the database. The plugin is good since it allows you to auto-backup the database into a defined shared folder whenever you want creating a cron-job.
    My question is if it would be very difficult to implement a feature which would let the user to delete old SQL dumps from the shared folder. Like in the RSnapshot plugin where you can select how many daily, weekly, monthly... backups do you want to keep.

If it can not be implemented in the plugin, is there any way to do a cron-job or something to delete SQL dumps older than X days?

Thank you!
    Guillem

Symlinks are like shortcuts in Windows. So if you keep default mysql location but you want the database data to be stored actually on another place, you can make a symlink between the two locations so /var/lib/mysql will "point" to /media/your-disk/your-sql-directory

Google a bit about that, they're easy to set up and mysql works fine for me with this method.

Greetings
    Guillem.

Enviat des del meu D2303 usant Tapatalk

I don't know why you messed up the web, but when I had this problem (not because of changing MySQL database) I log in via SSH or directly with the command line and launch omv-firstaid. Then restoring web server (or similar) in the options and Then doing service nginx restart.

That worked for me every time I got any "It works"

Enviat des del meu D2303 usant Tapatalk

I posted some time ago answering tinh_x7 and because of that, I found that I cannot renew or create new certificates. I have port 80 forwarded to my OMV box but I get an error that let's encrypt can't "access" /var/www/openmediavault/acme-challenge/(some random string of numbers/letters).

Anyone know what is happening? I had let's encrypt running for some time now (so I thought it was renewing the certificate automatically) and I found out that in the plugin says "you have to do a reverse proxy to redirect all the yourdomain.tld/acme-challenge/* to your webroot but I don't understand what does it mean (neither I know what is a reverse proxy and how to set it up).

Hope someone can give a clue on that also...

Have a look at This article (in Spanish). They also take OpenMediaVault as an example for converting a cheap RPi to a NAS!

As @WastlJ said, expect some new SPANISH users here posting in the RPi section :thumbup:

Edit: I'm going to translate for the ones who want to know what does it say about that:

Skipping the constructive part of the NAS, I wish I indicassi more detail the best backup strategy to have a good safety record.
    Thank you

Just to give my personal opinion, I think the best backup solution for your needs would be to have an HDD for data and a secondary drive as a backup of the first one using RSnapshot. That's how my home NAS works and I'm very happy with it. Rsnapshot keeps versioning without needing more space than a full backup since it uses hardlinks and only stores the files that have changed since the last backup.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: For hard dive advice, I've been running my NAS 24/7 at home and the data drives are 2x2,5" from laptops. One is from my actual laptop (which I updated to an SSD) and the other one was from my sister's dead laptop. No problems for the moment. SMART tests seem OK, so if you don't want to pay the extra for a "NAS branded" hard disk, you could use spare drives if you have some lying around.

There we go:

Any clue with this?

Hello everybody,
    I've recently noticed that I can not see the changelog of the updates on the GUI. Sometimes, before upgrading, I take a look at the packages I most know to see what they have changed and that stuff but, since some time ago, an error shows up when I select a package and click on "Changelog".

|| I have not taken any screenshot or copied the error anywhere so I can't post it here, but the error said something like: dpkg could not identify the package as a tar (or something like this) and so it could not retrieve the changelog of the selected package.

Does anyone have any idea of what has happened? Since I don't know much about Linux updates, I install all of them when they appear. Is that "'policy" correct? Or should I install only OMV updates?

Thanks in advance.
    Guillem

Hey, thanks for this guide. It helped me a lot but, as I could expect, something's gone wrong: when I start the service (step 20) I get this prompt:

Python
    Starting Google Cloud Print: Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/bin/cloudprint", line 5, in <module>
        from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
    ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

No asking for Google Account or nothing like this...

Any idea?