Beiträge von Eryan

Last time I had to restore my installation from a dd back up, I found the easiest way was simply to make a clean installation of OMV, boot that up, and then simply restore the system partition out of the dd back up using the dd command line (don't aske precisely what command I used, it was long ago). Do you have a full dd back up, or simply the system partition? If you have the later, try first a clean installation (which takes care of the boot loader and such) and then try to restore the system only.

Nope. This is why the restart button (which should remount) is there. I don't like the idea of restarting the pool with any change because something may be using it.

As a safety measure, I believe a manual restart of the pool is the way to go. In that case you can avoid unintentional changes to the pool. The mistake was on my side, since I ignored that a restart of the pool is necessary to apply the changes. That is not a problem with OMV, that is simply how MergerFS works.

Replying to myself, I found a solution with the help of Reddit. Tl;DR: OMV does not apply the changes from MergerFS on the fly, meaning that the drive pool must be remounted after any changes are done (restarting OMV also works). Therefore, although the Web interface shows the that the pool is only composed of two drives instead of three, the underlying OS has not applied the changes yet. Hence, any changes done to the files in the non-pooled drive will be reflected in the pooled drives.

After mod fing the pool and restarting the system I was able to modify the files in the pooled drive without affecting the ones in the pooled ones.

[…]

Hello! Well yes I did, but my workaround was quite different. I have backups of my OMV installation. My solution was simply to nuke my OS drive and restore to it using one of the back ups. It was virtually impossible to know which docker container got corrupted after running the server without drives. I made the mistake of running some of the containers on a drive pool, hence the container files where spread across 3 different HDDs.

So, long story short, if you have a back up of your OS I would recommend just restoring your installation. It was way easier and faster, at least in my case.

PS: after you restore the OS, please oh please do not forget to connect the data drives before booting into your newly restored OMV. Don't ask me why I am telling you this.

Hello forum!

I am experiencing a very unusual issue that I cannot explain myself. First, my configuration:

1. x4 1 TB hard drives

2. x3 hard drives are pooled together with mergerfs

3. The fourth hard drive works as parity for snapraid

4. All my shared folders (namely samba shares) are spread across the pool, which is evenly distributed (all 3 drives are similarly full)

I wanted to remove one of the drives out of the pool, not from the system, only from the pool. So, I did the following:

1. In OMV UI, I removed the drive (lets call it solo-drive) from the pool. The name of the pool remained the same, but it has only 2 drives now.

2. Log in via SSH, and using MC copy the files from the solo-drive to the pool

3. I did not restarted my system in between

The problem is that the transfer of files went bananas: I first copied a folder with non-critical data. For that I just moved the files from the solo-drive to the pool. Moving the data went fine, but when it was finished it disappeared from both the solo-drive AND the pool. I then tried coping first and then deleting from the solo-drive, with the same result. In short, deleting a folder from the solo-drive deletes also its equivalent in the pool. For whatever reason, although the solo-drive is no longer in the pool, the files inside are still somehow linked.

So, I decided to stop before moving my critical files. Any idea why this is happening?

Hello!

I am in the same boat right now, but I do not really understand your solution. I ran my server without drives and after reinstalling the drives I am not able to mount my merged pool. I am also running docker containers pointing to the pool. I deleted the docker files in the mergerfs mount point, but that did not solve the issue. Would you mind to formulate further?

Thanks in advance!

Hello macom, and thanks for the suggestion. I also considered using it as an off-site backup. However, I don't feel like moving the drive back and forth. It is a mechanical drive after all and they are prone to getting damaged while moved around. On top of that, the files on the drive will change relatively often (mostly pictures synced to the server) meaning that I would need to regularly bring the drive home (i.e. once weekly). That's why I am looking for a solution to set and forget, like automated weekly snapshots of the data. I could also sync over the internet, but the outdated German internet infrastructure with 40 mb/s upload speed is holding me back.

Don't take me wrong! I should have also an off-site backup, but that would happen at a later point in time.

Hello Forum

As part of my backup strategy for my home server, I got myself a refurbished 3TB external drive. The price was very good (45€ for both the drive and Seagate enclosure, Ebay refurbished) so I decided to bite the bullet. The drive seems to be OK (7200 RPM, 0 hours runtime and 4 power on counts) and since it is going to be a secondary backup, I tough I could take the risk.

Now, I am currently using SnapRAID as my first backup (3 data drives plus a parity one) but I wanted to add an additional layer in case the human feces collide with the airflow generating machine. I'll run weekly snapshots of some data in the server (mainly pictures) to the external drive.

My question to you guys is where should the drive hang? I have a secondary server running docker with a bunch of different things. My line of thinking was that it would be "safer" to connect the external drive to the thin client in case my main server suffers a catastrophic failure and, for example, two or more drives kick the bucket. On the other hand, both my OMV server and the thin client sit next to each other in my server rack, which raises the question if it wouldn't be better to connect the external drive directly to my OMV and call it a day.

In addition, if the drive is mounted in OMV as a remote share, do you recommend Samba or NFS?

My apologies in advance if the thread is somewhat absurd, but I have burned more time thinking about it than I would like to admit.

Thanks!

For whatever reason it was still installed. Why exactly is completely unknown to me. I uninstalled it (again) and ran the commands you suggested. They all returned nothing (as it should be).

So, problem solved I guess? I'll wait until tomorrow to see if I get notifications regarding ClamAV. If not, I believe the issue was a zombie ClamAV process running in my server.

Hello macom

Thanks for the reply. I believe the issue might be solved. A couple of days ago tried installing the plug in, enabling it, disabling and uninstalling it. Apparently that worked, since have received no further notifications in the last two days.

However, coming back to your suggestion, the output of the commands is as follows. If I am not mistaken, the plug in is somehow still running:

Code
    root@Openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep clamav
    ii  clamav-base                         0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1         all          anti-virus utility for Unix - base package
    ii  clamav-daemon                       0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1         amd64        anti-virus utility for Unix - scanner daemon
    ii  clamav-freshclam                    0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1         amd64        anti-virus utility for Unix - virus database update utility
    ii  libclamav9:amd64                    0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1         amd64        anti-virus utility for Unix - library
    ii  openmediavault-clamav               6.0.1-2                        all          openmediavault ClamAV plugin

Hello Forum!

I am experiencing a quite unusual problem and I am at lost regarding how to solve it. A year ago or so I installed ClamAV in my server since I gave my parents access to it. Shortly after, they didn't required access any longer so decided to uninstall ClamAV. At the time, the server was running OMV 5.

Fast forward to last week. I upgraded my server to version 6 and decided to activate notifications. To my surprise, I am getting 60+ notifications early in the morning with error message from ClamAV telling me that it cannot scan a folder (the one I originally shared with my parents and that was being monitored a year ago):

Code
    ERROR: Could not connect to clamd on LocalSocket /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl: No such file or directory

As far as I recalled I had uninstalled the plugin. So I checked again and the plugin was indeed not installed. I checked the scheduled jobs, but there was no task related to ClamAV. I tried installing the plugin and uninstalling it again, but the problem still persists.

In my humble understanding of how OMV works, I suspect that there is a zombie cron job somewhere trying to run a scan or monitor a folder every day at 4:00 am. It fails of course since the plug in is not available, and then it generates a zillion notifications that end up in my inbox.

I checked the files in my server hopping to find a cron job under etc/crontab, but what I found instead is a clamav folder with a bunch of configurations inside (which I suppose shouldn't exist since the plugin is not installed). I also tried cleaning the installed packages (System -> omv-extras -> Settings -> apt-clean) but that didn't solve the issue either.

So, I am at a dead end and have no clue what went wrong. I don't think that the problem was a consequence of the server upgrade. Any ideas or suggestions are highly appreciated!

I just happened to experience this same issue after migrating to OMV5. I have 3 drives pooled, placed Plex's /config and /transcode in a share in the pool and it did not worked. Now, I know that I have to put those folders outside the pool, but how? I am considering two options:

1. Put both folders in one drive of the pool and point Docker directly to them (use the drive_ID/config instead of pool-mount-point/config). However, I am not sure if that might mess up with the pool. I tried that already and it worked, but I ended up with two folders with identical drive names under /srv: one with the data from the pool and another one with only the Plex Database. Any ideas or recommendations?

2. Put both folders in the OS drive under /var/lib/Plex. I am using a 64 Gb SSD and the database should not be that big (circa 3,5 GB)

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

How do you have your movies organized?

Movies --> A, B, C or just all Movies in this one folder? What is the file system Extention? What File permissions do the movies have?

I sometimes have problems reading files when plex is not in the "users" group. It should work without, but I have less problems since that:
    usermod -a -G users plex and a service plexmediaserver restart after that.

This!!! My PMS was not detecting any changes in the music or video folders and, therefore, not updating the corresponding libraries. I checked and updated the ACLs but it still didn't worked. I added Plex to the users group and it intermediately worked. Thanks a lot!

If you are on the market for used parts, you could go with a similar build as what I have (check my signature). I am running an Intel DQ77KB with an i3-3220. The Mainboard has almost everything you could possibly need, a very good BIOS with a wide array of options, dual gigabit, msata, etc. The consumption is around 15W and the performance is more than enough for a home server application. You can run second and third generation Intel CPUs up to a 65W TDP.

Currently I am using 3 hard drives in SnapRaid plus one SSD for OS. The Mainboard alone supports up to 4 hard drives plus one msata drive. Additional drives can be plugged via a PCI-e expansion card.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

@cosmicvoyager

I finally managed to configure OpenVPN and Pihole to play nice. Now the traffic from my VPN clients is being channeled via pihole. What I was missing was a small configuration in my OpenVPN: the DNS server. Here you should place the IP address of your router. That way the incoming traffic from your VPN will be "forwarded" to your router, and will access your home network thru your router. After that, Pihole can do its magic as it would do with any device in your home network.

Looking at the server.conf file of OpenVPN, adding the correct DNS server adds a couple of extra lines in the file:

Code
    server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
    push "route 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0"
    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
    ;push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"
    push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
    push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.1"

See those 2 last lines of code? In my very basic understanding of networking, the last 2 lines of code redirect the traffic from the VPN clients to the router IP, and from there it enters the network. In that way, a VPN client with an IP of 10.8.0.X (the subnet created by OpenVPN) is then forwarded to the router gateway (its IP address), and it access the network with the router's IP address.

Of course, what this means is that you cannot see the VPN clients in your home network, because they access the network "disguised" as your router. Nonetheless, you can access the devices on the network by referring to their IP addresses.

I apologize in advance for my less-than-appropriate explanation. As said, I am not very versed in networking topics, but I hope that my countless hours of frustration and failures to make this work may help you and save you some headaches.

Thanks for posting this. I'm about to undergo the same migration. I'm currently using mdadm raid1 and I have around 3-4 extra hard drives sitting around without use. A new motherboard is on the way with 6 SATA connections so I should have the ability to add a bunch of space into a pool. I figured I'd have to blank things out so had already planned it...sounds like you found the same. Anyway, appreciate the info!

I followed the advice suggested by other posts on the forum, and the general advice was to create the shares directly in the pooled drive, which meant starting from scratch.

Be aware that one parity drive is enough for up to 4 data drives. If you plan using 6 drives, you'll need two parity HDDs.

Greetings!

If that does not work do this:

apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    apt-get --purge remove plexmediaserver
    userdel plex

And then try to reinstall the plugin... I have not seen your problem before. (edit- I have seen this a lot.)

THIS! Someone please give this man a cookie! I was going nuts trying to reinstall Plex. I tried uninstalling and purging, but I never thought of deleting the old Plex user. I had to reinstall Plex due to a hard drive migration, but the installer kept looking for the old HDD. Perhaps some old configuration files where kept under the plex user folder, which messed with the new installation

Replying to myself, I completed the migration. My plan was for the drives in the pool to fill up evenly. This was not possible with the configuration I had before. If I simply kept the first drive (Data1) with the my data on it, and add it with a new drive (Data2) to a pool, it was not possible to get UnionFS to put newly created files in Data2, despite having selected the "most free space" policy. In the end, I move all my files out to a back up drive, wiped both Data1 and Data2 and created the pool. I then created my shares directly in the new pool drive, set the policy to "most free space" and copied my data back. Both hard drives filled up evenly this time, with the files spread across both of them.

The pool drive has of course a different name. I could not find a simple way to rename the it to match the name of my old drive. Therefore, I ended up updating all my SMB shares to point to the newly created pool drive. Plex was kind of a headache, and I ended up recreating my Plex library from the ground. It took some time, but it was worth.

Finally, for Snapraid I used the following guide: https://forum.openmediavault.o…reconnect-shared-folders/

Hello forum!

My current OMV server currently has only one 1 TB HDD for my data (Data1), which I regularly back up to an external USB HDD. OMV runs on a separate SDD. Since the HDD is getting slowly full, I wanted to move to a HDD pool + SnapRaid to make it easy to expand the storage in the future. However, I have a few doubts regarding the best way to create the pool, and how to migrate my current system to minimize the work required.

Creating the pool

My current HDD is at roughly 70% of its capacity. I wanted to simply add a new HDD, create a pool and that's it. However, since the old HDD is mostly full, even if I set UnionFS policy to "most free space", the majority of the data will be still in the old HDD. My rationale here is that I would like to have the data evenly distributed between the drives to gain a little in read/write performance. I have 2-3 users using the server, and having the data spread across the drives should should improve the performance of the HDD pool. Therefore, from the following options what would be the best?

1. Keep the old drive as it is, add a new drive to the pool and set UnionFS policy to "most free space".
    2. Backup the data from the old drive, erase it, create a pool with the old and new drives, and copy the data again to the pool. UnionFS policy: most free space.
    3. Keep the old drive as it is, add a new drive, move some data to the new drive; and finally create a pool (UnionFs policy: most free space).

Renaming the HDD pool

Another concern that I have is renaming the pool. I have several services running, all of them using the name of my current HDD drive. When I create the pool in UnionFS, how does it work with the name of the pool? For example, my music folder is under /srv/VeryLongHDDName/Music. My Plex library is linked to that folder. When I create the HDD pool, how can I update the location of my music folder without having to rebuild my Plex library? Is it possible to simply update the location of the music library and Plex Database?

Thanks for the advice!