Posts by Eryan

I just happened to experience this same issue after migrating to OMV5. I have 3 drives pooled, placed Plex's /config and /transcode in a share in the pool and it did not worked. Now, I know that I have to put those folders outside the pool, but how? I am considering two options:

1. Put both folders in one drive of the pool and point Docker directly to them (use the drive_ID/config instead of pool-mount-point/config). However, I am not sure if that might mess up with the pool. I tried that already and it worked, but I ended up with two folders with identical drive names under /srv: one with the data from the pool and another one with only the Plex Database. Any ideas or recommendations?

2. Put both folders in the OS drive under /var/lib/Plex. I am using a 64 Gb SSD and the database should not be that big (circa 3,5 GB)

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

How do you have your movies organized?

Movies --> A, B, C or just all Movies in this one folder? What is the file system Extention? What File permissions do the movies have?

I sometimes have problems reading files when plex is not in the "users" group. It should work without, but I have less problems since that:
    usermod -a -G users plex and a service plexmediaserver restart after that.

This!!! My PMS was not detecting any changes in the music or video folders and, therefore, not updating the corresponding libraries. I checked and updated the ACLs but it still didn't worked. I added Plex to the users group and it intermediately worked. Thanks a lot!

If you are on the market for used parts, you could go with a similar build as what I have (check my signature). I am running an Intel DQ77KB with an i3-3220. The Mainboard has almost everything you could possibly need, a very good BIOS with a wide array of options, dual gigabit, msata, etc. The consumption is around 15W and the performance is more than enough for a home server application. You can run second and third generation Intel CPUs up to a 65W TDP.

Currently I am using 3 hard drives in SnapRaid plus one SSD for OS. The Mainboard alone supports up to 4 hard drives plus one msata drive. Additional drives can be plugged via a PCI-e expansion card.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

@cosmicvoyager

I finally managed to configure OpenVPN and Pihole to play nice. Now the traffic from my VPN clients is being channeled via pihole. What I was missing was a small configuration in my OpenVPN: the DNS server. Here you should place the IP address of your router. That way the incoming traffic from your VPN will be "forwarded" to your router, and will access your home network thru your router. After that, Pihole can do its magic as it would do with any device in your home network.

Looking at the server.conf file of OpenVPN, adding the correct DNS server adds a couple of extra lines in the file:

Code
    server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
    push "route 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0"
    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
    ;push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"
    push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
    push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.1"

See those 2 last lines of code? In my very basic understanding of networking, the last 2 lines of code redirect the traffic from the VPN clients to the router IP, and from there it enters the network. In that way, a VPN client with an IP of 10.8.0.X (the subnet created by OpenVPN) is then forwarded to the router gateway (its IP address), and it access the network with the router's IP address.

Of course, what this means is that you cannot see the VPN clients in your home network, because they access the network "disguised" as your router. Nonetheless, you can access the devices on the network by referring to their IP addresses.

I apologize in advance for my less-than-appropriate explanation. As said, I am not very versed in networking topics, but I hope that my countless hours of frustration and failures to make this work may help you and save you some headaches.

Thanks for posting this. I'm about to undergo the same migration. I'm currently using mdadm raid1 and I have around 3-4 extra hard drives sitting around without use. A new motherboard is on the way with 6 SATA connections so I should have the ability to add a bunch of space into a pool. I figured I'd have to blank things out so had already planned it...sounds like you found the same. Anyway, appreciate the info!

I followed the advice suggested by other posts on the forum, and the general advice was to create the shares directly in the pooled drive, which meant starting from scratch.

Be aware that one parity drive is enough for up to 4 data drives. If you plan using 6 drives, you'll need two parity HDDs.

Greetings!

If that does not work do this:

apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    apt-get --purge remove plexmediaserver
    userdel plex

And then try to reinstall the plugin... I have not seen your problem before. (edit- I have seen this a lot.)

THIS! Someone please give this man a cookie! I was going nuts trying to reinstall Plex. I tried uninstalling and purging, but I never thought of deleting the old Plex user. I had to reinstall Plex due to a hard drive migration, but the installer kept looking for the old HDD. Perhaps some old configuration files where kept under the plex user folder, which messed with the new installation

Replying to myself, I completed the migration. My plan was for the drives in the pool to fill up evenly. This was not possible with the configuration I had before. If I simply kept the first drive (Data1) with the my data on it, and add it with a new drive (Data2) to a pool, it was not possible to get UnionFS to put newly created files in Data2, despite having selected the "most free space" policy. In the end, I move all my files out to a back up drive, wiped both Data1 and Data2 and created the pool. I then created my shares directly in the new pool drive, set the policy to "most free space" and copied my data back. Both hard drives filled up evenly this time, with the files spread across both of them.

The pool drive has of course a different name. I could not find a simple way to rename the it to match the name of my old drive. Therefore, I ended up updating all my SMB shares to point to the newly created pool drive. Plex was kind of a headache, and I ended up recreating my Plex library from the ground. It took some time, but it was worth.

Finally, for Snapraid I used the following guide: https://forum.openmediavault.o…reconnect-shared-folders/

Hello forum!

My current OMV server currently has only one 1 TB HDD for my data (Data1), which I regularly back up to an external USB HDD. OMV runs on a separate SDD. Since the HDD is getting slowly full, I wanted to move to a HDD pool + SnapRaid to make it easy to expand the storage in the future. However, I have a few doubts regarding the best way to create the pool, and how to migrate my current system to minimize the work required.

Creating the pool

My current HDD is at roughly 70% of its capacity. I wanted to simply add a new HDD, create a pool and that's it. However, since the old HDD is mostly full, even if I set UnionFS policy to "most free space", the majority of the data will be still in the old HDD. My rationale here is that I would like to have the data evenly distributed between the drives to gain a little in read/write performance. I have 2-3 users using the server, and having the data spread across the drives should should improve the performance of the HDD pool. Therefore, from the following options what would be the best?

1. Keep the old drive as it is, add a new drive to the pool and set UnionFS policy to "most free space".
    2. Backup the data from the old drive, erase it, create a pool with the old and new drives, and copy the data again to the pool. UnionFS policy: most free space.
    3. Keep the old drive as it is, add a new drive, move some data to the new drive; and finally create a pool (UnionFs policy: most free space).

Renaming the HDD pool

Another concern that I have is renaming the pool. I have several services running, all of them using the name of my current HDD drive. When I create the pool in UnionFS, how does it work with the name of the pool? For example, my music folder is under /srv/VeryLongHDDName/Music. My Plex library is linked to that folder. When I create the HDD pool, how can I update the location of my music folder without having to rebuild my Plex library? Is it possible to simply update the location of the music library and Plex Database?

Thanks for the advice!

Yes. Just place the client config file at /etc/openvpn folder.

My apologies for bringing back this thread from the dead, but I am facing a similar scenario but I am not sure that I follow your idea. First, when you refer to "configuration file" do you mean the certificate file that OpenVPN generates for the clients to connect?

My situation is like this: I would like to connect two OMV servers in different locations. My main server (OMV1) is at my home, the second server (OMV2) is a backup server at my parents place (for off-site back ups).

The OMV1 has already a functional OpenVPN server which I regularly use, so my plan is to connect the OMV2 server at my parents via VPN (as a client) to the OMV1 server at my place. The thing is, I do not know how to configure the OMV2 to tunnel all its traffic thru the VPN. If I follow your advice, that means that I have to install OpenVPN also in the OMV2, copy the configuration file in the folder you mentioned and voilá?

Thanks in advance!

Bios Whitelist. As a Dell computer, the bios restricts what can be installed in the mini PCI port. It might be that the USB card you want to install won't be recognized. And if you are lucky and it does get recognized, it is hard to tell if you will be able to boot from a pendrive connected to it.

I would not go wild with soldering a sata port. It is difficult to tell where to sold. A mobo is a multi layered PCB, and it is close to impossible to know what has to be soldered and where.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

But he wrote that it was simple and he didnt have to do any hacks to do that? And is it possible to overcome chipset limits with some bios hack anyway?

Another question is - is it worth to buy 2x2GB sticks anyway? If all OSes see only 3GB isnt just better to buy 2GB+1GB?

You'll then have to ask him if there are any mods necessary for the 8 gigs! As far as I understood the mod is on the bios level. But I might be wrong.

Regarding the ram stick sizes well, it shouldn't be an issue if you use 2 and 1. The Fx160 does not support dual channel memory i believe. Only then equally sized ram sticks would be better to take advantage of the speed boost.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I can perhaps help with some of the questions:

1. @ngevan2k managed to get 8 Gb of RAM because he modified the Bios. AFAIK the Atom 230/330 can use more than 4 Gb of RAM, but in the FX 160 that amount is limited to 4. There are no special versions nor special chips built in the FX 160.

2. I've heard mixed opinions regarding the Crytal HD. Some people got it to work without fuzzle. Nonetheless, having the card won't help you with Plex. Plex relies purely on CPU for transcoding. You can take advantage of the Crystal HD if you use the FX160 as media player, that is, as a client for Plex and not as a server.

3. Check the pictures on the first posts of this thread. I managed to put 2 2.5 drives inside (a 1 TB HDD and a SSD). You have to mount one of the drives in the HDD caddy, and the other one has to be mounted above the RAM sticks. Be aware that it can only be done if 1. you use only one ram stick (the one inclined) or 2. you use 2 low profile ram sticks. I have no experience regarding RAID with the FX 160.

4. Never experimented with the LAN speeds, my system was usually accessed over Wlan so I was usually limited to max. 20 MB/s.

I struggled to get pihole working with docker and ended up getting a rpi zero w.
    Would love to see a step by step guide though.

I am having also issues with Docker and was also considering just using a Raspi. Wanted to test it first with a DietPi VM or something along the lines, but for simplicity's sake chances are that I'll go the Raspi way.

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Somewhat bumping this post. I would also like to install Pi-Hole within a Docker, but I am having issues to to configure it and make it work. Any help with the configuration is highly appreciated.

I am not familiar with docker to be honest. Will look onto that. Thanks!

EDIT:

After looking at Docker, it certainly is a far better approach to use PiHole since I do not need to make a full OS install (the case for the VM option). Now, if I install PiHole in Docker, will the docker have its own IP Address different from OMW? The reason being that I have to point the router DNS server to the IP of PiHole in order for it to work.

Hello Forum!

I've been playing for a while with the idea of setting a PiHole server at home. The most straightforward way to do it would be to set up a Rasperry Pi and finito! However, being the curious non-straightforward guy that I am, I thought about setting PiHole in my server as a VM.

As background information, the motherboard on my OMV server is an Intel DQ77KB which has 2 (Intel) NICs. My original idea was to let OMV work exclusively with one NIC and set the second one exclusively for PiHole. The VM will even have its own physical HDD (a small 2 Gb SSD, more than enough for a minimum Debian install plus PiHole). However, when I created a VM in virtualBox and tried to assign the second NIC to the VM, it was not available. I set the network in Bridged Mode, but the only NIC shown is the one used by OMV.

Searching thru the Forum I found some threads about multiple-NIC OMV installations, and most of them point to the fact that OMV shows only the NIC used by it. The network interfaces menu on the GUI shows only one NIC (eth2), and so does ifconfig -a. Both NICs are connected to my router, but only one is shown in the list of attached devices.

Therefore, the thing is like this:

1. Is the proposed idea of the VM with PiHole the best solution? If not, what do you recommend? I know that I can use the Raspi, but I don't want another device hanging around my router. I thought about taking advantage of the dual NIC on the mainboard.

2. How can I assign the second NIC exclusivelly to the PiHole VM?