Posts by mipi

Hi,

I know, it is not the best practice to combine NAS and Mediaplayer, but for some kind of a bet I want to get the following setting up running:

- Odroid HC1 with HD
    - Openmediavault 4 XU4 Image
    - USB Soundcard
    - Volumio as a Mediaplayer

How do I Install Volumio on a OMV-Installation (or vice versa) and integrate the USB-Sounddevice (UGREEN) ? Is there a beter alternative instead of a OMV-Image, maybe using Rasbian or similar?

Bye Micha

installed OMV4 for Odroid XU4/HC2 ...

red messages in former Posts, tried some passwords like root -> openmediavaullt, admin ->openmediavault, changed webend-password, used password for root and admin ... nothing suceeded ...

... what is the root password in standard installation? And why is it such a secret ...

Cheap hdds may rely more on the caches for speed.

Is a Seagate Ironwolf 10 TB a cheap one?

Usually a you should get much higher speeds, but when copying whole drives caches are not very useful. So you may experience much slower speeds than what SATA III is capable of.

Also rsync is probably not the fastest way to copy data internally. It does more than just shuffle data...

What is the better choice ... i point out I was a little bit nervous while my last backup set was in duty ...

For unfortunate reasons I had to restore my backup, a internal SATA-Drive to another.

I backup my data drive regularly to a paralell driven hd ... additional i backup to a USB3-Drive. So far so good.

When I restored using rsync Sata-hd - to Sata hd, intern i get transfer-rates up to 100 +/- MB/sec, almost the same as doing the same on Sata-hd - USB3 and the over all speed was very poor

Is this ok?

Micha

With installing a Backup-Installation on a Odroid HC2 I do have some problems further to my Question with entering shares Problems with applying shared folders ...

a) when I install rsnapshot it seems to work, its creating dirs but they are not populated.

b) it wont make a initial backup with all files. Is it normal, that I have to make a initial backup via rsync?

c) when I try to make a rsync-fullbackup-task in OMV i get an error, that hinders rsync to be executed as a scheduled job ... like

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export SHELL=/bin/sh; sudo --shell --non-interactive -- /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsync-cdedcf78-a51b-46aa-9ecc-c83a7fca4a79 2>&1' with exit code '1':

Suggestions? Tried to rsync in a terminal with everything happens as it should ...

Micha

I have problems when I try to apply shared folders ... i get

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-backup.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for sharedfolders-backup.mount failed. See "systemctl status sharedfolders-backup.mount" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

and

Working on a Odroid HC2. What is happening?

When I try

Code
    root@backup:/sharedfolders/backup# /usr/bin/rsnapshot -c "/var/lib/openmediavault/rsnapshot.d/rsnapshot-bc1587ab-839f-46c7-867e-b5fdfaef6400.conf"
    rsnapshot
    Usage: rsnapshot [-vtxqVD] [-c cfgfile] [command] [args]
    Type "rsnapshot help" or "man rsnapshot" for more information.
    root@backup:/sharedfolders/backup# ^C

I get an error, whats the mistake?

When I try to test my rsnapshot-installation in OMV, I get a window which shows the progress. Don't know if I can close the window to leave the rsnapshot-task unattended. Cannot see how to persuade rsnapshot to run at a certain time as you can do it in rsync-module.

So: How can I testrun rsnapshot manually and unattended, maybe from CLI?

Micha

Oggl, oggl ?( ... I understand maybe 33,79 % of your Text ... is your only point, that i've chosen the wrong power unit? Pls, be so kind show me the right one! No sarkassm, im not an
    Electrical engineer! Or is it consuming 0,1 watts too much? But in my expirience is a little bigger "Netzteil" a good choice when using a harddisk, may be wrong ... especially when you see what I used before ...

as long as it's really just the 'backup NAS' use case

(1) You got me ;-)

other than being an oversized PSU for a single disk setup..

PSU ? ... I have maybe 20-30 of these power supplies in my cave , even a hc2 would have one, don't get your point! And if I use a SBC and a external HD I would have one too

And ... after all ... in my approach I can add a second drive if needed. though it is a good replacement for my NAS with OMV

(To be honest, i got your point .. see (1))

Much to read ... ufff

After all I am not so wrong with a RockPro64 with housing and internal SATA, even its lacking the SBC charme ... ;-))

(As i got diffrent proposals here ...)

My approach

ROCKPro64 4GB SingleBoard Computer
    ROCKPro64 30mm TallProfile Heatsink

ROCKPro64 MetalDesktop/NAS Casing
    ROCKPro64 12V 5A EUPOWER SUPPLY

ROCKPro64 PCI-e toDual SATA-II Interface Card
    Fan for ROCKPro64Metal Desktop/NAS casing

For your use case the HC2 is still the best option (and should be back in stock in early 2019 if I understood Pollin.de correctly).

Thank you for this clear message, but ...

Pollin drove me crazy. On their Website the HC2 seemed to be on stock. After complainig they told me the HC2 will be in stock sometimes (!!!!), they was not so clear with the date. http://www.antratek.de moan about 3 Weeks ... maybe ...

Think I tend to rockpro64, is there a complaint about using intern SATA-Card instead an external USB-Cabeling?

After my old QNap with OMV 3 overcome its lifecycle i am looking for a small installation for a backup system with one Harddisk, running OMV 4/5 and simply rsync'ing my home-nas providing the backup via nfs/cifs.

I think I do not have high demands, looked for a Odroid HC2 while having a ironwolf 8TB Harddisk at hand. But in Germany it seems to be sold so I need alternatives ... what else Setup seems to be suiteable? Looked for RockPro64 but dont know if attaching Sata Drives Via USB3 is good / performant. Is a external usb-drive the same as direct attached sata3-drive in the HC2-Setup? ... What do I have to buy to run it 24/7 and where? Is there something else leke the HC2, while i like the dedicated straight design ...

Micha