Beiträge von cazten

Trying to ping and access the server from a separate subnet and failing.

OMV server is setup w/static IP in 192.168.1.253/24
    I have another subnet 172.16.254.0/24

I can ping every device from the 172 network -> the 192 network EXCEPT the omv box. Has to be configuration issue but I don't have any ACLs set? Thoughts on any settings that control this?

trying to copy files from my Cisco equipment to tftp server. I keep getting "undefined error". If i create a file ahead of time in the ftp server and name it exactly the same it will work... But if Im trying to copy it to the server from the Cisco equipment for the first time it will fail. I checked the box in OMV tftp settings to allow new files to be created. Not sure why it still fails?

Not sure why or the exact timing but it seems by torrent that are finished downloading change status to "Torrent Is Stopped". Seems to be about 20-45min after they finish. I can auto force them to seed and they change back after the same time or so.

Any thoughts?

I have a dl160 G6. With OMV copy speeds are very slow. Specifically copy speeds from one directory on the server HD to another, NOT network based. Getting about 3-4MB/sec.

OMV is running on top of ESXI. Any known issues that would cause such an issue? I don't have the Battery backed write cache yet if that makes any difference...

FYI extra info. OS is running on a SSD separate from the 3.5" drive the storage is kept on.

Platform is a HP Proliant dl160, ESXI. Resources given to the host = 1x Intel Xeon 5630 and 4GB ram. Doesn't even come close to maxing that out when transferring. Maybe running at 5% cpu and 15% memory.

Odd behavior. When transferring files from a end device -> NAS I get about 10-15MBsec (which I'm pretty sure is network related). When copying a file from one location on the NAS to a different directory I get about 3MBsec...

Already completely confused that a network transfer is 5x the speed of read/writting from the same drive. Tested HW speeds with with "conv=fdatasync if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/test.img bs=1G count=2" and got roughly 100MB/sec

These are all large video files. Thoughts?

Planning on installing OMV on a ESXI host.

2x xeon 5630's and 18GB ram. Im wondering what is recommended resources to allocate? I plan on installing the Emby plugin for video server/transcoding and Transmission plugin.

Im planning on experimenting with ESXI on some enterprise server HW I have. If I create a Virtual disk can I install OMV to it? I read earlier wherever you install OMV to consumes the entire disk right? Would creating a virtual disk get around this and not consume the entire physical hdd?

Yes same HW with freenass and omv.

They both get roughly the same SMB speeds when transferring to and from... In that case I'm wondering now if the bottleneck really is my network. Very old 7+ year old gbit router. Once upon a time it hit wire speeds but lately its been very flaky on wifi as well...

Biggest difference is with freenass I can access the shares via samba and manipulate them MUCH faster. Moves are more or less instant, copies are working at about 60MB/sec (which i thinks a limitation on my hardware with more resource intensive ZFS). Either way, is still a massive step up in speed as long as I'm working with items already on the NAS, and not transferring to it.

Unfortunately Ill have to stick with FreeNas for now. Its insanely more complicated but I've about got the hang of it. Once its done just backup the config and forget about the nightmare of setup lol!

Appreciate the help.

Thanks for the reply.

As an aside i decided to give FreeNas a try. Whats frustrating is it has NO problem moving huge directories around via SMB shares (manipulating files all on the NAS drive not network based transfers). Its great to be able to relocate a 100GB directory into a different directory (on the same drive) and it just goes as you'd expect... But the Jails/Permissions is such a headache I cant wrap my head around its useless.

I really wish this wasn't such an issue on OMV. I constantly need to manage large video files and having to use a file manager VS accessing the share is a serious pain.

Im trying to copy about 1TB data from a usb drive to the nas. I can get the copy to work in eXtplorer but after about 5-7GB it just stalls? No idea why. SMB shares are horrendously slow for some reason so I'm try to circumvent the network for now.

That worked! So if I use eXtplorer I can move files around very quickly just as I expected to. Samba shares are still slow as sin which is annoying... But my main issue was moving files within the server. I can live with the slow network speeds for a while because all I need to do is media stream which isn't that intensive.

Are there any file management solutions that use more of a drag and drop approach? eXtplorer is ok... But I really prefer navigating a a network share on my computer. Much easier to open tabs, rename items, drag and drop, ect.

Editing this post.

FTP yielded marginally better results. Seemed about 15-25Mbps depending on the file it was chewing through.
    Also confirmed with Ethtool, the interface is running 1gbps and full duplex.

Speeds I'm seeing are pretty standard across 3 different machines I have. 2 MBP with SSD drives and a Windows 10 machine. No difference on Wifi or LAN for the clients, as I don't seem to be even approaching speeds yet my Wifi can't handle yet.

ill give ftp a try but I have to learn how to use it.

Is it not already local speeds if I copy a SMB file to the drive. Then I replicate it onto the drive elsewhere? It never left the drive, even if I'm using a SMB share to access it.

NIC is built in, realtek i think. 1gbps.

SDA is system drive
    SDB is Media drive

root@openmediavault:/# dd conv=fdatasync if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/test.img bs=1G count=3

3+0 records in

3+0 records out

3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 28.9821 s, 111 MB/s

root@openmediavault:/# dd conv=fdatasync if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/test.img bs=1G count=3

3+0 records in

3+0 records out

3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 15.8059 s, 204 MB/s