Beiträge von LukeB

Hey guys,

Brand new Wheezy install, chucking OMV ontop of it. Followed the installation guide and got to the omv-initsystem command and it isnt really doing anything..

When i press enter, terminal goes to the next line, however it doesnt show me the prompt (i.e. root@blabla:/home/luke:) it just has the square. I can still type things, but nothing happens when i press enter, just goes to the next line.

Given im new to Linux - does this just mean its doing things in the background and I should be more patient? its been about 30 minutes and nothing has happened as yet.

Cheers

Great, thanks for that.

Yep - have that post (installing OMV ontop of Debian) bookmarked for when I get to that point.

In terms of the drive setup - do you have any suggestions?

My initial (rookie) thinking is: Partition my external USB Drive (which is 1tb):

• 50gb partition for Debian + OMV system installation.
    • 2gb partition for swap files, and the
    • Rest of the 1tb drive as a data partition.

Allocate the Data partition for Debian - installing things, playing around, virtualisation etc.
    RAID 5 the 4 x 1tb drives and have them for OMV.

Thoughts?

Hi All,

Sorry for the long post, hopefully you stick with me.

Quick intro / background so that you know my technical background:

I have been into IT / computers pretty much my whole life, and my entire work career (I am 30) has been in IT. I have stayed away from Linux until this point, being a Windows 'purist' until about 2 years ago when I inherited my Fiance's old Macbook. Since that point, I have pretty much tried to avoid using Windows as much as possible (although I have a fondness for Windows 10).

I have been a help desk support agent for dial up internet, desktop technician at a computer shop and a few other technical roles like that. Currently I am a project manager working in the Cloud / Hosting / Infrastructure space. I am not looking to change my career or become an engineer.

Reason for exploring Linux & OMV:

• As I am working on Cloud / hosting deployments, I want to get a deeper understanding of what my Engineers have to do when they are building Linux servers.
    • I have a HP Proliant Gen8 microserver at home that has been running FreeNAS for about a year. This was used mainly to serve content / media throughout the house and store backups of photos. FreeNAS was cool, however ive been getting itchy feet and feel like i want to do 'more' with the server.
    • I am a natural tinkerer, and I have always been interested in dipping my toes into Linux however the opportunity never arose. I have a few weeks holiday coming up and this will be the perfect project for me.

Outcomes I want to achieve (hopefully):

• Clean Linux install that I can use / play around with to further my learnings. Id be interested in writing some scripts to automate backups to an external drive, learning CLI, playing with virtualisation, and just generally 'hacking' around.
    • Have software (OMV) to serve content to our home devices (TV running plex, ipad / iphone, laptops, sonos, etc).
    • Act as a backup point for our laptops.
    • Act as a backup point for our photos (which will then be further backed up onto an external drive).
    • I want to be able to remote into the server wherever I am. Initially, I figure I will just do this via teamviewer (or something like that), but will eventually setup a VPN connection.

Current hardware:

• HP Proliant Gen8 Celeron G1610T Dual-core.
    • 2GB of RAM (This will be increased in a few weeks)
    • 3 x 1tb drives that were setup as RAID 5 in FreeNAS. These are just WD Blue drives, but will be replaced by reds in time.
    • An external USB drive which I want to use to house the Linux & OVM install. Note: I will be getting a SSD to replace the external USB, however this will be in a few weeks. I want to start building / playing around now, so the USB drive will suffice.

Questions I have:

I have done a few days of reading up until this point, but at the moment i am still unsure on a number of things.

• First off - is what I want to achieve above reasonable? Or am I biting off more than I can chew?
    • I am unclear on what the best setup would be for the hard drives, given that OVM will be installed ontop of Linux and I want to still be able to play around in Linux. I understand that if I just installed OVM, then the entire space would be pointed towards that (less the drive that OVM is installed on).
      • What would be the best way to setup my drives to achieve the outcome that I am looking for? note:
        • I will most likely purchase another 1tb drive so that I have 4tb in total to play with.
        • I keep my media content pretty slim, and our laptop backups are not large at all.
    • Reading through the bare OVM installation guide, it recommends that you disconnect all drives except the one you are installing OVM to -

• Should this also be done when doing a clean Linux install?
        • If Yes:
          • I am assuming I can create all the required partitions and RAID setup using the GUI / CLI after the install is done.
        • If No:
          • Then I will create the required partitions and RAID setup during installation.

Thats pretty much it at this point.. apologies for the long winded post, but appreciate any help that can be provided. I understand that this is a OVM forum and not a general Linux forum, however my main concern is ensuring that OVM is setup properly.

If this post needs to go to a different forum just let me know.

Cheers