Posts by erik

Have a look here on the wiki
    OMV5 has moved to Cockpit for virtual machines, if you have a test rig then it might be an idea to try out Cockpit.

Thanks for the update.
    As of today cockpit looks even more miraculus to me than docker. I always considered it to be just a monitoring system.

You can still install virtualbox from the virtualbox repo but I won't port the plugin because that package is terrible with upgrades and phpvirtualbox isn't really being maintained.

Thanks ryecoarron, fully understandable. OMV cannot integrate what Debian abandoned.
    For the gui I need to install phpvirtualbox, correct?

Docker will be on my bucket list later, currently I woud like to continue with existing VMs.

Are there any dependencies or interferences between VirtualBox and OMV, for example regarding the kernel?
    Or can both play peacefully on the same gras?

There isn't one, Debian 10 Buster does not support virtualbox.

Same problem here:

I am still running OMV 2.2.14 (Stone Burner) on a HP Gen8 Microserver with the VirtualBox Plugin, as well as OMV 4 on a SBC and OMV 5 on a test rig (old Phenom Board).

As the update of the Microserver to actual OMV 5 is planned for this end of this year, I am still wondering how to get Virtual Box running.

It is surprising for me (without being an expert) that Debian 10 Buster should not support VirtualBox as there are How To's available regarding VB 6.1 and Buster, as well as the official Homepage of VirtualBox links to deb-Installation packages (.deb) for Buster. Are there any further details on this?

Nevertheless on my test rig I stucked with missing vboxdrv kernel module and no connection to any X display (the second, I expected).

What are my options to get VirtualBox running with or parallel to OMV 5?
    Any other options? I wouldn't be happy to change everything to Docker.

As long as i have no working procedure on my test rig, I don't like to pull the USB-Stick with Stone Burner, which serverd me well the last three years.

Any hint is highly appreciated.

Just for my curiosity, I set up OMV2 (in a virtual machine 2 cores, 4 Gig of RAM) with 'openmediavault_2.1_amd64.iso'. Went through until request for mirror servers.
    After some tries, I found out that the mirror on 'China / mirrors.sohu.com' still is active. I guess even some others more, but I did not tried every mirror in every corner of the world.

The set up groused about not having access to 'security.debian.org' but installation finally ended successfully. Was a matter of 10 minutes. Also Update Manager (Aktivierunsgverwaltung) was active and pushed OMV up to 2.2.14.

Long story short: The last time you saw your data alive was on your OMV 2 before the hard update.
    Once again, in post 2 votdev recommended to reinstall OMV2 and here is the how to.
    That is the thing you haven't tried yet.

The other question based on your initial post: Why did you think your system (OMV2) was corruted?
    No update anymore is a result of beeing out of service but not an indication of malfunction.

Did you have any problems on your data access before you made the hard update to OMV 5?

At which point are you now? Do you have access to your data or not?

Just from a theoretical point of view: If the reason is incompatibility within Debian 7->8 or 8->9 as votdev mentioned, then you have to go back.

Proxmox just adds one level of complexity, and I am not sure where the snapshots are stored to.
    And Proxmox does not give access to older systems.

I would keep all as simply as possible.

Of course Virtual Box also adds a level of complexity, therefore bare metal OMV 2 would be better, Or just a plain old Debian.
    But as I still have OMV 2.2.14 as VM available, it would be easy for you to set up.

Nevertheless, as my knowledge about Virtual machines and Raids are very limited, before connecting your high valuable data disks to any foreign system, the opinion of rycoaaron, geaves, votdev, aso should be regarded.

I wish you success with all attemps on OMV 4 and 5, and of course go on with this, but when this approach ends, I dont think that Proxmox would be helpful.

Hello everyone,

interesting thread, even for me who never used Raid actively (as I only use what I understand).

If this is a Debian problem (OMV 2 based on Wheezy and OMV 4 based on Stretch) the solution could be post 2 and 10 (setup of ancient OMV 2). When Debian 9 and later cannot recognize the Raid setup by Debian 7 (what is very surprising for me), then any attemps under OMV 4 are doomed to fail.

What about the following approach:

I still have OMV 2.2.14 as a virtual machine under Virtual box, which I can send you via some kind of file transfer. Setup of OMV 2.2 in Virtual box, connect the drives raw passthrough to the virtual machine and repeat all steps from post 2 and later.

This should also work on Debian 7 images, but if virtual machines are helpful, the old OMV 2 is more convenient.

Any comments from the experts about virtual machines with Raid on physical disks?
    (I have tried Raid only once with virtual disks, it worked but I did not follow the Raid path)

Second option, find someone in your area still using OMV 2 bare metall for rebuilding the Raid.
    As you also accept german language answers, I guess you are sitting in Germany or neighbour countries. OMV is realative widely present in Germany and people are lazy with upgrades when it runs.

This could solve the issue - or exclude the option of having OMV 2/4 incompatiblities.

But as at this stage the danger of doing something wrong by mistake which hinders later professional recovery, maybe in respect of the value of your data, it could be also an option to contact data rescue pros, to rebuild a broken Raid under Debian 7.

Erik

Welcome!

OMV has a strict seperation between system disk (your SSD on Sata-1) and data disks (on other SATA's).

Therefore you install on the system SSD. After this shutdown, connect, reboot and just mount the data-disks in the WEB-GUI.
    Maybe you have to define sharefolders and CIFS aso manually to access them, but datas are present.

To erase data you explicitely have to format (of course Dont do this!).

Years ago I had a broken flash-stick which forces me to reinstall. After attaching the data drives, everthing was where it was before.

Nevertheless a backup is always mandatory.

Very interesting thread, thanks for the insight.

I use the XU4 for homeautomatization (ioBroker), pi-hole and the nice plugins of OMV.
    Maybe there are better ways on a plain Linux, but thats the way I know, I tested this in a VM and it works.

And with the HC1/HC2/XU4-installation, in real life it works like charm.

Therefore I really appreciate your support, please continue.

There are side effects from writing a lot to the SD card. It wears out and fail. For instance if you use it for data storage/share that you update.

I learned the worn out of flash disk the hard way.
    Ok.,hard for the USB-stick even as SLC memory, for me one more installation.

With the flash-memory plugin everything is fine, and current installation on the XU4 activates this automatically (was not directly clear to me).

But now I am using eMMC-Flash with the XU4,
    I have no idea wheather this is more reliable than standard SD-card, the idea was that it is faster.

Thanks,
    the second answer supports the first and now I understand the readme.txt.
    So it is 8 GB for system (in btrfs) and everything elsa is free? Correct?

My output of fdisk -l is:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 14.6 GiB, 15634268160 bytes, 30535680 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x01bb5fb4

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 139263 131072 64M 83 Linux
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 139264 15500000 15360737 7.3G 83 Linux
    /dev/mmcblk0p3 15500001 30230303 14730303 7G 83 Linux

Can I just enter "mkfs.btrfs /dev/mmcblk0p3" in the shell to get the remaining space usable?
    I am a little bit surprised that this is not possible/visible on the GUI of OMV, as I was used to in the past.

If 8 GB is enough for the system and some additional software, I'll use the rest as a shared folder for data exchange.
    The basic idea was to use OMV headless and diskless, but this makes it easier with data exchange.

Any sideeffect with btrfs on only 8GB, compared to ext4?
    Up to know I have no experience with this file system.

I just installed OMV4 (from sourceforge.net via etcher) on my new Odroid XU4, everything works out of the box, but there are some questions remaining.

- As as system drive there is 16 GB on eMMC-Flash. I was used that OMV installation takes the complete partition, but on the present 16 GB eMMC-flash, only 8 GB are used with btrfs (and 60 MB ext4). Where is the remaining memory, any chance to activate this?

- omv-extras (4.1.11) still seems to be installed. Also openmediavault-flashmemory 4.1. But it is unclear whether this plugin is activated. Do I have to modify the fstab or is this still modified in this installation? In fstab there is no UUID for the swap partition.
    Is there no swap-file due to the direct odroid-installation or due to btrfs?

My intention was to run also pi-hole and ioBroker on the Odroid aside with OMV (which works perfectly in a testing VM-environment).
    Therefore I would appreciate to have the complete flash memory in one partition (ext4 or btrfs).

Does it make sense to stay on this installation with 8 GB btrfs or would it be the better way, firstly to install a plain Debian (on one partition) and then add OMV and the other applications.

Any hints or recommendations highly appreciated.
    Thanks

Got it.
    Had nothing to do with typos. For unknown reason VirtualBox blocks the mount for the virtual OMV4.

I was able to mount a share from the PC where Virtualbox runs on.
    But it is not possible to mount a share from another server, although I could ping the server from the CL. I tried this with three different devices, all in the same subnet.
    Strange, as a virtual OMV2 exact in the same Virtual Box does not show this behaviour.

Why are there no more shared folder?
    I liked the option to move the share folder away from the system-disk, for some reason under OMV2. Now its sticked again on my start drive.
    Can I manually adjust this in the fstab or will it be overwritten a next start?

Anyway, thanks for help.
    The clear statement that 'Host down' menas really 'Host down' helped me to circle the error.

Hello everybody,

I am just playing around with OMV4.x in a VM (Virtualbox) just to be pepared when Stone burner runs out of service.
    But still are having problems with 'Remote Mount' and CIFS mount from the Web Gui. All I get is this error:

This is the result in fstab from the 'Remote Mount' plugin:

//192.168. xx.yy/music /srv/b188a175-7634-4c38-83a2-368157dda178 cifs credentials=/root/.cifscredentials-574c0bad-b735-452e-97e5-2c239fee2cfb,_netdev,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Just as a reference, I did the same with a virtual OMV2.x Installation and this works well under same condition.
    The share itself comes from a living OMV-baremetal server. Settings are ok, also same user name and password.
    Why is it telling Host is down? The Host is up and working!

Where is the (or my) error?

Why is there no option in the 'Remote Mount' to choose the 'Shared Folder', like in the old 'Remote Shares' plugin?
    There are only options for 'Server', 'Share', 'user name' and 'password' for the server, but no option for 'shared folder --- select a shared folder' on client side?

Thanks
    Erik

You can delete shared folders if they are not references by any service anymore.

unfortunately not from the webadmin.

Thats the error message I get:

Code
    Failed to get configuration (xpath=//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='680f22d1-ede7-48f3-8860-fdab406fbfe5'])
    Fehler #3003:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to get configuration (xpath=//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='680f22d1-ede7-48f3-8860-fdab406fbfe5'])' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc:518
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceShareMgmt->delete(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('delete', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('ShareMgmt', 'delete', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

Under 'Shared folder': Referenced No
    Under 'Shared folder in use': In Use By 'config/system/shares/sharedfolder'

The easiest way wouldbe to reattach temporarily the hard disk again, but I am afraid, very like this one now went into my sat-receiver.

What might happen when I just erase the respective 14 lines
    <sharedfolder>
    </sharedfolder>
    in config.xml as proposed and reboot?

If there are side effects, I stay as it is. Not a big deal.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the advise
    Just to erase the block between

<sharedfolder>
    </sharedfolder>

related to my abandoned share and then reboot?

Any side effects?
    Is the config.xml designated to be manually edited or only automatic by OMV?

For copy work I temporarily connected an additional harddisk and created a shared folder and SMB-share. After work done, I deleted the SMB-share, but not the shard folder.
    Now the temporarily disk has gone, as well as the uuid=..., but the entry in 'shared folders' is still present: "Volume: n/a; Referenced: No".
    Any way to get rid of this entry?
    Thanks

Same here, HP Gen 8 OMV (2.2.14) and Synology DS112+ with Seagate 8 TB Archiv, working for nearly 2 years:

1.) rsync works, fine,

better option for me

2.) setup a backup share on the Synology with user and password.

3.) Connect this share to OMV HP Gen8 with "Remote Shares" - but map this Remote Share to a local folder which is NOT on your basic OMV file system. Otherwise every error of the Remote Share connection (i.e. Synology offline) causes possible overrun of this file system at time of backup with serious side effects. I use a small area of an auxiliary SSD with its own file system.

4.) Backup with "Rsnapshot" (which uses itself rsync) gives a versione backup. The history in backup (hourly, dayly,...) can be set up in Rsnapshot. Once set up, ths system backups fully automatically on scheduled time.

Nevertheless, as HP Gen 8 and Synology are both online at time of backup (connected to the power net with danger of hit by lightning), it is no bad idea in addition to use also "USB-Backup" on an external USB drive. For example once a month manually.

Hi,

"System Information" / "Performance statistics" not working anymore

Pushing "Refresh" I get following message:

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; omv-mkgraph 2>&1': /usr/sbin/omv-mkgraph: 29: [: missing ]

Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; omv-mkgraph 2>&1': /usr/sbin/omv-mkgraph: 29: [: missing ]' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/rrd.inc:65
    Stack trace:#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceRrd->generate(NULL, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('generate', NULL, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Rrd', 'generate', NULL, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

Other options of "System Information" work ok, just "Performance statistics" fails.
    Version 2.2.11 on HP micro Gen8, system flash stick is ok. and all file systems online with enough remaining space.

Any idea how to reset or reactivate this function?
    Thanks in advanced
    erik

zu Punkt 4:
    Sämtliche durchlaufenden Zeilen beim Start findest Du unter /var/log/boot

Ich würde versuchen, den Fehler folgendermassen einzugrenzen:
    In der WebGUI SSH aktivieren, dann mit Putty (gibt es auch für Mac) auf die Kommandozeile gehen (gleiche IP-Adresse wie im Browser. Benutzer 'root', Dein Passwort). Wenn Du mit den Befehen der Kommandozeile nicht klar kommst (so wie ich), mit 'apt-get install mc' den MidnightCommande installieren, danach mit 'mc' starten.

Darin siehst Du, ob Deine Patten unter /media gemountet sind und was in der /var/log/boot - Datei steht. Vielleicht gibt es da ja einen Hinweis, der Dich weiter bringt.
    Mit dem mc hast Du direkten Zugriff auf Deine Daten, unabhängig davon ob Samba-Shares, Freigaben oder ähnliches korrekt gesetzt sind.
    Erik