Beiträge von earthtorob

Okay thanks. I see I'm not the only one having an issue. That makes me feel better. You kind of went out of your way to look it up too. That is very cool.

Just to ask one stupid question....Is there any way to set up a folder and have everything that is added to it be owned by one person and rwx by anyone?

In the share I have everyone r/w. But that doesn't effect the file permissions.

This is just confusing. I've searched for a primer on all this but couldn't get my head around it. Maybe I'm getting old.

"I still don’t get what do you do as root to own files. Though everything is handled via emby or the windows software."

I record a Tv show. For instance "Friends". I record it for a couple years and eventually I will have every episode. Once I have them all I no longer need to record them. So I will move them to an "Archive" drive. So occasionally I manipulate the files through ssh as root. When I do (I assume) root becomes the new owner. I could move things around through SMB share but I'd prefer to have as few of them an I can get away with.

Emby is cross-platform. I doubt they will ever have any file permission setting. I think they assume access to all files. On the Debian distribution they create an emby user and emby group. I think it's up to the user to make sure that user and group have access to files and folders.

"Samba option in share “enable permission inheritance”, don’t bother with acl. After that try create a file a folder through windows and check that file is no 664 or folder 775."

Ok, done. I copied a folder over from the windows box through the SMB share. It is owned by Robert. Emby scanned the folder and created .nfo files which it owns. I have a duplicate video file (owned by Robert) so I went in through the emby app and removed it.

So Emby successfully deleted a file owned by Robert. Which is good. So I guess everything is okay. Ugly, but okay.

Yes, the Windows box monitors a SMB share.

I SSH in a root (yes I know it's a bad idea but if I didn't then I'd just sudo anyway) so the directories are owned by root. Emby will create files in the directory which are then owned by the emby user/group. And the windows box access the share with the user name "Robert". So the video file will be owned by "Robert".

I figure using "inherent permissions" would be the answer, but I don't understand the difference between the permission and the ACL. Or the appropriate way to set them up for shares.

The active file synchronization sounds interesting. I don't know if I want to use Docker though. Does it have high CPU/Memory requirements?

I like to have my server "low power" because of it's 24/7 nature. I've just upgraded though so I have 4 cores and 16 Gig Ram. Thats actually HUGE compared to what I've run in the past.

If Docker doesn't use a lot of resources then I'm all for trying it.

With active file synchronization I would always have a local copy of the files i want access to, so my speed would be quick. And my updates would be passed to the server share so I would then have access from other machines later. Are there any drawbacks that I should know about?

Oh, I almost forgot. If I delete a file on a local machine, will the deletion propagate? I don't want to have to delete something 4 times to get rid of it.

I know file permissions is always a difficult subject. I've tried to figure this out on my own but I'm getting confused.

I've had a windows system running for quite some time and I'm migrating over to OMV. On my OMV box I've installed Emby. I use Emby to record Tv shows. After the show is recorded, my Windows Box grabs the show and converts it to .MKV while it removed commercials. Then the windows box renames the file and passes it to the OMV box along with an info file to help identify the file. Once in the OMV box, Emby adds the file to it's library and downloads extra metadata.

What I end up with is directories containing files owned by root, Robert and Emby. And I'm having trouble getting all "users" to be able to read and write to all files.

Up to now I've been using chown and chmod to correct the issue. But I record new shows every day and I can't continue to find and correct these errors.

So how do I set up my shares to make all these files available to everyone, all the time?

I use 3 PC's and sometimes a laptop. I'd like to access My Documents from all three.

I've considered setting up a shared folder on OMV and pointing "My Documents" to it on all my PC's. But my access times would be slow on large files.

I've considered running a rsync to the shared folder, but the PC's aren't on 24/7.

I've considered using a torrent app like synthing. Which would be nice because my OMV doesn't need to be running.

I'm just not sure how to set this up. I'd like to be able to download some photos on one PC and later be able to access the photo on another PC later.

How do you guys store and access your files on OMV?

I didn't see a feature request section, so I'll just put one here.

In the scheduled jobs section, it would be nice if there was an "on demand" option. Or a separate section where commands could be stored and executed with a click.

I tried Plex years ago because it was build from XBMC and I had a lot of exp with that. But I switched to Emby because Plex had monthly fees. Of course now Emby does too. :)

What does Plex have over Emby? Since leaving XBMC I'm pretty open to trying new stuff.

Thanks a lot.

I'm using OMV to manage files for Emby. Since Emby handle delivery of all my media I didn't want to go to all the trouble of setting up shares and access rights if I didn't need to.

That saves me a lot of trouble.

100 views and no answer?

I'm sure this isn't a difficult question. It seems very basic.

Are "shared folders" just for network access? Can/should I ignore "shared folders" if I never plan to access OMV through SMB/CIFS? Or is it best practice to make shares for internal access?

It's all good now. Through no effort of my own.

So, I booted up with no data drives and logged in through the web interface and let it run a bit to do whatever it might need to do. Then I installed the "good" card and added drives. Everything was fine, I decided to see what would happen if I installed the "bad" card. And now my system boots properly but that new card still took drives sda and sdb. My boot drive is now on sdc. So my guess was correct. And donh was also correct that fstab should use the uuid for my boot drive. I looked at fstab and this is what it had done:

# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=2fb896f5-875a-4090-817b-254d9a8c79c1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=c885a499-ebe2-4b5d-ba00-3677c1e9cd98 none swap sw 0 0

So all is good now. But I still wonder why my system would pick the add-on card as it's first device when scanning the available sata ports. At least thats what I think is going on. Maybe I'll check the manual. Does anybody else notice add-on cards taking priority?

It boots. It boots to Busybox after it says it can't find mount points.

Thats what I'm curious about. When I slide in this one card, my system boots half way and then can't find directories on the boot drive.

I'm moving to OMV (tried it once years ago) and I'm wondering if I should share my folders. Right now I'm running Emby on OMV and Emby has access to /srv/dev-disk-by-label so I point it there to access the files. So do I really need to share a folder out? Couldn't I just use that folder? Is the sharing just for SMB/CIFS connections?

I've done a couple fresh installs before I figured out the problem. Now that I know the problem I don't know what to do about it.

After installing on SSDD (sda1) and re-boot, my system tries to find the boot files on my data drives.

It starts to boot fine but when it tries to create mount point at the end of the boot it says the directories can't be found on sda1.

So, when I have one sata card installed the system boots fine. When I install a different card my system won't boot because it can't find directories on sda1. I think that second sata card somehow gets in line first for allocating drives when OMV starts labeling them with sda1, sdb1, sdc1....

So obviously I just stop using that card. But am I correct in what's happening? And if I am then how can I fix it in case I need to use an add-on sata controller?

I looked all over for a thread with my problem and I couldn't find it. Which is really odd because I would have figured that somebody would have had the same problem at one point.

Anyway, I can't seem to get OMV to browse my network. I installed the Emby plug-in and tried to get it to scan a windows share on another box and Emby on OMV can't see the network at all.

So I looked at the OMV setting and I don't see anything that looks out of place. All of my Samba shares are accessible from my windows box and Openelec boxes but OMV can't access any shares from anything other than it's self.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.