Beiträge von Bigo2

Hi WastlJ - I've installed eXtplorer to see what it does...
    Attached here is a picture from the eXtplorer showing the folders which were created on one of my volumes- dev/sdc1 - I don't know why there is a different volume name in the eXtplorer as compared with the OMV.
    Since the PhotoRec is asking where to put the files, before going to the PhotoRec I created a folder called Media on dev/sdc1, which I then specified in the PhotoRec Destination.
    However, since I was trying to recover ALL files, I believe that the folder I specified became full quickly and then I think the PhotRec started creating more "Media" folders (as you can see on the picture). There is altogether 1756 folders each containing about 500 recovered files...
    I can share these folders but there si 1756 of them and that's my problem - I only now how to do it one-by-one in the OMV Access Rights Management - Shared Folders + Add.

Thanks for your help WastlJ

Regards - George

Hi WasstlJ, reycoaaron or anybody else - I was able to recover what I needed. At the beginning my mistake was trying to recover all files. Later on I realized that I need to configure the PhotoRec to recover only the files I'm looking for (e.g. mkv) and then it all became quite simple.

However, the first recovery attempt, when I tried to recover everything, created almost 2000 folders on the volume I specified. Now I would like to remove them but the only way I know how to do it is first to enable them using the OMV Access Rights Management and then deleting them. But it would take a lot of time to enable every single folder...

So please, is there any simple way how to get rid of them?

One more question: there is this extplorer plugin for OMV– does it work?

Sorry guys I apologise for editing my post. I had to edit that post because I realized that I was wrong with the size of the drive I was referring to. I did not know that you are already answering it. My mistake.

Hi, thanks for your answer. It's only me who can add anything in the NAS, and I will make sure that I don't put anything on that volume, until I am happy with the recovery. Actually most of the files, like family pictures, my music etc. are on my back up drives, so I only need to find some music videos which I did not back up.

So again thanks WastlJ for your help!

WastlJ, the PhotoRec created hundreds of folders with perhaps thousands of files... I don't think I will have time to access and check them...

So I thought that I will to try Extundelate to see how that one works. But there is nothing in the Source - I can't "Select a drive". Actually when I click the Source for the first time something written flashes there, but too fast to read it... Is there any solution to it? Any update?

Thank you WastlJ, I did not know I need to install the OMV-extras... So I did install it, then I installed the backup plugin and as you said "there is not much what I can do wrong there".
    So now the Photorec is running for about 13 hours - it is a 4Tib HD after all!

Thank you again this for openmediavault-backup plugin - it seems to be very useful!

Hi WastlJ- thank you for your answer.

I don't know how to download the "openmediavault-backup" plugin. There is only "openmediavault-usbbackup" which I dwnloaded and installed but I can't see any Photorec...

Hi, I made a mistake and deleted all files on one of the volumes - which is a new HD there was nothing else there. The directory is called Media and I wanted to copy all subfolders to a different volume using rsync. So first in the media directory I created a subfolder called NEW and moved all the other subfolders there. Later on playing with the rsync (I'm not always 100% sure with it) I made that mistake and deleted this NEW folder.
    I have to admit that I'm quite dumb as far as the LINUX file system is concerned...
    Can you please help me to recover the files. Or perhaps could I take the drive to my windows PC and recover it the there?

It Works!!!
    I created the share for sdb1 as you suggested, and than I was able to rename the Movies Foreign folder to Movies_Foreign. Then the Rsync started to work as well and I could use it for moving the Subfolders...
    So, the problem was the space in the folder name I created.
    I'm not sure how it is with the ssh, I have no idea how it works through the OMV. When I click it, there is this General settings (Enable, Port, Permit root login etc.)... and I don't know what else should happen.
    I access the OMV as the admin - when I click the ssh there in Services, it is the admin who is clicking it not the user, so I am wondering, did you mean that I need to put admin in the ssh group to access ssh?
    Is there any guide concerning using the ssh from OMV?
    Thank you subzero79 for you help!

But there is no folder above that, it is /dev/sdb1/MoviesForeign.
    In the Shared Folders it is like this:
    Name___________Volume_________Path__________Comment________Referenced
    MoviesForeign___/dev/sdb1_______Movies Foreign_________________Yes

I have SSH enabled. I did not know that the login is "user"

I don't know how to log into ssh...

I installed the winscp but so far was unable to make it working. I can see the folder I would like to rename but when I try it to do it I would get the following message:
    Error renaming file 'MoviesForeign' to 'MoviesFor'.
    Reaname /MoviesFor: Is a directory
    I tried other folders I made just to try to rename - it's the same story...

I don't understand what you mean with "if omv has a shared folder as refernece..."

Hi, I am not very good with LINUX, but I am learning... However, I have a problem with renaming a Folder.
    On my /dev/sdb/ I craeted a Folder called "Movies Foreign". To that folder I copied many subfolders containig movies form my windows PC. Then I decided, that I would like to organise these subfolders differently, created another Folder on /dev/sdd/ which I called "MoviesAlreadySeen" and tried to move some of them. Of course, moving them from my windows explorer is possible, but it's a very slow process since moving subfolders by means of windows explorer they have to go over the network. So I invetigated how to move them directly on the NAS and learnt about the Rsinc.
    I installed the plugin and tried to use it, but it does not work, giving me the following message: rsync: link_stat "/media/31bb010e-856a-4b46-ae53-a96cd8cadcbc/Movies" failed: No such file or directory (2) -467e-ba34-a120b6fa6914/MoviesAlreadySeen/> ...
    After some investigation I believe that the problem is due to the the space in the name of the Folder "Movies Foreign". I tested this creating another folders, named without spaces and the tried to use the Rsinc - and the moving worked OK...
    Could you please someone help me with this? I would like to rename that "Movies Foreign" folder to some other correct name. Also I don't want to loose my movies subfolders during that process...

Thanks for your advice, I am going to investigate that WinSCP option.

However, from the top people of the OMV, I would likto know why there is this Extplorer plugin available, if it is not working as it suppose to, why don't they remove it from the list of plugins and warn people against it?
    And why is this plugin left unfinished? Why, once it was decided to present this plugin to the public, the work on it does not continue until it is perfect?

Hi, recently I purchase the HP Proliant MicroServer N54L and decided to use OMV OS.
    I had some problems with the installation but ryecoaaron helped me and then it was OK. I am a newbie as far as the LINUX is concerned, and the biggest problem for me is the file system, so when I realised that there is this etxplorer pluggin, I thought that's exactly what I need.
    However, it behaves strangely, so far I couldn't do anything at all.
    I logon as admin and then I go to media where I am trying to rename a folder MoviesForeign which I created before. In a little window "Rename a directory or file" the extplorer asks for a New Name. So I put MoviesForeign1 there, click Save and then ther is this message: Could not rename /media/31bb010e-856a-4b46-ae53-a96cd8cadcbc/MoviesForeign to MoviesForeign1
    It doesn't say why, so that's the end of game for me...
    OK, so I will delete it! Click the X delete, and then it asks me: "Are you sure you want to delete these 1 item(s)?" I click Yes and a popup window says "Success Items successfuly deleted". That's good, but three is a little problem - nothing is deleted, the folder is still there. I can delete this directory perhaps 100tims, always constant Success. I also tried individual files - Success..., but they are all still there.
    Please help me I need this extplorer.

It is unbelievable, but there is no information concerning the D-Link DGS-1008A 8-Port Gigabit Switch which would explain what the LED colours mean, I checked the manual and other all pamphlets - nothing!
    However, other D-Link models, like e.g. DGS-1008D, do explain the relation between the LED colour and the speed of the connected device: 1000Mbps/Green; 100Mbps/Amber, so I presume that it is the same with the model I purchased.
    So, according to the lights on the switch, the PC and the HP laptop are doing 100Mbp and the NAS is doing what I want - 1000Mbps.
    My PC: Checking Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center - Local Area Connection - Local Area Connection Status - Speed: 100.0 Mbps
    Also checking the Control panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Networking -> Connect using: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller -> Configure -> Advanced -> Speed & Duplex: Auto Negotiation (other possibilities are 100Mbps/Full Duplex or Half Duplex and 10Mbps/Full Duplex or Half Duplex).
    That confirms what I already know from the switch amber indicator related to the PC (100Mbp). Also the Windows Explorer confirms that when showing about 10-11 MB/second during copying over the wired network (I am not interested in WiFi which I believe is not good for our health...)
    So, now I am looking for more information how I can improve my PC and I thought that apart from googling you guys are the experts, who know immediately what's wrong with me :)

Hi ryecoaaron

I have found and installed the omv-extras and installed the backports 3.16 kernel as you described
    I also bought a D-Link 8 port Gigabite switch, connected my PC, my HP laptop and the NAS to it and connected the uplink to my router - everything works fine but the speed did not improve, when transferring files from PC/laptop to the NAS using Windows Explorer it shows approx. 10-11 MB/second.
    Cables between the the switch and the PC/laptop are less then 10m, the NAS is about 3m
    The indicator LED on the Gigabite switch for NAS is green and for the PC/laptop they are yellow
    My PC uses Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Gigabit/Fast Ethernet Controller, and I have updated the driver...
    So what now?