Beiträge von Pariclas

Hello all,

I was enable to identify the issue.

iotop showed the smb daemon consuming 100% io for a very short time. This occurs randomly and always happens when my videos freeze.

Since I'm not to keen on troubleshooting smb I now use Plex. Plex also allows you to serve the untranscoded video files to clients. Using Plex everything works fine.

Still seems very strange to me that this particular disk has issues with smb (io), and my other disks don't. If you happen to know the explanation, please let me know.

Grtz,

Pariclas

Hello mi-hol,

Issue isn't fixed using hd-idle..

I attached the system report to this post as you asked for.

To summarize all things I tested:

- No client issue because all SMB connected devices are facing this issue.

- checked for network congestion

- checked TOP when freezing -> NAS is basically idle

- ran SMART tests -> all passed. (drive is brand new)

- tried other SATA cables and SATA ports

- fsck /dev/sdc1 and badblocks

- hd-idle utility to keep disk active constantly

Grtz

Pariclas

mi-hol,

I know what you're getting at, but I consulted the product page and it clearly states that APM is not supported. I might try looking for a newer firmware. Using this workaround is good enough for me personally since I dont use my NAS too often. It's shut down most of the time.

Users looking for heavy duty disks probably will stay away from a 80 euro 4TB disk anyway.

I changed the subject :)

Still got some more testing to do first, to verify it works 100%

Hi guys,

I think I resolved the issue. I used the hd-idle tool to force the drive to never spin down and remain active constantly. (https://github.com/adelolmo/hd-idle) The program automatically runs at startup and keeps the drive awake. A 30 min playback worked perfectly.

If the issue occurs again I will upload all details of my installation.

Off topic: SMR seems to almost completely affect write performance, not read performance like in my case)

Greetz and thanks for your help so far,

Pariclas

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

The problem only occurs when accessing files from this new drive. Mediafiles on other drives in this NAS work fine.

IMO this rules out NIC's, switches and my firewall/router.

The disk is a Seagate 4TB ST4000DM004, purshased in december 2020. I already looked into some fora for more info on this particular drive type and model.

Apparently it has aggresive spin down timers and power saving settings. At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to force the disk to be in 'active state' the whole time, instead of entering an idle or sleep mode. It doesn't help this drive does NOT support APM, which rules out hdparm or sdparm to tweak power disk settings.

However I'm not sure these power related settings are actually causing my problem . But.. at this time the drive settings seem to be the only possible reason for the issue I'm facing.

Do you guys agree?

Greetings,

Pariclas

Hi all,

I recently added a brand new HDD to my NAS to store all media files. Client access these media files via SMB and the clients decode the files themselfs. (no transcoding on NAS)

When playing these video's randomly the video freezes for 1-5sec before continuing. I've checked the following:

- No client issue because all SMB connected devices are facing this issue.

- checked for network congestion

- checked TOP when freezing -> NAS is basicaly idle

- ran SMART tests -> all passed. (drive is brand new)

- tried other SATA cables and SATA ports

- # fsck /dev/sdc1

fsck from util-linux 2.29.2

e2fsck 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)

Media: clean, 3089/244195328 files, 520796728/976754385 blocks

The general config file/report is included in the attachment. The new disk is /dev/sdc1

Any ideas?

Much appreciated!

Pariclas

Hello guys,

Today I installed Plex server, configured it and tested functionality (all went well). After a reboot the Plex service no longer wants to run.

I already checked resources: my CPU hovers around 5% and the device still has over 3GB RAM available.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pariclas

Hi ryecoaaron,

thanks for tip , will try this tonight.

Are you sure this could be browser based?
    As far as I can see the errors look OMV related, no?
    I did some research. Array and PHP errors seem to be a known issue

Will keep you posted.

Hi all,

I deleted my OMV 2.0 because it was all messed up and started over. I did a clean install from a bootable USB onto my NAS SSD. I tried both OMV 3.x and 4.x but keep bumping into the same error on both versions.
    I cant make any changes in the web gui and get loads of errors. Please see attachments.

Already mounted the SSD in my windows PC and completely wiped volumes / partitions and formated the drive.

What do you guys think?

Regards
    pariclas

Hi all

Thanks for the input. Software raid. No ZFS was ever used on those disks.
    i will try reinstalling OMV tomorrow as advised and unmount the RAID first.

I any case when OMV wouldn't be able to detect the RAID afterwards. The disks should be readable by any Debian/linux distro , correct?

I was indeed trying to do 2 - 3 - 4. Mainly because I couldnt get CUPS (and some other plugins) working on Stoneburner.
    So your advice would be to do a fresh install?

I only have 1 concern. Will the new install detect my RAID1 setup out of the box?

Thanks in advance

Hello

Today I was planning on upgrading from Stonburner to the latest version. I noticed none of the repositories could be reached.
    A quick test showed DNS not working at all. Ping to google.com fails while a ping to the IP 8.8.8.8 works fine.

I manually added my routers IP and 8.8.8.8 as DNS servers for my system.
    Secondly both the /etc/ifconfig/interfaces and etc/resolv.conf files are completely empty.

Any suggestions?

Regards
    Pariclas

Hi all

My Samba is no longer working. Nothing changed on the device except for the IP address. Previously it was 192.168.1.2, and now it's 192.168.0.3.
    I'm not able to access the shares with my Win10 machines.
    Getting the following error when trying to shut down the smb service:

"Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; update-rc.d 'samba' disable 2>&1': update-rc.d: error: samba Default-Start contains no runlevels, aborting. update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing

Error #4000:exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; update-rc.d 'samba' disable 2>&1': update-rc.d: error: samba Default-Start contains no runlevels, aborting.update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc:90Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(56): OMVSysVInitScript->update(true)#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/samba.inc(64): OMVSysVInitScript->exec()#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(164): OMVModuleSamba->stopService()#3 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)#7 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)#10 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)#11 {main}"

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Regards
    Alexander

Hi

the IP range I defined in autoshutdown is 192.168.1.3..63.
    But my OMV doesn't shutdown when there are no IP's in the selected range, instead it detects a 192.168.1.64 address.
    Isn't the script supposed to ignore this address?

Pariclas

I followed this guide to configure my firewall Example of OMV's firewall. I already added exceptions for SSH, HTTP and Samba, thats about everything I use.

tekkb says to make a final rule rejecting all other incoming traffic.

Now the question is: should I allow incoming traffic on port 943 (tco) and 1194 (udp) in order to keep my VPN running? Or is it only outgoing?

Regards
    Pariclas