[Resolved] Identical systems sharing the same USB HDD image

• As my user name may suggest I am not Linux savvy.
    I have two identical headless HP T5720 systems with the same LAN setup.
    One T5720 is local the other T5720 is 1200 miles away. The systems do not communicate with each other.
    I want to be able to deploy and manage a single Openmediavault v 0.4.6 USB HDD image with the same static IP address for both systems.
    The T5720 Openmediavault was originally installed on boots properly.
    The clone T5720 will boot without apparent errors but will not connect to the LAN.
    The purpose for the single HDD image is for me to be able to maintain and update the OMV installation on the local T5720 and then send a clone USB HDD to the remote T5720.

Is there some kind of work around for the LAN issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't work right because the mac address on the second system is different and linux thinks it is a different adapter. So, it becomes eth1 instead of eth0. There might be a way to tell it to use eth0 regardless of the mac address.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank You for the advice
    This may not be elegant but it seems to work
    Since both HP T5720 are identical but have different HW MAC addresses and will be on seperate LANs
    For remote support I do the following:
    1. Clone the "Local" T5720 USB HDD to the "Remote" T5720 USB HDD
    2. Boot the "Local" T5720 using the "Remote" USB HDD
    3. Edit file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to change eth0 HW Mac address to the "Remote" T5720 HW MAC address
    4. Shutdown the "Local" T5720 and remove the "Remote" T5720 USB HDD
    5. Install the "Remote" USB HDD in the "Remote" T5720
    6. The "Remote" T5720 boots normally and connections to the console and admin work properly

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!