Migrating to OMV

• Hi all, looks like the new forum could use a little more content, so I thought I'd tell my story.

I'm new to OMV and will be migrating as soon as I can from FreeNAS. There's a good reason for that that I'll get to in a minute.

My story starts with a Synology box that I had way back when. It was a nice little product that just worked, but eventually I decided I wanted to extend it a little and run things like Java for doing small development projects at home. So, I built a low power home server based on an i5-2390t, 16GB RAM, IBM BR10i SATA controller, and a nice little Intel motherboard. It currently runs ESXi 5 with FreeNAS, Windows, and Ubuntu guests.

Generally speaking, FreeNAS has worked well, but there are a few things that are starting to bother me about it:
    * Performance has never been that great - I see maybe 40MB/sec at best
    * No built-in support for transmission or minidlna and the plugin mechanism is totally over-engineered
    * Running those services in a separate Ubuntu VM leads to other headaches around permissions and inotify over NFS, etc.
    * Upgrading from 8.2 beta 3 to 8.2 release led to stability problems, with crashes every few minutes
    * Periodically, I get the dreaded "interrupt storm detected on irq18" problem - disabling all devices in the vmware BIOS used to fix it, but not any more - limping along with only 1 core at the moment to get it to work

After spending several hours tinkering with it last night, I decided it's time to try something different. Granted, I have a fairly complex setup and it's not surprising that it needs some TLC, but it would be nice to find something that just works. Based on what I've seen, OMV seems to be a good and simple solution for a home server with the possibility of better performance and stability in my environment. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!