Raid 5 - Expanding storage

• Hi,

I'm planning to build my own NAS and my main requirement is to be able to use mixed sized disks to build a starting RAID and then when I buy bigger disks, I simply upgrade the smallest one and voila! I have bigger array :)

Drobo and Netgear's ReadyNAS currently have this feature in their product.

I'm currently experimenting with OMV in a VM environment to see whether it can do the same. I've installed OMV in a VM environment and I'm having trouble replicating this feature.
    What I have
    Disk A : 8GB
    Disk B : 15GB
    Disk C : 15GB

According to http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raid-estimator.htm I should be getting 16GB which is correct. I removed the 8GB and create an 10GB drive, so my new setup is below,
    Disk A : 10GB
    Disk B : 15GB
    Disk C : 15GB

I've tried couple of combination but I simply cannot grow the RAID. This are the steps that I have done
    1st attempt:
    1.) Recover raid with the new disk
    2.) Click Grow form web GUI - nothing happened
    2nd attempt:
    1.) Added 4th disk
    2.) Click Grow form web GUI
    3.) Remove 4th disk and added the new disk A which is 10GB.
    4.) Tried to rebuild array with 3 disks. Not successful - I have issues.

I've very little knowledge with Linux so after those attempts, I hit the wall and couldn't progress. What I have done wrong?

According to the calculator with those combination I should be getting 20GB..

Cheers..
    BC

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!