Looking for instructions for file transfer between remote windows pc and local hp microsever gen 8 with omv

• Hi,

I'm not a network expert whatsoever, maybe what I'm planning is trivial, but I couldn't find much to solve my task.

I moved to a different country some weeks ago and still have a Windows 7 machine in germany running with plenty of data on it. What I want to do now is to open a connection to this Windows machine (or vice versa) and download 3 TB of files.(I dont need a network or anything after the files have been transfered=

What I have:

- a working Team Viewer Connection between the Windows PC in germany and my laptop here.
    - a myfritz account and a connection to the fritz box in germany (in case that's needed)
    - a hp proliant microsever gen8 with omv running here.
    - low/mediocre unix knowledge
    Ideally, I want to schedule the data transfers and let them only run at certain times, but thats secondary. Would be nice if I could "browse" the data and decide which data I want to copy into certain folders of my omv microsever here.

Can somebody please guide me through this or give me a link to a resource where everything is explained.

Thank you in advance

- Philipp

• The main issue is to get a secure network connection between the two sites.
    Is yor gen8 accessible from the internet directly (public IP)?

I would set up an openvpn tunnel between the two machinesand copy via normal network cifs shares.
    The direction depends, where you can open up the firewall easiest.

The fritzboxcando this easily, but that requires a not socommon openvpn setup:
    - Install openvpn on your windows machine as server tutorials are available on the internet (http://www.andysblog.de/openvp…-unter-windows-einrichten)
    - open up the required shares on windows
    - open up port 1194 on your fritzbox in germany and direct it to the windows machine
    - install the openvpn client on the gen8 and start the connection
    - now use the remote shares plugin to mount the windows shares into om

copy whatever is needed.

If you can open up a etworkconnection on the gen8 side it is much easier.
    - use omv openvpn plugin to install openvpn server on omv
    - install openvpn client on your windows machkne.
    - via teamviewer mount an omv share
    - copy

Depending on the uplink speed of you dsl connection tranfsfering 3GB can take ages.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!