Losing drive connection when running a backup from Windows

• I have been testing Windows backup software and when I try and backup to an OpenMediaVaultServer, I keep getting a disconnected drive. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

The backup will run for a while and then I am not able to connect to the drive via. When the disconnect happens, I get an email with the following:

SUbject: monit alert -- Does not exist fs_media_0a8f2911-816d-4153-bcdc-ebca6d68f69d [barney.fcjc.net]

Does not exist Service fs_media_0a8f2911-816d-4153-bcdc-ebca6d68f69d

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 20:57:12
    Action: restart
    Host: barney.fcjc.net
    Description: filesystem doesn't exist

Your faithful employee,
    Monit

The only way to get access back is to reboot the OpenMediaVault server.

I have five drives in the server. I am using mergerfs and snapraid. The drives are setup as follows:

/dev/sda - The boot disk with OpenMediaVault Version 2.2.5. The kernel is Linux barney 3.2.0-4-amd6.
    /dev/sdb - 3TB. Parity disk.
    /dev/sdc - 3TB. Data disk.
    /dev/sdd - 1TB. Data disk.
    /dev/sde - 1TB. Data disk.

The mergerfs is set to use the last three disks and I think this is what is getting disconnected.

If there is other information that would help or if someone has an idea on how to solve the problem, that would be great.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are they usb drives? What kind of hardware? I would probably install the backports kernel (button to do that in omv-extras).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• >Are they USB drives?
    >
    The drives are a combination of Western Digital and Seagate hard drives. The second and third drives are 4TB and not 3TB.

>What kind of hardware?
    >
    The motherboard is a Supermicro X8DTL-iF. It has dual processors and 16GB of ECC memory. The drives are connected to the SATA ports of the motherboard.

>I would probably install the backports kernel (button to do that in omv-extras).

>

I thought I had done that but I'll take a look again this evening.

On the mergerfs web site, I found this:

"mergerfs or libfuse crashing

If suddenly the mergerfs mount point disappears and Transport endpoint is not connected is returned when attempting to perform actions within the mount directory and the version of libfuse (use mergerfs -v to find the version) is older than 2.9.4 its likely due to a bug in libfuse. Affected versions of libfuse can be found in Debian Wheezy, Ubuntu Precise and others.

In order to fix this please install newer versions of libfuse. If using a Debian based distro (Debian,Ubuntu,Mint) you can likely just install newer versions of libfuse and fuse from the repo of a newer release."

This is the closest that I have seen to what may be happening. I need to see what version of mergerfs is installed.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are probably using fuse 2.9.0. The 3.2 kernel is the standard kernel. You want the 3.16 kernel. Once you install it using omv-extras, it will enable the omv-extras backports repo which has a newer version that should show up in your Updates tab to install. Both of those should fix your issue.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Updated to the 3.16 kernel and the associated packages. I'll start with some backups and see what happens.

I'll post a followup once I know if things worked or not.

Thank you for the help.

Frank Hahn

• Well, I made several complete backups and several other sync jobs last night and so far, everything still continues to work. I'm optimistic that upgrading the kernel to 3.26 plus the associated upgrades has fixed the issue.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was probably the fuse upgrade that fixed everything.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!