booting from USB stick

• Hi
    I'm a perfect n00b/newbie concerning Linux in general and OpenMediaVault particularly. My home-made NAS (6x2TB) was formerly driven by a Windows 2008 Storage Server... too "big" for my needs and my mobo (ITX Asus Mobo with Intel Atom 330, 4 GB ram). Long time ago, I used to play with FreeNas, but I think I would feel more confortable with a debian distro. I'm definitely not a BSD pundit :-/

That's why I chose OMV.

I read in the wiki section that booting on a USB stick was not recommanded. But this option would be really usefull for me, for many reasons (gain of one drive rack, shorter boot time and so on). Is there any way to "backup" a running image of this booting OMV USB key to avoid any problem due to a crash or bad stick reliability ? Does a booting USB key cause some limitation to OMV features (other than the number of write cycle a flash memory can handle ?)

Tanks
    Mark

A good working kernel is not supposed to crash unless it says "please"

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would use a usb hard drive then...

Clonezilla will backup the image but not while it is running. There is a write minimization script here (haven't tested myself) but I still wouldn't use a usb stick. It doesn't limit the features until it crashes :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Many Tnks for this prompt answer

That's precisely because I wish to avoid crash that I want to duplicate this booting USB stick. A 2 gigs key cost less than an floppy and could be replaced in a snap. I did'nt intend to duplicate the key while the system is up. I'll try Clonezilla and will duplicate 3 or 4 "usb boot ammo's". Thanks for the tip.

Booting on a USB hard drive is not an option... it's probably the worst configuration to boot quickly :- (

Anyway, all this stuff is still science-fiction for me right now. My version of OMV don't seems to boot on any kind of media after 5 o 6 attempt (hard drive or USB key). I think the problem is caused by Grub. Still a lot of work to desserve it ;)

Mark

• Hi
    Once again, tnk to ryecoaaron for his wyse advices.

My OMV is up and running (almost... now building it's RAID5 array). And I deeply regret my "usb stick" option, looking at the number of read-write made on the key. Gee, it's definitely NOT the same thing as FreeNAS

... I've to quickly find out how to move my boot flashdrive on a normal plain old good mecanical hard drive. I doubt the answer is "clonezilla/gparted", but a M$ nerd like me will have to struggle with cryptic unix command lines and magic secret switches.
    Hope I'll find a good "how to"

Mark

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually, Clonezilla/gparted is the perfect answer. Clone the stick to the drive and use gparted (or partedmagic) to resize the partitions. I can definitely help with that :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Tnks Agn, ryecoaaron

Hope I'll be able to do that all alone without boring you... it's a matter of honor 8>O
    I'm waiting for the end of my RAID resync and will try it. I just burned 2 usb keys with live versions of Gparted and Clonezilla

TNKX
    Mark

• Hi

Zitat von "zenographie"

Hope I'll be able to do that all alone

... I'm not :-(((

I've cloned (I hope) my usb boot key with Clonezilla, on a hard drive called "sdf1" (sda to sde is my RAID5 array). After changing my bios boot order and unplugged my usb key, all I have is a "GRUB>" prompt.

Grub> boot (hd gives me hd gives me "hd0 hd1 hd2 hd3".
    Grub> boot (hdx mostly answers "not a known filesystem", except hd1 (answer : (hd1) )

device hd0 has a partition called hd0,msdos1 filesystem ext2, and another partition hd0,msdos5, not a known partition.

If I boot from my usb key and have a look at the filesystem admin webpage, my sdf1 is no more recognized as a ext4 hard drive, and all the fields of the spreadsheed are marked "n/a". The drive is considered as "mounted"

.... In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni
    (I'm going around in circles)

Mark

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like hd0 is right. So try:

root (hd0,0)
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
    initrd /initrd.img
    boot

sda might need to be changed. The output from ls might be helpful. Once you have a booting system, we can fix grub permanently.

• Hi Ryecoaaron

impressive. I wish one day I could understand my kernel as you can.

root (hd0,0) send me an insane "unknown command" or whatever... boot (hd0,0) told me that it was unable to find a kernel but the order was accepted.
    my boot disk was /dev/sde.

except some warning and cryptic insults during the boot process, everything run fine. My OMV is up and running TNKS !

What should I do to fix Grub permanently?

Once again, a big Thank You

Zen

• Offizieller Beitrag

As root:

update-grub

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of the following commands as root:

Code
    blkid
    cat /etc/fstab | grep UUID
    cat /boot/grub/grub.conf | grep "/boot"

• root@OMV:~# blkid
    /dev/sdc: UUID="3555bdad-3122-60fd-7496-30392302ef58" LABEL="OMV:Vishnou" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdd: UUID="3555bdad-3122-60fd-7496-30392302ef58" LABEL="OMV:Vishnou" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/md127: LABEL="Media" UUID="ef0232e3-2e93-436c-8479-acb2e7dfb8c3" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda: UUID="3555bdad-3122-60fd-7496-30392302ef58" LABEL="OMV:Vishnou" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdb: UUID="3555bdad-3122-60fd-7496-30392302ef58" LABEL="OMV:Vishnou" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sde1: UUID="5b015bbf-9a1f-4543-9526-e27bdb8847e2" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sde5: UUID="21c80a39-e72b-41a3-bcf7-2f244db66863" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sdf1: LABEL="Quarantine" UUID="3165849d-167a-4755-a325-2acd66606bd3" TYPE="ext4"

root@OMV:~# cat /etc/fstab|grep UUID
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    UUID=5b015bbf-9a1f-4543-9526-e27bdb8847e2 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    UUID=21c80a39-e72b-41a3-bcf7-2f244db66863 none swap sw 0 0
    UUID=ef0232e3-2e93-436c-8479-acb2e7dfb8c3 /media/ef0232e3-2e93-436c-8479-acb2e7dfb8c3 ext4 defaults,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    UUID=f4a7da97-9369-4ad8-87cb-eb013e6c70bb /media/f4a7da97-9369-4ad8-87cb-eb013e6c70bb ext4 defaults,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    UUID=3165849d-167a-4755-a325-2acd66606bd3 /media/3165849d-167a-4755-a325-2acd66606bd3 ext4 defaults,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2

but
    root@OMV:~# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf|grep "/boot"
    cat: /boot/grub/grub.conf: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

which means "unknown file or folder of this type"

Zen

update

Me stupid... grub.conf is in fact grub.cfg. Sorry for this total lack of brain

root@OMV:/boot/grub# cat grub.cfg|grep "/boot"
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-486 root=UUID=5b015bbf-9a1f-4543-9526-e27bdb8847e2 ro quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-486
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-486 root=UUID=5b015bbf-9a1f-4543-9526-e27bdb8847e2 ro single
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-486 root=UUID=e50b203d-78f8-4603-af4f-c90061eaeddc ro quiet
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-486 root=UUID=e50b203d-78f8-4603-af4f-c90061eaeddc ro single

better like that

Zen

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von zenographie ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

What about:

ls -al /boot/grub/gr*

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, the UUIDs are all right. Not sure why update-grub doesn't work. On one of my OMV systems, the boot drive is /dev/sde as well.

You could try as root:

grub-mkconfig /boot/grub/grub.cfg

It will probably give you the same output as update-grub though... Then you could try:

grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sde

Did you make sure the sde drive is the boot drive in the bios as well?

• Same results for both commands :(

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Did you make sure the sde drive is the boot drive in the bios as well?

definitively yes

I should precise it is not the first time I saw this " : File name too long" following several pages of "ÿ" or diamonds . The first one was when I asked clonezilla to move the boot partition from the usb key to the hard drive /dev/sde. The utility tried an "alternative method" without beeing more specific

Zen

ps : re-installing OMV could be an option, but I will never understand the "why" and the "how" of this story

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would say you have two options:

1 - Try re-imaging the usb stick with clonezilla (don't resize until it is working)

2 - Re-install. This is suggested sometimes due to familiarity with Linux

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suppose you also boot systemrescuecd and dd the usb stick image to the hard drive if clonezilla keeps giving you the errors.

• Ok ryecoaaron
    And tnk agn for your help. I'll keep a copy of my openmediavault "config.xml" before that. Anyhow, I'll keep you informed

Zen

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!