Rank Newbie Questions -> OMV on HP N40L

• Hello All,

First time poster with a number of questions relating to OMV install on the HP microserver N40L. I have, of course, read up on the other N40L threads here but still have a few questions that I am hoping forum members can help with.

The goal is to set up a file server with 4 x3TB drives to back up and store family photos and videos and data files. As these are priceless files, maximum security and reliability (with appropriate backups) is a priority. The machine will not be used to stream music or video or as an entertainment media storage centre. Also, we do not need a torrent client or web or email server. We would like to retain the CD ROM drive to load photos or videos from.

Now the questions:

1. Since the N40L only has 5 SATA ports all of which will be occupied by 4 HDs and a CD-ROM, I am thinking of mounting a small, say 8-16GB, PCIe SSD in the internal slot. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced make/model of PCIe SSD that would work as a system drive without wearing out in a short time? It would need to boot up without drivers, I guess. Since, to the best of my knowledge, the N40 slots are not mSATA enabled would something like this drive work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KSD-Mi…rives&hash=item3f224c2e7f

If not, alternative suggestions are welcomed.

2. For maximum stability, even at the expense of slower file reads, which file system is recommended? Coming from the Windows world FAT 32 and NTFS are all I am familiar with.

3. As a follow up to Q2, what RAID configuration, if any, is recommended? Looking at the web, RAID 5 seems susceptible to failure if a second drive fails during array rebuild.

4. Which make and model of 3TB drives have forum members have good experiences with?

Thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. It is very easy to get a 2.5" laptop hard drive under the cd-rom in the top. Just wire it to the internal usb port (using usb to sata adapter) or the sixth sata port (e-sata) on the back of the unit (requires sata power splitter). Unless you are familiar with Linux or install a desktop environment, the cd-rom is going to be difficult to use how you intend. It would be better to copy files from a different computer to the N40L over samba.

2. ext4 is all you need but you can't go wrong with any of the filesystem options in OMV (fat32 and ntfs are not options).

3. Raid 5 is a good option. Raid 6 or Raid 10 allow two drives to fail but you will get half the total capacity with four drives.

4. I prefer WD but the Seagate 3 TB 7200.14 gets better ratings. I would go with a drive that has a 5 year warranty.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• NealS
    Hi,

I'm also for some days a OMV user on a N40L - got it up and working - see my thread about it, bcs I've got
    some small problems you can maybe baypass.

You wrote you read a lot : Did you find these pages, I learned a lot from them :

http://homeservershow.com/foru…oserver-links/#entry35009

especially from

http://homeservershow.com/hp-p…dification-revisited.html

For your project I think it's also of interest to flash your BIOS with the modded one. So you have
    in total 6 SATA full speed ports and the 4 bays are free for TB drives . Also the 4 bays become
    hot plugable .

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would agree on flashing the bios. It worked very well on my N40L.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• 1. Believe it or not, I do not have a spare laptop drive sitting around. The cost of the USb to SATA cable added to a small hard drive will be more than the cost of the PCIe SSD I linked to.

2. Thanks, ext4 it will be then. I assume if I start out with two drives, adding additional drives to boost capacity will be seamless?

3. Since I am not using this machine to stream video or music, do I really need RAID?

4. Thanks. I will check out the 3 TB Seagate. I assume you mean the enterprise drives?

• Thanks for the reply Willri.

Yes, after you posted your message I read your thread on the HP40 install problems. Has it been running well since? Are you now using it for data storage?

I had seen both the links you attached to your message, I find the home server site very useful.

I was not intending to flash the bios but based on your suggestion and the one from ryecoaaron I will do it.

• Enterprise drives are very expensive.

A good choice are too the new WD Red drive series, f.i. WD30EFRX, designed for NAS systems - 24/7 certified.
    Reasonable price and 3 Year warranty.

My OMV runs well , no data storage yet, just playing around.

Had to reinstall it one time, think I made a mistake or it's a bug.

I wanted to delete all files I copied to my data tets drive dev/sdb. I choose the "wipe" button, but bcs I was not
    shure that this is the right way I abborted the operation . From this on I had the problem when booting OMV
    my sdb had "fatal error 8 exitus" and some error messages as a linux newbee I couldn't handle.

To my surprise I could establish a new filesystem on the drive, but coudn't delete the entry of the defect filesystem
    which shows no information. For safty reasons I decided for a new installation .

At the experts: Is this behavior a bug ?

PS: I'v not yet flashed the modded bios, but plan it in the future, bcs I start w just one or two TB drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need raid if your files change very little. You could have a cron script duplicate them to a second or even third drive on regular (hourly, daily, weekly, etc) basis. You definitely don't need enterprise drives. You can't really make a two drive expandable raid. You should have three to start a raid 5 array.

• I have a HP N40L with 8 GB ECC Ram and OMV installed on the 256GB drive. I have no previous experience in setting up a NAS or raid array so advice will be greatly appreciated!

I've received two WD Red WD30EFRX 64MB 3TB disks that I planned to use as storage disks. My current storage needs (photos, videos etc) are less than 1TB, but I also plan to install crashplan to host backups. A few GB will be used for private git repos.

Data safety is prioritize over raw speed. What disk / raid config should I look into?

• Offizieller Beitrag

About the only raid option with redundancy with two disks is a mirror or raid 1. This will run at the same speed as one disk, gives you 3 TB space, and allows one disk to fail with no data loss. If you had three disks, I would recommend raid 5 which would give you a speed boost, gives you 6 TB space, and still allow one disk to fail.

• If data safety is your priority then do not use RAID 5 like most seem to use, i am very suspicious about my data after having already 3 disk failures in one year (yes bad luck, but it does happen) so i use RAID 10, i don't care about the less storage and when you mention 3Tb drives thats plenty of space i use 4 drives in RAID 10.

If you want to protect your data. RAID won't do that. Backup will. It is that simple.

You can find lots of nice articles online about RAID 5 btw one example here:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/stor…aid-5-on-small-arrays/483

• Offizieller Beitrag

Technically, if the right two disks fail in Raid 10, you lose everything. Raid 6 is better in my opinion.

• yep and technically RAID 6 is the same thing as RAID 5 but double the parity of RAID 5, so you can have two disk failures, but.....the algorithm is very intensive and not really suited for the HP N40L, something else if you put a dedicated HW Raid card which does the calculation.

Like i said before not any RAID is full proof, so you need always to have a FULL backup plan.

• Thanks! I plan to use crashplan for daily backup and once a year or so (whenever I remember doing it) copy more important stuff to an external USB disk.

The two 3 TB disks has now been installed but creating a RAID 1 array should have taken 9-10 hours so I aborted the operation as I want to play with the installation before setting it up of for real usage.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!