Can not delete a shared folder ?

• I continue to explore my OMV NAS and face the next problem.

Searched the forum already : "delete shared folders" -- but too many answers ? !

So I tell what I did :

1. I created an user
    2. I aktivated SMB/CIFS
    3. I added a shared folder with read/write privileges and ACL read/write aktivated

Every thing worked fine, I was able to:

4. copy Data form my PC to the shared folder .

5. delete all data in the shared folder.

Now I wanted to know what happens when:

6. I delete the user : From that moment I couldn't acces the NAS frommy PC - that seem to be o.k.

Next I tried to :

7. delete the shared folder : But this option is not allowed . I can't edit and modify it.

I think this is a protection of the data I wrote on the disk - is this correct ?

But as I told I deleted all data before I started with 7. There was no more data in the shared folder.
    Is it neccessary to delete the folder too ? Can not remeber exactly, but I think that wasn't possible.

Next I added a new user. I can add privileges but no ACL now ? Error : .... No so such file or directory .

How can I remove the shared foleder(s) from a data disk ?

THX in advance

• You will not be able to delete a shared folder when a service is using it. Did you make sure that you deleted the SMB/CIFS share. You can have other services possibly using a share. You just need to make sure no service is using the share then you will be able to delete it. In a couple weeks you will get used to everything......

• Sorry nxt problem. I was able to delete the shared folder and started from scratch.

New user, two new shared folders, could set privileges and ACL.

When trying to selct a home user directory --> fault : usermod: User YXZ is already logged in. ( How is a user logged out ? )

And now I can't access the data NAS drive form the PC.

When I check in OVM webgui "Filesystems" the buttons "mount" and unmount" are not operatable ? ?

How can I mount the data drive now ?

How can I log off user YXZ ? Should this be done on the webgui on OMV or on the PC where I logged in ?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "willri"

When trying to selct a home user directory --> fault : usermod: User YXZ is already logged in. ( How is a user logged out ? )

Screenshot? Did you try rebooting?

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't show the mount/unmount because it is in use. To try and duplicate, I did the following:

1. Create filesystem and mounted.
    2. Created share
    3. Went to User settings and checked Enable home directory.
    4. Selected share and clicked ok. Everything worked.

So, maybe you are changing a permission you shouldn't. Trying creating a new share and then enabling home directory. This would be a good time to try your experimentation in a virtual machine (like Tekkbebe uploaded to sourceforge read)

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• At the moment I wanted to mout / unmont there was noc action on the PC. Anyway ,how can I finish the use ?

Why can I not change a permission. I think that should be possible or not.

What do you mean with try and duplicate. Shall I create a new shared folder ?

In the beginning I did the same steps 1 to 4 as you described and it worked for me too.

The probleme here is that the user should be logged out. How is this done ?

Can I have a baremetal OMV and an OMV in a VM simultaniosly on my N40L ?

On the other hand, what happens if I wipe the data disk and start over again ?

• willri, please don't have so many questions under 1 topic. I will answer 1 question here. You can have omv on a bare metal machine and then have the virtualbox plugin with more omv virtual machines. Please create new topic with your questions so people reading them can concentrate on one area of omv. There is a word in english "convoluted" and this is what you are doing in this topic.

• I continue here bcs. otherwise I had to open a new thread with the same question. I was confused bcs there
    are Shared folders in SMB/CIFS and UARM ( user access right management )

To get a clean data disk I :

- deactivated SMB/CIFS service, deleted the only share and deactivated the "home directories" there
    - deleted the only user, I reboot OMV

but I can not delete the shared folder in UARM. OMV says : used - yes

My question: Under which conditions can I erase the Shared Folders in UARM

To me it makes absolutely no sense, that it is deactivated in SMB but I'm not able to do it UARM

• Some other service has to be using the shared folder. Did you enable ftp or anthing else?? Are there contents in the shared folder? Try deleting or moving ant contents too. We used to have things delete autmatically but there have been some discussions on this and I'm not sure what the current procedure is.

• After experimenting for some time I think I found the "fault" ! ? !

Although the "User Home directory" is not enabled it is neccessary to select "none" in the "Location" field.
    If this is done you can delete the shared folder !

If You selct one of the options it is not possible . This is difficult to find out, because when the User Home directory is
    not enabled , I thought the data in the Location field had no influence any more.

Nevertheless I still wonder why it is necessary first to delete the Shared folder in the SMB/CIFS section before it can be
    done in the Access Righr Management section ? ?

I have no knowlegde whether it makes sense to delete the shared folder in the "Access Right Managment" and let
    it unchanged in the SMB/CIFS service ? Maybe someone can explain .

• You still have stuff showing in your SMB/CIFS shares. Music-Files and Pop-Music. It's weird cuz these don't match the shared folders I see. In shared folders in the config.xml I see Music-Files and Country_Music. What shared folder are you trying to delete? I don't see a home directory set for User-R or User-NB. Let me know which shared folder you wee trying to delete??? Did you make one of the shared folders the home directory for the users? If so that probably was the reason it would not let you delete it.

• @tekkbebe

I tried to delete all Shared Folders which was on SMB/CIFS and on ARM, succeed with SMB/CIFFS but failed on ARM ( Access Right Managment ).

Then you asked me to send config file. After I send you the file I think I found the solution as described in post Sa 23. Feb 2013, 22:22
    ( would be nice every posting has a posting number like f i. : #42 ) :)

Now I was able to delete all Shared folders in SMB/CIFS and ARM. Then I checked config file again and now it was clean.

To varify I repeated the whole procedure as follows:

1. Setup a Shared folder in SMB/CIFS : Name -> "Videos"; Shared folder -> "Videos_for_all [on N40LHD1]"
    2. In settings of SMB/CIFS I enabled the service, didn't enable :Enable user home directories.
    3. In the ARM group I found the Shared Folder : Name -> "Videos_for_all" ; Volume -> "N40LHD1" ; Path -> "Videos_on_HD1"
    4. In ARM group I setup a user : "User_on_NB" , in settings I found at Location : "None" and "Videos_for_all [on N40LHD1]", selected 2nd entry,
    didn't enable home directory
    5. Tried to acces the NAS form PC - found net-folder -> "Videos" and there subfolder -> "User_on_NB"
    6. Enabled home directory in SMB/CIFS and in ARM -> User -> Settings -> Location ->"Videos_for_all [on N40LHD1"
    7. Now I see 3 netsharefolders :" homes", "User_on_NB and Videos", Videos has subfolder "User_on_NB"
    8. If I copy a file to homes it appears in 3 places : "homes", netfolder "User_on_NB", netfolder "Videos" -> subfolder "User_on_NB"

That allone ( 8.) is very confusing for me, maybe bcs. of lack of Linux knowledge . ( About that I will ask for in another thread )

9. Deactivate SMB/CIF service, deleted "User_on_NB" , deleted Shared folder in SMB/CIFS,
    10. Tried to delete Shared Folders in ARM - not posiible
    11. SMB/CIFS : disabled "Enable Home User Directory" - try to delete Shared Folders in ARM - not possible
    12. In ARM -> User (there is no user anymore bcs. deleted ! )I choose Settings -> I disabled "User home directory"
    - > try to delete Shared Folders in ARM User - not possible
    13. In Location at ARM -> User -Settings "None" and "Videos_for_all [on N40LHD1" ] is selectable. Last item is displayed / selected
    14. I selected "None".
    15. Now I can delete Shared Folder in ARM : Videos_for_all !

16. config.xml is clean now !

I see my post Sa 23. Feb 2013, 22:22 confirmed.

O.K. now I know how to get a clean disk, but I think it's to complicated and maybe some other users hit the same "trap".

Maybe there is a reason why it should be possible only that way. Can you explain why, or what literature do you recommend for me ?

• I will look at this again later.. But I want to tell you now. You are very new to OMV. With a little more time in working with OMV you will get the hang of it. So do not let the interface get you down. You will get it all in no time.... Learning to understand the config.xml file helps too. The key is just making sure the folder is not used by anything. I had not seen this issue with the user before. I don't understand why you had changed the home directory from none either while the home directory was not enabled. So I guess key lesson is to make sure you don't mess with user home directory folder unless you want it enabled.

TekkB

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!