My sytem keeps killing my WD Reds

• My OMV keeps killing my WD Reds. It seems like the 4th disk within 2 years was just killed.
    I have two data disks and one of these is more or less regularly gone (not always one specific drive). It happened just a few hours ago when I installed a new drive WD just returned to me.

Since I don't think WD reds are that crappy I fear that something else in my system might be wrong/broken. What can it be - motherboard? How can I check this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your title sounds very bad. OMV is not killing the drive. Lots of people have had issues with the 3TB Reds but not the 4tb (I have them too). Do the drives fail completely?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You're right of course, my fault - I changed the title.

Hm, not quite sure about the drives. They still work, I can address them in a live ubuntu e.g. but they show up with strange parameters.
    Maybe you remember this thread I started: Several partitions are suddenly ZFS?! - or system SSD broken???
    Moreover I already had a few threads here concerning WD Reds, this one e.g.: Can WD Red 4TB HDD's be used for a self built Server/NAS or only for "real" NAS (QNAP etc.)?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

You might have mentioned in one of the other threads but have you tried OMV 3.x? Are all of the drives refurbs? Where are you getting them from?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• OMV 3: Not really, only in a Virtualbox for a couple of days. But I'd love to once it's usable... :D
    Refurbs: I think meanwhile yes since I returned my "broken" drives to WD and they've sent me "recertified" harddrives.

The one which disappeared today was the one that was ok the last time. It took maybe 30 minutes until the error reoccured.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd love to once it's usable

It's usable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And would it solve my problem?

No idea. If the drives are failing because of hardware issues. No. Would it fix some driver issues that are causing filesystem corruption? Maybe with the 4.7 backports kernel. Filesystem corruption isn't making the drives physically fail though.

• What makes you think my drives fail physically? In my opinion it sounds more a file system corruption...?

But if it is a hardware problem, what could it be? Motherboard?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

What makes you think my drives fail physically?

The status DRDY errors that were in your screenshots in the other thread. That isn't always the cause though. Usually the click of death is the best warning sign. I can't hear anything from your posts though :D

In my opinion it sounds more a file system corruption...?

It is possible but not common.

But if it is a hardware problem, what could it be? Motherboard?

I would think drivers more than anything. That is why having as new a kernel as possible is helpful. Otherwise, a bad cable, power supply, and/or ram are other options.

• The status DRDY errors that were in your screenshots in the other thread. That isn't always the cause though. Usually the click of death is the best warning sign. I can't hear anything from your posts though :D

Hehe, I searched Youtube and can state that my drives never sounded like that.
    But that was the drive I returned to WD a few days ago.

It is possible but not common.

I would think drivers more than anything. That is why having as new a kernel as possible is helpful. Otherwise, a bad cable, power supply, and/or ram are other options.

Hm, cables were already checked and changed when my first problems occured. Moreover I already switched my drives from one bay to another (it's a 4-bay-case).
    So doing a fresh OMV3 installation might be a reasonable solution... :/

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

So doing a fresh OMV3 installation might be a reasonable solutio

At this point, I can't think of a better option.

• OK, I installed Xubuntu 16.04 as a relatively new OS and changed the drives from bay 1+2 to 3+4 and one keeps disappearing.

I will replace the motherboard now. Does anybody have an idea what can replace my Asus H87I-Plus (hmm, maybe I open a new thread for this).

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Just to keep you informed: I am test-using my drives in a friends OMV who has the exactly same machine as me and everything has been fine so far for about 24h, even the drive that fails in my pc.

So in my opinion the problem can only be caused by the motherboard (as the somehow drive controlling unit) or the case (it provides a hot swap function so maybe the power and/or SATA wiring might be the reason).
    My next step will be attaching the drives directly to the motherboard+power supply and look if it will happen again (yes = motherboard; no = case).

So far my theories... Wish me luck... :D

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Update: Because the drives ran for almost a week in my friend's NAS without a problem I installed them now directly to my motherboard, i.e. bypassing my cases hot swap connections:

Both my drives are still present after almost a week.

So it seems like I have found the problem but I will do another cross check.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Well when I saw this post I was thinking something must be seriously wrong with the hardware you are using.
    That piece of PCB at the back of your hot swap cage is likely to be very, VERY crappy and the power goes into the HDDs is likely to be highly unstable.

In fact I'm surprised by the fact that your WD Reds made it through months... I would expect them to fail within a week of heavy load when used with these boards.

Also a good PSU never costs much but a bad one really hurts.

• Thanks for your reply, zzz09700, it was very helpful!

Well when I saw this post I was thinking something must be seriously wrong with the hardware you are using.That piece of PCB at the back of your hot swap cage is likely to be very, VERY crappy and the power goes into the HDDs is likely to be highly unstable.

What is a PCB?

How do you know that this part is not good? Did you read something about it? And do you have an idea how to solve/bypass that problem?
    Well, I already thought about removing that backplate and keeping my drives permantly connected to the mobo. Hot swap is no MUST in my setup.

I bought two adapters 4pin power -> 15pin Sata (I don't know the correct term) for about 5€ and everything's fine so far ;)

Also a good PSU never costs much but a bad one really hurts.

My PSU is hopefully fine fine, it was a recommendation in a german computer magazine for little serrvers.

Oh, by the way, I'm on 3.0.54 now too! :thumbup:

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is a PCB?

printed circuit board

Cheap hard drive back planes have been known to have unreliable and/or intermittent connections that can cause serious issues with the drives/data.

• And why didn't you tell me earlier?!?! It would have saved me a lot of time and nerves (do you say that in english?) - a LOT!!!

:P:D

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!