CRON-APT mails twice a day about updates

• Hi together,

last week I found the time to complete the configs for mail notifications on my omv installation. Now I'm receiving the following mails twice a day (the first one around 4:00AM and the second around 8:30AM):

CRON-APT completed on servername[/etc/cron-apt/config] [servername.domain]

Whats going on there? Unfortunately I cannot say what I changed before because the Server ran without mail notifications for months now. I just checked for updates once a wheek and in gui everything seems to be fine.

I have 3 questions now:

1) How can I fix this mess?

2) Why do these mails come twice a day? Seems like cron.daily is executed twice?!?

3) Is there a preferred method for autoupdate omv? On Ubuntu Server unattended-upgrades does this job - at least for security related updates.

Thanks for your help. :)

edit: Oh no. I paced this thread into the wrong subsection. 8| Can some mod move it to the right one please? Thank you. :saint:

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - Try the apt clean button in omv-extras. Post output

2 - Other people have reported cron daily running twice. Not sure why. Will have to check my systems.

3 - No. OMV automatically downloads updates daily but doesn't install them. Personally, I like to install them manually but I guess you could put omv-update as the command in a scheduled job if you really "need" to update automatically. It wouldn't reboot for kernel updates though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron,

thanks for this ultra quick response. :)

1 - Try the apt clean button in omv-extras. Post output

Did this. Output is as follows:

anything abnormal? ...

• 2 - Other people have reported cron daily running twice. Not sure why. Will have to check my systems.

This is not so urgent but let us knw what you found out, when you checked this! :)

3 - No. OMV automatically downloads updates daily but doesn't install them. Personally, I like to install them manually but I guess you could put omv-update as the command in a scheduled job if you really "need" to update automatically. It wouldn't reboot for kernel updates though.

I know, that doing all the updates on my own would be better but I'm to lazy to log in that often ... and to be honest: I'm not so deep in linux that I could see in advance that one of the offered updates is going to break my system. The result would probably be the same in both cases. (manual and auto updates) If a faulty update is installed I might end up whith a broken system. But if I do everything manually I have to login nearly every day or the system would be out of date most of the time.

Ah, one question about omv-update:
    What happens if I have one or more virtualbox vms running and omv-update wants to update vertualbox?
    (At this moment I dont't use virtualbox but I plan to have at least one vm running more or less constantly in the future.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

anything abnormal?

Looks fine to me.

But if I do everything manually I have to login nearly every day or the system would be out of date most of the time.

Unless there is a big security fix (like dirty cow or heartbleed), updating your NAS once a month would be fine.

What happens if I have one or more virtualbox vms running and omv-update wants to update vertualbox?

That was a bit of an issue in the past but I haven't used it in a long time. OMV 3.x uses the package from the Debian repo which may update better. Not sure. Having VMs running is an even better reason not to update automatically.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Looks fine to me.

Hmm, what would you do now? I'll report back tomorrow, if there are CRON-APT mails in my account again or not.

Ok, manual updates once a month seem acceptable to me. But do I then have to ignore two nag mails every day, if an update is pending?

I did a bit research and found out, that unattended-upgrades can send you (respectively root) mails, when performing an update. It is able to blacklist packages (such as virtualbox) from beeing auto updated. And you can chose between all and security updates only. This sounds like a very flexible way to handle updates (at least more flexible than a simple omv-update job) And there is a unattended-upgrades package in the debian repos ... Hmmm

Does anything speak against using unattended-upgrades with omv?

But first I have to repair this CRON-APT issue.

Thanks for your help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!