How do I enable remote access to a user?

• Hi all, I'm new to OMV and Linux in general. I'd like to setup a share that is accessible by another user in another country. What is the best way of doing this? Any help or links to resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Hi there,

Nothing sophisticated at all, there is just one other user in another country to whom I'd like to send certain files (temporarily). I figure that knowing how to open remote access and present it in a convenient way would be good to know in general.

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Well, there are several options you can follow:

Without plugins:
    - FTP/SFTP/TFTP: Possibly simples way. Does not provide a fancy UI and will require your user to install a client software on their machine.
    - WebDAV: Another simple way to exchange files.

With plugins (omv-extras):
    - Syncthing: does provide a nice UI and is probably the easiest to set up in OMV-
    - Owncloud: (not recommended because the plugin is HIGHLY outdated) probably overkill for what you want to achieve.

Go ahead and google which of those options suit your need best.

• Well, there are several options you can follow:

Thanks for this. I have installed WebDav and Syncthing.. however, I'm connecting using a static ip on my lan.. 192.168.. etc. I know my WAN IP, but how will my router know that it is my OMV that I want to access? I have read that port forwarding may be required, but it makes no sense to me.. thoughts?

• According to https://syncthing.net/, port forwarding should not be necessary for syncthing:

Simple. Syncthing doesn't need IP addresses or advanced configuration: it just works, over LAN and over the Internet. Every machine is identified by an ID. Just give your ID to your friends, share a folder and watch: UPnP will do if you don't want to port forward or you don't know how.

• Brilliant!

• I finally managed to configure syncthing, ftps, and am in the process of trying to get sftp to work. Syncthing works very well :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!