Unable to wipe drive

• Morning All,

I am following setup instructiosn at http://www.techradar.com/how-t…-raspberry-pi-nas-1315968 and the software installed fine and I am now at the point where I scan for disks and it finds my USB atatched drive and then I select to wipe it and I get the error below:

The drive then disapears from the list of Physical drives and I have to refresh it several tiems for it to find it again.

Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; sgdisk --zap-all '/dev/sda' 2>&1': Problem opening
    /dev/sda
    for reading! Error is
    Problem opening '
    ' for writing! Program will now terminate.
    Warning! MBR not overwritten! Error is
    !' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc:239
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(528): OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusoD...', '/tmp/bgoutputBT...')
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc(267): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->wipe(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('wipe', Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(516): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('DiskMgmt', 'wipe', Array, Array, 1)
    #6 {main}

• Have you unmounted the drive in order to wipe it?

HP N54L Microserver, 20Gb Intel SSD, 4Gb RAM runing OMV 4.X
    HP N54L Microserver 20Gb Intel SSD, 8Gb RAM running OMV 4.X
    and loads of other PC's and NAS... OMV by far the best....
    (P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• When in the GUI and it shows up under filesystems, you can umount it from there - being a USB drive, they sometimes automount. Once the file system is umounted you can then go to the Physical Disks tab and you should be able to wipe it.

(P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• The drive doesnt show up under filesystems unfortunately. jut tried wiping again and I get this:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; sgdisk --zap-all '/dev/sda' 2>&1': Problem opening /dev/sda for reading! Error is 6. Problem opening '' for writing! Program will now terminate. Warning! MBR not overwritten! Error is 2!

Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; sgdisk --zap-all '/dev/sda' 2>&1': Problem opening /dev/sda for reading! Error is 6.
    Problem opening '' for writing! Program will now terminate.
    Warning! MBR not overwritten! Error is 2!' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc:239
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(528): OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->{closure}('/tmp/bgstatus7k...', '/tmp/bgoutputJZ...')
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc(267): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->wipe(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('wipe', Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(516): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('DiskMgmt', 'wipe', Array, Array, 1)
    #6 {main}

• Have you tried plugging the drive into a powered USB hub and then plug the powered hub into the Pi.

• if I SSH into the raspberry Pi and issue fdisk -L it gives me the ouput as per the attachment, is the small /dev/sda1 listed as Microsoft reserved causing the problem ?

Disk /dev/sda: 465.7 GiB, 500074283008 bytes, 976707584 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 97393FDB-0ABE-47E6-93BC-C9C057E1ECDD

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 34 262177 262144 128M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/sda2 264192 976705535 976441344 465.6G Microsoft basic data

root@raspberrypi:~#

• OK, just a guess here, it looks like the drive has been pulled from an M$ windows setup and also guessing it is formatted to NTFS (as it has a GPT partition table)..

This is what I would do... Download and run a live cd on a PC of GParted. Using this tool delete all the partitions on the USB drive and then recreate the partition table as MBR. Then format the drive as FAT32 being USB. GPT partition tables are required for large drives over 2Tb and PC's running a UEFI BIOS. If you are setting up the 500Gb drive as USB storage on a Pi, use FAT32 if you wish to remove the drive and use the data elsewhere. NTFS will give you no end of issues due to security anf linux filesystems (EXT) are far better for network storage non removable..

(And the reason I said use a powered USB hub is that Pi's USB slots may struggle powering external mechanical hard drives which is also dependent on the caddy used).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!