Project Cable cleanup- My NAS

• Hey guys,

So I thought I'd share my NAS setup. This case/pc used to be my "all-in-one" PC running running Win7 / Emby, with data software raided with FlexRAID.

I wanted something more reliable for a media server, FlexRAID had a few bugs and Emby Server wasn't the best on Win7.

The nuts and bolts of the specs are:

CPU: i5 2500K
    RAM: 16GB (complete overkill, even with all all the docker containers)

Storage:

SnapRAID Pool: 7 x Data Drives ( 4 x 4TB, 2 x 2TB, 1 x 1.5TB) and 2 x Parity (both 6TB) = 19.5TB usable

1 x 500GB WB Black (for TV recording)
    2 x 120GB SSD (one for OS, the other acts as a incoming download drive for SABNZB or the Emby DB)
    1 x 3TB as a general backup drive for images / data for other PCs in the house. Currently sitting in the HDD Dock at the top of the case but will go in the bay that the DVD drive is taking at the moment when hte 5.25" caddy arrives.

So 11 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5", with room for one more 3.5" drive.

Case is a CM 690 ii with an ICY 5 in 3 drive enclosure.

8 x HDDs are running of an LSI 9211-8i, the remaining on the onboard.

The cable management was atrocious before this weekend, check out the pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/abqsBxGscDpw9hoD9

Installed a modular PSU to help out, but the side panel takes a LOT of force to close :)

Lindsay

• @linds1234,

I see how you installed those fans to exhaust the hot air from the drives. I will try to do that..... and pretty much I will use your build as a guide for me hehe. I have a spare case which is similar to yours and just looking for a used mobo with a decent cpu. I currently have a pretty old pentium computer and it is btx so can't put more in it :/

• The fan exhausting works decently, ideally it would have been better if 2 x 120mm fans would have fit in the front intake. The drives in the top bays get nice airflow with a push-pull effect happening. The disks in the lower bays have the fan pushing to the front of the case, not a lot of options there. Unless I put 2 x 80mm fans below the 140mm one in the front...and flip the 120mm around... maybe... :)

BTX...I honestly had to look that up, never heard of it before!

• The fan exhausting works decently, ideally it would have been better if 2 x 120mm fans would have fit in the front intake. The drives in the top bays get nice airflow with a push-pull effect happening. The disks in the lower bays have the fan pushing to the front of the case, not a lot of options there. Unless I put 2 x 80mm fans below the 140mm one in the front...and flip the 120mm around... maybe... :)

BTX...I honestly had to look that up, never heard of it before!

I think you have a pretty good airflow the way it is ;) but looking forward to your other idea as well.

BTX is an old mobo style, now atx are the most common, just like the one you have there. For example, BTX connects to the right side, and ATX to the left (like yours)

Having said that, my old (BTX) computer wont be sufficient for what I want, specially if I want to build something like yours hehe. So I got the case (ATX) already and a coworker is gonna "donate" me his previous mobo with i3 cpu, which is gonna be great for my project.

cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!