Raid5 Disappears After Every Reboot

• Let me preface this by saying that I've been running OMV for about 2 years with a single R5 and NEVER had any problems.

Within the last month, I've had 2 major issues when adding drives to an existing array. Onne (Raid5 Missing, File System Missing) forced me to build a new array on a clean OMV 3 install. For the past 2 years, I've been running OMV 2.

After I built the new array I backed it up to an external drive and to B2(or at least some of the data to B2 - I'm still not 100% sure all the data copied over but that is a different story!.

I moved (not copied) from the external back to the new array and all was great! I then went to add a new drive so I powered off the machine, plugged in the drive, powered it back on --- no array!

I revisited the thread up top and tried to follow some of the same steps, only this time I created a new array. The new array started to resync right away so I felt pretty good thinking the data would come back. It completed and after about 2 hours, the first time, I was unable to mount the filesystem (did I overwrite it when I created the new array?). I did not touch anything with the filesystem in OMV. As a matter of fact, the original one still shows up in the GUI as "missing".

I rebooted the machine at this point thinking it might let me mount the fs after a clean reboot - array is gone, again! I went through the same process and waited another 2 hours. Again, never touching the filesystem. Same thing.

At this point, I started recovering data from my external drive to yet another external drive. I was able to recover some data, but I can tell its not all there. I'm about to start downloading data from B2 but that will be slow and expensive but whatever. I just want my data back!

What am I doing wrong with OMV and arrays -- is my data gone after I created the new array?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

is my data gone after I created the new array?

data is definitely gone after creating a new array.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I should have done assemble, right?

yep.

Why would it say resynching if it is a new array?

Create a new array has to sync just like an existing array. Did it say sync after creation but resync after you rebooted?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Always said resynching from the get-go. I understand a new array has to sync, but resynching throws me off.

Did it say that in the OMV web interface or somewhere else?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Command line and OMV web interface.

I guess maybe it always says that? I haven't setup an array in a while now.

• Code
    root@omv:~# blkid
    /dev/sda1: PARTUUID="501ac000-c1cf-45db-999b-185ed0acd703"
    /dev/sdc1: PARTUUID="5626b318-e9f3-4deb-a216-01bbf4260cc7"
    /dev/sdb1: PARTUUID="b34a2f99-0f8b-4882-9c33-9dc301a5a0ca"
    /dev/sdd1: PARTUUID="78476d9c-d1ce-4e93-b280-11eb8eb18cd9"
    /dev/sde1: PARTUUID="853258a8-49b8-4e51-a049-0ca28e0d0182"
    /dev/sdf1: UUID="e1cc774b-91da-4293-b459-d1c6e5ae6a2e" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="7ca6db92-01"
    /dev/sdf5: UUID="e4068c38-130b-4afc-94b6-8413cc16b93d" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="7ca6db92-05"

I'm guessing this means, without a doubt, that my array is gone. <X<X<X

• Offizieller Beitrag

It means the array isn't start and assembled. Even if the array was showing up there, you created a new array and your data is gone (although maybe recovered by photorec).

• It means the array isn't start and assembled. Even if the array was showing up there, you created a new array and your data is gone (although maybe recovered by photorec).

Given my current state of affairs, if I wanted to try PhotoRec should I create the array again and wait for it to finish resynching?

cat /proc/mdstat shows nothing at all as of right now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Given my current state of affairs, if I wanted to try PhotoRec should I create the array again and wait for it to finish resynching?

I would generally say that anytime you do something that writes to the drive, it lessens the chance of recovery. I really don't have a good suggestion. I've never had to recover data from a failed array.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!