Drive failing, how best to proceed (snapraid)

• So SMART sent me two emails:
    Device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E5PER6EA [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device info:WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0, S/N:WD-WCC4E5PER6EA, WWN:5-0014ee-2b874c60a, FW:82.00A82, 4.00 TB
    And:
    Device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E5PER6EA [SAT], ATA error count increased from 2 to 3

Device info:WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0, S/N:WD-WCC4E5PER6EA, WWN:5-0014ee-2b874c60a, FW:82.00A82, 4.00 TB

And SMART in OMV says it has some bad sectors, so not completely dead. However my daily SnapRAID cron job quit hashing at 15%, did not sync, but then did a scrub and reported 2342 file errors. Are the scrub file errors because the sync wasn't done? Email log attached.

How should I proceed? Get a new drive and run a fix command before attempting any more syncs? Disable daily cron so no syncs are attempted until new drive can be installed?

Thanks!

• No replies so far. Can or should I replace the drive as described in the snapraid manual? Or can I use the plugin GUI to simply edit the physical drive that the bad volume is pointed to and then run a fix? Does the gui let you select which drive to fix?

• I ended up replacing two drives. I found it super easy to use the plugin GUI to edit the drive information to point to the new drive. I had spare empty hard drive slots, so it went like this:

• insert new drive, format and mount it.
    • use snapraid gui to edit drive entry for bad drive to point to new drive
    • run snapraid fix. Can either use plugin gui or shell. I prefer using a shell for these type of commands that will run for hours. If i use the web gui, when i come back my login will have timed out and I cant see what happened.
    • run a check if you want, or sync and you're done
    • old drive will be unreferenced at this point so it can be wiped, unmounted, and removed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!