Beiträge von jollyrogr

That does look neat. Offsite backup is ideal but I would neat a bit more upload speed. And I would need to build another 30tb NAS.

While I was reminding you of that, that message was really for other people reading this. You are free to do whatever you want. I think it is strange that you are willing to risk backup on something that provides availability and redundancy but are worried about losing one file. But if it works for you, so be it.

Not sure I get what you mean there. I like snapraid because it provides redundancy (snapraid is really not for availability IMO) and data protection without having to invest in more drives for a 1 to 1 backup. As my drives age and as larger drives become cheaper, I could start to look into adding a second array for backing up the first.

My first server only had 8 bays and my current one has 24, so I do have room to expand a bit.

Sounds like you are using snapraid as backup and snapraid isn't backup (just like raid).

Yeah that's pretty much what I am doing and it has worked well for the last 6 years or however long I've been running this (since omv2). So there is a level of risk I have accepted and I'm not going to increase it by automating the sync.

Have you tried my script? Has many logics to prevent unwanted syncs.

Nice update to the original script, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it still just uses a threshold value to determine if a sync will be performed. If a single file is corrupted due to a bad sector on a disk and your threshold is >1, then it will sync and wipe out any possibility of recovering that file. I'm not interested in that. It isn't that difficult to manually sync my array when adding/removing files.

Seems like the plugin (I assume that is what you mean by automation) could be enhanced if people provided suggestions.

The plugin is fine. By automation I was referring to the diff script. I'm not sure there's any enhancement that would make me trust it. If there are changes to the array, I want to know what they are before syncing.

I don't trust the automation either. I run a diff and sync manually after adding/removing files on the server. I manually run scrubs periodically, not as often as I probably should.

IMO OMV is a Debian based NAS and does an excellent job reliably serving my network. All the necessary plugins are there. I don't use Docker for anything because there aren't any core functions that need it.

It's almost certainly the backplane unless your HBA is stripping packets/headers, which would be crazy. I tried requesting a couple samples from AMI of the MG9094 (still "solderable") but unsurprisingly never heard back. I couldn't even find a proper datasheet for _ANY_ of the controllers no matter manufacturer or age.

AMI backplane controller matrix (PDF)

Makes sense because the case is a Norco that I'm not even sure is made anymore and the backplane is made by God knows who. It was what I had before I got the supermicro 846. I'd like to retire the Norco and get another supermicro (826 or 836) for a backup server. It's actually been trouble free for the 7 years it's been in service but I would like to move to a rackmount enclosure since I have a rack now.

Sure, but the association of which physical drive is on /dev/sdX is not guaranteed, not even with a backplane module. Of course you could mean that you're simply flashing the light on which ever driver is broken/focused, which obviously works and is good enough. But if you don't have a proper backplane module, how do you do that? You can't.

Correct, so you need to verify sdX nomenclature first. All you need to do is identify the drive in the OMV web UI by UUID and /dev/sdX and then open a terminal and use ledctl command to flash the LED. Though it certainly does not work on all machines. It works great on my 24 bay supermicro but not on the other 8 bay no-name machine. I'm not sure if it's the HBA or the backplane that is the problem...