Some questions from new DIY NAS user

• Hi there,

I´m a little new in the community of DIY NAS-Systems. I am from germany. This is my first try to get NAS things working.
    I read a lot about setting up OpenMediaVault and things worked quiet good. I use the ASROCK J3455 ITX with 4GB of Kingston DDR3L.
    Before I got this system, I tried to test OMV 3 and 4 within my Virtual Box under Win10.

With the new hardware,I installed in non UEFI Mode with CMS enabled and WoL on. Also I used parameters acpi=off to get rid of the kernel support problems, the apollo lake cpus have. My installation worked fine and fast this way.

After that I integrated the Extras for OMV 4 Repo and installed the backports kernel over the web gui.
    Also I decided to install autoshutdown and virus tool. I enabled s.m.a.r.t checks.

All that I tested in the virtual mashine at first.

Until that, there were no problems at all.

Than I connected two older drives, a Western 1TB green and a Samsung 2TB HD204 Eco to the system to try a little with shares.

Both of the drives were filled under Windows and have ntfs file systems on it.

I got the mount of the Samsung drive working, after that I was able to start SMB share for the directories.

The first real problem was the Western drive. It was shown under drives and I was able to mount it. After that the drive was shown active. Now I tried to share or open a folder on it, but the list did not show the drive at all.

My first question: Is it a problem to mount shares on ntfs formatted drives in OMV?

The only way to get rid of the problem was to wipe the whole drive and rebuild it with ext4. After that the shares worked again.

The Samsung drive now has other problems. Besides the ntfs data partition of about 1,6GB I used the Samsung to boot from a small ext4 partition with other linux on it in the past. I decided to delete this partition now. After that I wanted to build a new partition ext4 in the free space but the add-function is not able to find the free space on the drive. Is that normal behavior?

Also this drive seems to make spinup problems and s.m.a.r.t check reports that spinup took too long in the past. In OMV this drive is configured to spin down after 20 minutes of inactivity but every time I open the dashboard or the drives list, it spins up and when I change window to other options and back to drives list, you can hear it spin up again. Also this causes a delay of up to 10 seconds while the drive is checked.

I think it is broken and will disconnet it this evening.

The last question is about tranfer speeds. I tried to send some bigger video files between my Western ext4 drive and the main PC over smb. In some cases speed is around 113 MB/sec but most of the time transfer speed is only 42 MB/sec. In both cases the CPU has nothing else to do. I got the problem in both directions. Is there anyone with an idea, why transfer speeds are so different? The PCs are connected with AVM Fritzbox 6590 Cable. I have Gigabit LAN over cable only. My old NAS has maximum transfer speed 60-80MB/sec because there was not enough CPU and Ram on NAS side. This was not great but rock stable.

Shouldn´t the speeds be al little more.... reliable? When transfer speed is 113 MB/sec it stays this way over the whole transfer with little fluctuations. But is it around 40, it stays there. Ethernet Controller shows 1000 MBit connection the whole time.

Thanks for your help

OMV 4.0.16 Kernel 4.14

System: ASROCK J3455 ITX 8GB DDR

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Polyamid ()

• You can mount NTFS, I would not recommend it at all. Stick to EXT4 or BTRFS or similar.

You could clear your drives with console tool or boot up a Gparted-Stick

Spinup failure is due insufficiant power supply or disk pre-failure.

Gbit should offer ~115 MB/s, depending on file size and things like OS, Encryption, WLAN etc. Check your network calbes and switch/router.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• I will wipe the drives and make them all EXT4. Hope the problems with shares will be solved this way.

I also think this spin problem is pre failure behavior. I remember the Samsung already showed error massages of the type "Problems with harddrive, backup data" under windows years ago. I cannot expect to get this faulty thing working. Good to know that such spinup behavior could have something to do with disk failure.

I will also try to plug the NAS directly to the router. At the moment it is plugged to a gigabit switch. Also I can change the ethernet cable. If speed will not be better, I´ll give this samba tuning tips linked under common problems here a try.

OMV 4.0.16 Kernel 4.14

System: ASROCK J3455 ITX 8GB DDR

• It should make no difference whether the NAS is plugged into your router or your Gbit-Switch, since both should have Gbit-LAN-ports.

I would not trust this Samsung drive when it shows the mentioned behavior.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!