ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe Realtek 8111E can't go Gigabit!

• Hello everybody!
    I just installed OMV 0.3 on my system and I have a big problem. My ethernet card won't show it can go Gigabit!
    I have an ASUS EM351-Deluxe with a Realtek® 8111E PCIe Gigabit LAN controller on.
    Well, I can't go for the 1000MBps... The ethtool for my setup shows me:

Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 100baseT/Full :evil:
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: umbg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
    Link detected: yes

Where is the problem? I tried to manually set with ethtool -s autoneg on speed 1000 but this block transmission and the light on my router (Netgear DGND3700) and on the board turn off.
    I suppose I have to change board :cry: , pleas tell me I don't have to.
    F*** you ASUS!

• Uh, yes it can. Test it with a live cd of something like ubuntu. If it not going gigabit then maybe you should try updating latest bios. I just checked old forum and it worked for them. I have one running WHS 2011 and gigabit not a prob. Checked old forum cuz didn't know if there was a driver issue but it seemed to work fine on install.

• Hello koopa,

try upgrading to a newer Kernel. The easiest way to do this is to log into your machine as the root user. After that open /etc/apt/sources.list and add the following line:

Code
    deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main

Now update your packages by running apt-get update and install the newer Kernel (it's 3.2.0 at the moment):
    apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-2.6-amd64

After rebooting your server you will find another entry in your GRUB bootloader which should be select automatically.

Cheers! :geek:

• Thank Dennis for your detailed answer, I'll try the kernel update tomorrow evening. Just wondering why the kernel OMV 0.3 uses is out of date! :!:
    Stay tuned

• Hello koopa,

the Kernel itself is not outdated. OMV is based on Squeeze, the stable release of Debian. The default Kernel of Squeeze is 2.6 but this "older" version may have problems with newer networking chipsets you can find on Intel Atom or AMD Fusion mainboards.

Personally, I have just ordered the exact same mainboard from ASUS yesterday to build a new NAS based on OMV, and Debian definitely supports the Realtek chipset in one of the mentioned Kernel versions.

Regards!

• It runs very fast with an actual kernel.
    Im on testing repository.
    Transferspeed on cifs (with a cheap router) is about 88-96MB/s.
    I think its client or router limited in my case.

• He should do as I said above and test his board with a live cd. If it goes gigabit with a live cd there may be a prob with his omv iso. This would also rule out a hardware, or bios, issue so why not get smart instead wasting time messing with the kernel. Again, this board worked fine for other people on install.

• Thx guys for the tips. I'll try both of them and let you know. Maybe there's a problem with my OMV iso...
    Ah, I have to add I encountered the same problem with my previous freeNAS installation, same board.

• I notice that my router shows amber light (green light is Gigabit) when the ethernet cable is attached to my NAS. But if I switch the cables of my desktop PC with that of the NAS I get the same result. So I suppose it's not a cable problem.
    The funny thing is that the light is amber even if the NAS is turned off!

• Just configured my new NAS with motherboard ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU . Updated the BIOS to the latest version. After the update OMV was installed on a 8GB Kingston CF card connected to the IDE port via CF-to-IDE adapter. The OMV is updated to the latest updated with all the available plugins from OMG-plugins.org.
    It is working perfect, no bumps not headaches. The NIC card is working at full speed 1GB.
    Great purchase. Looking to buy few more of those configurations.

• Zitat von "koopa"

The funny thing is that the light is amber even if the NAS is turned off!

That's because the NIC is always on in order to perform the wake on lan.

OMV last 64bit on AMD Sempron LE-1250 - 4GB ram - Leaf Computer 4 port SATA II pci
    6x1TB WD Green RAID5 - IDE 80GB+60GB JBOD - 60GB SSD OS
    NZXT Source 210 Elite

• Well so far everyone has been able to use these NICs in Debian with no issues at gigabit speeds (myself included). From what you posted, the NIC advertises gigabit capability, but the link is only detected at 100Mbps. That could also be an issue with the RJ45 jack on the board, a pin that is bent is enough to cause this issue.

I would advise you to replace that board if I were you (sounds defective to me), or simply add a new NIC if it has the space for it, that's assuming your switch is not the one to blame.

• So, I booted Mint 13 from USB and...

• lshw shows:
      description: Ethernet interface
      product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
      vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
      logical name: eth1
      version: 06
      serial: [REMOVED]
      size: 100Mbit/s
      capacity: 1Gbit/s

width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
      configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw ip=[REMOVED] latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s

resources: irq:47 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:d0004000-d0004fff memory:d0000000-d0003fff
    • ethtool shows:
      Settings for eth1:
      Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
      Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
      1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full

Supported pause frame use: No
      Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
      Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
      1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
      Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
      Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
      Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
      Speed: 100Mb/s
      Duplex: Full

Port: MII
      PHYAD: 0
      Transceiver: internal
      Auto-negotiation: on
      Supports Wake-on: pumbg
      Wake-on: g
      Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
      drv probe ifdown ifup
      Link detected: yes

So, what does it mean? Is it a motherboard problem? A router interface problem?

• Netgear DGND3700 v1. It has 4 Gigabit ports. The one connected to my desktop PC shows yellow light, but the one of my NAS is amber. It means the router is working but there's a problem with my NAS... I already changed ports and cable but the result is the same.

• Just don't bother with this anymore. If is not the cable, nor the router/switch, is an issue with the onboard NIC or connector. Pretty much a motherboard issue at this point. We know the chip is capable of 1Gb, and Debian supports it. The only thing I can truly recommend, if you don't want to give up, is to inspect the physical Ethernet jack on the motherboard and see if there are any bad pins. The other alternative, install Windows XP/Vista/7 on a separate drive with this board, install the network driver, and see if the NIC links up at gigabit.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!