Idiots guide for an idiot novice

• I'm trying to build a DIY NAS.
    Previous experience of open source SW = Zero
    Hardware = Atom MoBo, 32gb SSD

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this right but all the explanations/walk throughs/guides seem to miss the mark for me. Either I am too old for this or am missing something obvious (if the latter - I apologise for bothering you).

As I understand it: I need a clean Debian install (debian-7.5.0-i386-CD-1) which I managed today using a burned CD. I even had a chance to install an additional package (unetbootin) for Debian thinking that I could install OMV using that route. It went surprisingly well considering my lack of knowledge
    So I reboot into BIOS and choose USB disk which contains (openmediavault_0.5.48_i386) OMV .iso. It appears to be going OK until the install asks to select a mirror (I chose the same as the previously successful Debian install) to install additional packages. FAIL. Unable to query the server, tried another for GRUB boot loader, FAIL, tried all the other options for boot loaders, FAIL.
    Basically the installation stopped there.
    So went back with just a CD of the OMV boot disk and it posts a copy write screen of one line and stops there.

Please can someone help so I can just get on and start using the NAS.

• "and it posts a copy write screen of one line and stops there."

Does it say "ISOLINUX"? Then deactivate the serial port in your BIOS.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Why are you using the 386 package??? Is your hardware old? and not 64 bit? If your hardware is 64 bit capable you should use an amd64 package. The amd64 packages are good for both AMD and Intel motherboard/cpus that are 64 bit capable.

BTW- Most atom cpus are 64 bit capable.

• Except first (and IIRC second) gen / (330/ION etc.). ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Oh, yeah, you're right. But some were not equipped with 64bit... ^^

Greetings
    David

• Ok, That helped and I'm up and running thanks.
    So the next thing is to install some disks.
    I have four available. Two from a Thecus NAS device currently in use OR two from a desktop (Windows 7) RAID setup also in use.
    My next question is, can I remove the drives from the desktop system and install on my OMV sys without losing data? I'd rather keep the Thecus system in tact until the new one beds in.
    The MoBo didn't have enough SATA connections for a SSD and 2 Data disks so i installed a PCI card which apparently includes RAID hardware and 2 SATA ports. It remains to be seen if OMV can access this or if I should even bother!?
    Cheers

PS. Mine is the 330 1.6ghz Atom

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!