Posts by davidh2k

/dev/sda is the physical device and /dev/sdaX is the logic partition on it. /srv/dev-disk-by-label-main is actually the moint point of the filesystem /dev/sdaX. Think of it as you drive letter D:\ under windows.

Greetings
    David

i5 8600
    Asrock Z370
    16/32Gb ram

I'd rather suggest to save money and go with a Ryzen 5 2600 instead, that alone should save you 100 bucks. Also 16GB RAM should be plenty, if you don't plan using on ZFS...

2 x Sata Pci expasion (4xSata per PCI Card)

Some boards have plenty of SATA Connectors (8+, some even 10): https://geizhals.de/?cat=mbam4&xf=2962_8

10Gbe Lan

From those listed above, only one has 5Gbe and another has 10Gbe. The first one around 180 €, the other at 250 €.

I have choose the i5 8600 for its 6 cores and for its integrated video card (hd630) that will be used until i will can change it with the p2000 (3 to 6 months)

Whats the reason behind the P2000? Seems like overkill to add a dedicated GPU into the NAS.

It's possible to use the potential of the video card with OMV or i need Windows for this (With Plex)?

You mean for transcoding? Even the CPU should do just fine there: https://www.anandtech.com/show…700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/12

With my new nas i will change my Raid 5 to a Raid 6. The problem is that windows does not support Raid 6, for this i want use OMV. A hardware raid solution its not possible due to the few PCI slots.

You got two PCI-E x16 Slots on most boards. ;)

Stupid question ... I can install OMV on two USB sticks (in Raid 1)

A. Don't install OMV on a USB Stick, only if you really have to, but then use the fs2ram Plugin to lessen the writes to the USB Stick... B. You can only do RAID on the OS Disk if you install Debian first and install OMV afterwards to it.

create RAID 6 with my HDDs, transfer all the files and then install Windows and Plex on an SSD and make Plex take the data from the Raid6 ? If its possible, i tink its a waste of resource, right?

You mean installing it in a VM? Then yes, you could expose the Files to a Windows VM (over the network). Installing it as Dualboot? No, not possible as Windows will be unable to access the Linux Raid Array.

Greetings
    David

With the issues in running consumer grade networking equipment, with marginal "just enough" performance, I think it's time to spend a few dollars for Ubiquity wifi at the new house. With @hoppel118 's endorsement, your mention of it, and a bit of research along the way, I haven't found anyone that's unhappy with it. As it seems to me, the GUI console alone is worth a good part of the purchase price.

The new house is already hardwired but I'm looking at wifi for a barn, a shed and a cabin with distances from the house ranging between 100 to 400'. Ubiquity's long range offerings seem to be a good choice.

Glad to hear back when you got your equipment. ;)

Greetings
    David

For Mesh its probably the best setup and forget you can get. As a prosumer I personaly would always try to have a wired uplink as this drastically increases the overall throughput on the wifi. But even replacing your routers wifi with an AC AP Pro boosts your wifi drastically and depending on the home, even one could suffice.

I'd say even the amplifi is well worth the 320 bucks, especially if having two wired APs (if those are even a neccessity) are not an option.

Greetings
    David

In my opinion it's exactly the opposite. Using FTP in 2019 is only ok for anonymous access (sharing public data/downloads) but using FTP (and not at least FTPS or SFTP which are two entirely different beasts) with authentication these days is insane. https://www.ssh.com/ssh/ftp/server

Well the OP asked to access his own private files, so while your statement may be true in a general sight, it may confuse OP in what he should do to achieve accessing his files.

@Parmachin as others have stated, try to get a look at @TechnoDadLifes Videos for installing Nextcloud, this should be the best solution for you.

Greetings
    David

Installing OpenMediaVault on a Desktop enabled can break your Desktop in the way, that the system User is no longer root but a OMV specific one, that locks you out of GUI actions that require the administrative password. I don't know if that behaviour is still a thing on the most recent Debian + OMV.

Greetings
    David

The 'article 13' that is talked about says that sites have to check content before its uploaded if it infringes copyright. But that has to be done via national law - and has to be established in a 2 year timeframe. They're also not yet sure if the so called uploadfilter will even be in the national law. Also, note that 'article 13' has yet to be "accepted" by all EU Goverment Leaders. Germany could still veto it away, allthough chances for that are very low!

Greetings
    David

Images

• OUTLOOK_2019-03-27_10-22-39.png

Du musst dich mit SSH oder lokal einloggen und in der Datei /etc/apt/sources.list ein paar Zeilen für das backports repository entfernen, welche nun automatisch in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list gepflegt werden.

Guß
    David

I'm trying to undestand if my configuration could be succesfully migrated to the new openmediavault release

If you install from scratch we advise to save /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and have it available when you reconfigure your new installation. Copying this file to your new Installation is not advised.

I would like to detach the 80GB HD and then add two new 80GB in mirror configuration on the mobo.

Any specifics why you want to migrate to a mirror on the OS Disk? We highly recommended against a RAID configuration in the Motherboard, since it's called fake raid and doesn't give you any benefits at all - it rather has the downside that the raid may no longer work if you have to move it to another Motherboard.

My question is if I do this the new system will automatically recognize that there is a software raid 5 on the other 5 disk or I risk to loose all my data?

It will automatically detect the raid + filesystem and will allow you to mount it again.

Greetings
    David