creating Raid fails. no raid is showing. suspect unsupported hardware

• I downloadede the latest OMW and installed in a supermicro NAS I have bought:

MBD-SM/I/A1SRI-2558F Supermicro A1SRi-2558F Atom C2558, SoC
    MEM-HY/451A7AFR8 Hynix 4GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC SO-DIMM
    HDD-SG/ST2000VN000 Seagate NAS 2TB, 5900RPM, SATA - Disks for raid
    SSD-K/SV300S37A/60G Kingston V300 serie 60GB SATA SSD - disk for OMW

When i try to make a raid it starts syncronizing. And then leave because this takes some time. When i get back i have a unresponsive web interface so i reload. I go to raid and there is no raid. If i try to create a new raid i don't see the disks avalible. The physical disk section do see the disks though..

I fear that it may be because my hardware it not supported?

Thanks!

Casper

About me:

8 years experince as a IT consultant both filling the role as gerneral IT guy for small business to the role as expert within network, IT security, Storage and Virtualization
    Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT
    Webpage: http://www.dingit.dk

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you see the drives, then the hardware is supported. I would try installing the backports 3.16 kernel (button in omv-extras) if you don't already have it installed. What is the output of:

cat /proc/mdstat
    fdisk -l
    blkid

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi Ryecoaaron,

Thanks for answering and reassuring me that its not a hardware problem :)

I the mean time I have tried with openfiler and freenas to see if that made a diference but got other problems there that didn't get me started yet..

I will reinstall OMW as soon as i get the time and try out the plugin backports

what does backports do?

also i failed to mention I got some popups in the web gui which i googled and let me to a thread here, i can't find anymore, that said it may be because of disk errors.. but i must say it doesn't look like discs errors in my e

About me:

8 years experince as a IT consultant both filling the role as gerneral IT guy for small business to the role as expert within network, IT security, Storage and Virtualization
    Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Offizieller Beitrag

The backports 3.16 kernel is a newer kernel (3.16 > 3.2) with newer drivers. It is installed using the omv-extras plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• ok this is wierd..

installed the omv-extras plugin but reading the plugin text it says it allows me to install the backports .. how do i do that?

status as it is now, and this is a re-install, is that no disks are shown when going to raid and clicking Create show NO disks.

they are present in the physical disk option

So a small change from allowing me to create the raid and not showing after sync to just not showing disks at all..

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a Kernel tab in omv-extras. The toolbar on this tab will have the Install Backports button on it.

Assuming the disks have no data on them, you should wipe each in the Physical Disks tab. Then you should be able to select them when creating a new Raid array.

• do i need to install kernel headers?

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Offizieller Beitrag

The install backports kernel will install kernel headers as well. And remember, just because there is a button there does not mean you need to click on it :)

• Hi Ryeconaaron,

ok things definantly runs better now with the backports running :)

I got my raid up and running and it seemed fine.. untill i rebooted to test if it still worked..

after reboot SDA was gone from raid and it was listed as degraded. I still see SDA in the physical disk section. So now im seriously suspecting that I actually do have a broken disk. Can we confirm this somehow? and not a bad port on the mobo?

I have made a offline smart test of the disk. I assumed it being offline it would also be the one that would give the most feedback? I don't get where is the results though..

I also ran the commands you posted in the first post in hope of them showing something

cat /proc/mdstat

Code
    root@UPNAS03:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
    md0 : active raid5 sdb[1] sde[3] sdc[2]
          5860148736 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [_UUU]
    unused devices: <none>

fdisk -l

blkid

Code
    root@UPNAS03:~# blkid
    /dev/sdd1: UUID="d31dc690-21d1-46f2-92e3-674513905b5e" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdd5: UUID="c6297c62-4e7a-4b79-bb52-22f73e590500" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sda: UUID="572f877d-76a7-5d99-8053-ed99b98f5563" UUID_SUB="2361e4fb-df3f-d8                                                                                                             b6-8445-00952c73b1fc" LABEL="UPNAS03:DATA" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdc: UUID="572f877d-76a7-5d99-8053-ed99b98f5563" UUID_SUB="6524ae52-c1f9-3e                                                                                                             d5-c5d6-c7678f5a8f9f" LABEL="UPNAS03:DATA" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sde: UUID="572f877d-76a7-5d99-8053-ed99b98f5563" UUID_SUB="be783b21-b0bd-29                                                                                                             ff-8497-d4dee9a64ae2" LABEL="UPNAS03:DATA" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdb: UUID="572f877d-76a7-5d99-8053-ed99b98f5563" UUID_SUB="9636bb4e-9b90-04                                                                                                             82-1078-882c1b101ab2" LABEL="UPNAS03:DATA" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/md0: LABEL="Data" UUID="8aa8c2d4-2eca-4354-a68e-785b903cf7a6" TYPE="ext4"

I can confirm that i can still access the NAS over SMB and create and delte a file

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• I think I found the smart test log

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Offizieller Beitrag

Under Storage, go to SMART. Then select the Devices tab and select /dev/sda. Click Information and select the Attributes tab. Resize the window so we can see all the parameters and post a screenshot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Parameters 7 and 199 are worrying.

• I get param 7 errors on all the new disks.. i find it incredible that i would get 4 disks that were all broken.. i do know there is a good change they came from the same batch but still how often does it happen..

can you think of anything else that could happen to create param 7 errors on all disks?

but the 199 param error is only on one disk..

I have also put in another disk to test if it would start making errors.. but currently no..

the OS disk is a SSD.. how does it look in the smart start. Its the attached file in this post..

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those two parameters don't necessarily mean the drive is failing. Just worrying. I would worry more about 199 than 7 especially if only one drive has the 199 errors.

• also i had to reinstall to test something.. and now, after backports is installed and so on physical disk shows all disk but raid doesn't.. only shows 4 out of 5.. i'm also suspecting maybe I have a controller issue..

like if 4 of the disk where one is the SSD OS disk is connected to one controlle and the last connect to the second controller.. maybe MD has a requirement for disks to be on same controller?

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. I have created arrays on three controllers before.

• I realise now that my fdisk -l compared to the physical disk view in omw web interface is not the same.

im missing one disk in fdisk -l but physical disk shows the all..

i don't understand why this can happen? i would assume the command OMW uses to see disk is the fdisk -l command but maybe it isn't so?

EDIT:
    !!! NO SCRATCH THAT !!! im seeing things! SDC is there

and i now see all disks in raid manager... im starting to think i have been brain farting this and hat it IS working with backports

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von offerlam ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!