RAID 5 Degragated - New drive got shrinked

• Hello,

I had a HDD failure and a degragated RAID5.
    I have replaced the drive and recovered my RAID.

Everthing worked well for 2 days and today after SMART Tools run, wierd thing happeded:
    1. my new drive got shrinked (see attached Picture)
    2. my RAID is now degragated.
    3. when i try to access File System or RAID Managment then the process: scsi_eh_8 takes all the CPU process power.

Can someone help me rebuild my RAID without data loose?

This is my Degragated RAID info:

• ssh into your sever and post the output of this command:
    mdadm --detail /dev/md127

Assuming that md127 is your broken raid5 array...

One thing that you can try as well is to stop and mount your array in read only mode.
    mdadm --readonly /dev/md127

• Thank you, here is the outcome of: mdadm --detail /dev/md127

Since I'm new to Linux, can you help me with commands of mount/unmount as you suggested?

• Your array (Raid5) normally needs 3 disks but one is failed. Very likely when you added your replacement disk it wasn't empty which can create a lot of troubles.

To evacuate the data (that's the low risk approach) set it to read only prior to copying data to an other disk set.
    To do this you would unmount your file system
    umount /dev/md127
    Stop the array
    mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    And start it again in readonly mode:
    mdadm --readonly /dev/md127
    And mount it again with
    mount /dev/md127
    Now all of your data should be accessible but of course in readonly mode. You can't rebuild in this mode but you can copy data to an evacuation disk.

If you want to recover / rebuild the array you need to set it to writable first - use the same steps than above (unmount, stop, start, mount) but replace --readonly with --readwrite
    mdadm --readwrite /dev/md127

Once your array is set to readwrite it will accept the new disk and it will start to rebuild itself. Prior to adding the new disk please make sure that it is completely empty. You can wipe it with the OMV GUI.
    After this is done you can also can also add the disk with the OMV GUI under Raid Management / Recovery. This should fully do the job.

If you want detailed status messages you can can SSH into your box and run
    watch -n 1 cat /proc/mdstat

Hopefully this gets you back to an healthy setup :)
    Good Luck
    Mic

• Thank you for the detailed info, it's very appreciated.

I have replaced the SATA cable and the drive boot up correctly.
    Then I wiped it via the OMV GUI, restarted and started RAID recovery.

It's running now, let's hope it will last long enough...
    I will update once finished.

thank you :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!