Running Windows on OMV VirtualBox VM

• Hi,

In the last days I tried to get an Windows VM Running on OMV. I tried several things:

• Running latest OMV 2.1 with VirtualBox from OVM Extras. Got VirtualBox to work, but after importing a working VM I created on a different machine, the Windows VM gets stuck on Bootscreen*. No Error, but not booting either.
    • Running latest OMV 2.1 with VirtualBox from OVM Extras. Tried new installation from ISO, but the Install Wizard gets stuck on Bootscreen as well. Tried several options in VB, nothing helped.
    • I thought I should try VB 5. So I used the vb5_install.sh skript. The installation aborts with getting the "unable to find the current sources of your linux kernel" in VB Install log.
    • In the next step, I tried OMV 3 Beta with VirtualBox OMV Extras. I tried to install VirtualBox, but the installation aborts becouse of unmet dependencies like missing phpvirtualbox. I noticed that in the OVM-Extras Menue, there was no VirtualBox Repo to enable, like in OMV 2. Maybe that is the reason?

So, I had no luck running Windows in OMV. Any idea how to fix this, is welcome :)

Regards,
    Stefan

* Bootscreen like this, but without spinning wheel:
    http://img01.deviantart.net/90…en_by_nasrodj-d59e48l.png

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Sounds like something windows doesn't like. Try booting in safe mode (press F8 at boot)

2. Sounds like an issue with your OMV box itself.

3. Install the kernel headers. There is a button in omv-extras to do that.

4. Install the backports kernel with the button in omv-extras. And there is no virtualbox repo in OMV 3.x because it isn't needed.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• - 3 -
    Thanks, that helped. I got VB5 installed and working on the device. Sadly, it seems like the error described in 1 still exists with VB5.

- 4 -
    I tried this as well, resultig in an VB5 installation, where I could not login in phpvirtualbox, getting invalid username or password error.

So, I got VB4 and VB5 to work on OMV2, but both installations show the problem, that Windows won't boot. I tried this on different real and virtual devices. The first was a real machine, second a virtual HyperV Environment and third an OMV in VirtualBox. All three show the same behaviour. Does anybody has an idea, how to fix this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are getting the same results no matter what you do, you are either doing something wrong or there is something wrong with you install media.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I meant the windows install media.

Not sure what you could set wrong. I've never had an issue and I run windows in quite a few VMs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure what to tell you. I don't use virtualbox anymore. I use Proxmox and ESXi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have used virtualbox for a long time and have no idea why you are having so many problems. Try the virtualbox forum.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would've thought some of those things but he is having the same problem on hyper-v, virtualbox, AND native hardware. 64 bit Windows won't boot/install on 32 bit only hardware and doesn't need VT-d.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• I've now got it to work on a different machine. Here are my 4 scenarios:

• Installed OMV in HyperV VM, with VirtualBox inside. VirtualBox Templates only suggests Windows 32 bit, so i tried to install Windows 10 32-bit, which caused this stuck-on-boot-error.+
    • Exact the same with OMV in VirtualBox.
    • Exact the same on native Hardware with Intel Core 2 Duo T8100
    • Now I tried it on an AMD FX 8320 System, and its working. Furthermore, VirtualBox suggests 32 bit and 64 bit templates when creating a VM. I tried 32 bit and its working.

So, I found a way to get it to work, but I don't understand why. Now, I want to assemble my own NAS and choose Hardware for it. Therefore, I just want to make sure, that it will work on the chosen hardware. Does anyone have suggestions, what I should look for when choosing hardware to prevent this boot error?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never had this problem but I would say get something Intel Haswell based or newer. Get something that has an Intel NIC. If you are going to use VMs, put 8 GB ram or more in it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!