Several partitions are suddenly ZFS?! - or system SSD broken???

• My setup can be seen in my signature. I use my data disks in that way that dev/sdb contains our stuff and dev/sdc is used as a backup drive (rsyncing sdb to sdc every night - this was a suggestion by ryecoaaron when I had problems keeping a RAID1 alive [KLICK]).

Anyway, a few days ago I recieved an email that the rsyncing was interrupted (I don't remember the message error; unfortunately I've deleted it), moreover I couldn't reach my backup drive any more. An OMV reboot was stopped with a message something like "fsck was interrupted with error code 8", it's log was this:

I started a live Lubuntu and checked what I thought might be wrong (SMART, badblocks etc.) with no recognizable result.
    But accidentally I discovered that several partitions in my system are now formatted as ZFS?! I know for sure that at least sdc/sdc1 was an ext4 and I'm very sure that sda(x) were the usual debian system formats.

[I don't know why these codes are formatted differently?!]

I am very irritated at the moment: What went wrong and what can I do now with my OMV??? ?(?(

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

I highly doubt they accidentally became zfs. Did you have zfs installed currently or at some point? If those drives were part of zfs at some point, it might just be a leftover label. Boot back into omv and post the output of: blkid

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No, I never did anything with ZFS (far too exotic for my knowledge ;) ) - especially sdb and sdc were formatted as ext4. That's why I am so perplexed now.

With OMV-Extras, Samba, MiniDLNA and rsync no special plugins where installed either, the system was built like 2 years ago and except regular updates nothing was changed then.

I'm going to provide the output ofblkid as soon as I'm home.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• OK, don't ask me why or how but this time my OMV started without any issue - it didn't the last 3 times :(

Moreover I have access again to my files drive as well as to my backup drive...

Here is the blkid:

Code
    /dev/sda1: UUID="019f74d5-7276-4831-a666-dc07db60c6e0" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda5: UUID="aab3e05c-7910-46f9-9a0a-b4cfe72b4ee2" TYPE="swap" 
    /dev/sdb: LABEL="Files" UUID="010a3652-d1b4-45dd-af3a-882509cf45d9" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sdc1: LABEL="BackUp" UUID="cb265027-49b9-413f-a22d-969981092942" TYPE="ext4"

Looks pretty OK to me ?(

I'm absolutely not sure but I do think sdc's UUID has changed - is this possible?!?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe the lubuntu boot ran an fsck and fixed things.

The UUID shouldn't have changed. If it did, it wouldn't mount. What is the output of: cat /etc/fstab

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Sorry I didn't mentioned that (was a little nervous and freaked out the last days): Yes, I ran fsck on every drive with Lubuntu but didn't boot into OMV afterwards.

Hmmmm, doing a ls -l in /media shows a CD-drive - but there isn't one in my OMV?!

Code
    root@OMV:/media# ls -l
    insgesamt 16
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mai 10  2015 010a3652-d1b4-45dd-af3a-882509cf45d9
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jul  7  2015 cb265027-49b9-413f-a22d-969981092942
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mär 12  2015 cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    4 Mär 12  2015 usb -> usb0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mär 12  2015 usb0

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everything looks fine. UUIDs match.

The cdrom directory is just a directory. It isn't telling you that there is a cdrom drive in the machine. If it bothers you that much, delete it.

• Everything looks fine. UUIDs match.

The cdrom directory is just a directory. It isn't telling you that there is a cdrom drive in the machine. If it bothers you that much, delete it.

Ok, the best news in the last days :D
    Thank you VERY much for your assistance - I really appreciate this!

CDRom: Yeah, now that you mention it I see it too that it's a directory X/

But I still somehow wonder what has happended to my OMV that the fsck error 8 showed up and why Lubuntu showed me ZFS...???

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• So my original problem obviously was solved but today, after 24h without any problems, my OMV suddenly went offline (while deleting a lot of GB) and couldn't be reached anymore. After attaching a screen I discovered the error messages shown in the picture.
    After searching the web I discovered some (old) Linux threads where they were talking about dying disks.

Does anybody know these errors and do they mean my system SSD is dying (maybe 2 or 3 years old)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is very typical of failing drives. You would have to look through dmesg to see which drive ata5 is. Did you have the flashmemory plugin installed?

• No, I didn't install the flashmemory plugin since I thought this was only useful for USB-sticks.

What would the dmesg-command be? Sorry for this question, I tried to find out myself but couldn't find a useful combination :-/
    (Amongst others I searched the dmesg manpage).

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even ssd after a couple of years of heavy writes can start failing.

dmesg just shows system log messages.

• Hmm, I don't think we have heavy writing... My wife and me use our OMV mainly for storing our family fotos, some films/tv shows, my ripped cd's (though I just discovered Spotify using RuneAudio on a Pi ;) ) and some files/data backups. So most of the time our OMV doesn't do anything...
    On the other side who knows what computers do all day long... :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm gonna be away a few days but will definitely give a feedback to my problems. Again: Thank you so far!

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

You may not do heavy writing but OMV does with the logs and collected data points. That is why the flashmemory plugin was created.

• Ok, back again. Life can be distracting sometimes... :-/

I keep getting strange results when testing my HDDs. Live-*buntus keep telling me that one HDD is formatted as ZFS (-> sdc.png). Though testing its SMART values don't show any abnormalities (in my opinion).
    When starting my OMV installation it keeps unmounting after several seconds or even completly disappearing under "File Systems".

I think I will return it to WD (I hope they will accept it :-/) and with a new drive everything will be OK.

• Ok, I recieved a new (well, a refurbished) drive today and are hoping that my problems are solved now :/

Another question: I obviously missed to mark the returned drive as removed from my system which now shows it as "N/V". Is there a way to clear that?

• OK, solved it myself: Deleting the used folders once existed on that drive made it deletable.

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!